Yeah, I grew up in Oklahoma and they always tried to teach us that the Civil War was caused by, like, five things that I can't remember right now. Something like: Economy (south, agr. North, industrial), States Rights (to own slaves), and really that is all I remember. But I put something to the effect of those things were caused by slavery and that is still the root of all of the issues and blahblahblah. Anyways, I got like a C or D on it, in AP US Hist in high school. I wrote essentially the same paper in college and I got an a (also in Oklahoma). This isn't really going anywhere, but either my teacher was a bitch, high school just wanted you to repeat what you told them, or there was hell of a conspiracy put together by some redneck assholes at my school board/city/state/(whatever it is that decides these things such as curriculum). Plus, my high school essay was probably done over like 3 weeks of research while my college paper was without a doubt done in a night, probably over night.