Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?  (Read 8888 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 04:25:15 am »

In re: Dave - Oh man... I've said too much.

In re: Kurt - I just went back and read the text of "Vigil".

I already knew it was awesome, but sometimes you forget just how awesome.  Thanks to the multiple medias of the interconnected networks, I can link it here.

He sums it up pretty nicely.   Being a 30 year old, I can tell you I was home sick that day.   I lived in Eastern WA at the time.  I was watching E! of all things.  A few months previous they had snow-day canceled the Spokane date that I was going to go see.   I didn't catch the make up date.  "I'll see 'em next time they come through town".  I was upset because the Breeders were off the ticket, and replaced by the Butthole Surfers.

I want to say that was February, and then was April.   I still feel a little cheated.

The same way I felt cheated 2 years ago next week.   February 20th is my ladyfriend's birthday.   I was reading "The Great White Shark Hunt" when we met.  I know they have problems.  I know our society fucks up anyone who gains a little bit of notice.  It's a cheap, easy, anti-climax.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 05:08:22 am »

My favourite is the "Fine Ham Abounds, Mom" sketch.

That did look like some really fuck*ng good ham.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 07:43:38 am »

I guess this is the place to ask: am I the only person in the world who actually enjoyed Brain Candy?

I'm not sure if my enjoyment of it at a tender age led to my interest in neuroscience, but I think it may be part of a long, weird causal chain.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 08:20:15 am »

I guess this is the place to ask: am I the only person in the world who actually enjoyed Brain Candy?

I'm not sure if my enjoyment of it at a tender age led to my interest in neuroscience, but I think it may be part of a long, weird causal chain.

Well, I'll be able to let you know by next week.  An extremely slow torrent has been running for a few days and it should hopefully be complete by sunup.
Logged
ACHIEVE

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 12:42:55 pm »

But Foley, that dude just looked like a lady I wouldn't be particularly interested in.

Twas and is unnerving.

According to Foley, on a Dinner for Five, members of the crew developed crushes on their female characters, although I suspect it was mostly Foley... There's something about his posture that's still very masculine in drag, but otherwise, it's surprisingly convincing.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 01:50:59 pm »

I guess this is the place to ask: am I the only person in the world who actually enjoyed Brain Candy?

I'm not sure if my enjoyment of it at a tender age led to my interest in neuroscience, but I think it may be part of a long, weird causal chain.

I liked it too, although it did not occur to me to base a career upon it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 02:58:42 pm »

Indeed Dave Foley was the prettiest.

I saw Scott Thomson on his Buddy Cole tour in a tiny comedy club.  He was drunk and sweaty and puffy.  It was all round unfunny, and sort of sad.  He encouraged audience members to buy him drinks while he performed, and many complied.  He was already drunk when he hit the stage, and it jut got progressively worse.  It was just very disappointing - so bad I almost wanted to leave, but it was a tiny club and there was no way to leave without causing a scene.  Apparently the night before our Mayor at the time, Glen "First Openly Gay Mayor in Canada" Murray was in the audience and Buddy/Scott totally humiliated him with a drunken kiss, but my night it was all about watching Thompson get plastered, to the point of wavering in and out of character, giving up/forgetting half way through stories/jokes, etc.

Also, I have never seen Brain Candy. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 03:45:35 pm »

I was just watching a Newradio commentary* where Dave explains that during Brain Candy that basically couldn't stand each other anymore and the last thing they wanted to do was make a movie together. Also, the Halloween episode of that show with Dave in drag is pretty awesome.




*yes the commentaries suck but I keep watching them anyway. I can't help myself.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 05:33:45 pm »

I was a HUGE fan of "Brain Candy". Still am.

When I was in "The Pajama Game" senior year of high school, I talked the advisor into letting me slip a reference to it into my part as the boss of the pajama factory. I got to yell "MY EMPIRE IS CRUMBLING!" It was pretty goddamn sweet. Another person snuck in Brodie's post-coital dance in the elevator from Mallrats.

I... think he didn't explain the reference the way I did.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2007, 08:38:38 pm »

Awesome.

One stage play I was in called for a puppeteer on stage to be putting on a show for the ensamble to be off on the side watching.   I volunteered to make the props for that and then made a Sifl, and an Olly.

They're suprisingly easy to make from a trip to Joann Fabrics.   To disguise them, I tossed a lincoln top hat and a beard on Olly.   Sifl was treated to a pair of bent wire glasses.

I'll dig up pictures when I get a chance.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 10:24:45 pm »

I could tell you many tales of the stage.   

This one ties into the whole linguistic thing just slightly, and it's one of the most interesting roles I've played.  The play was "An Experiment With An Air Pump,"  and my character was a brilliant Scottish hunchback maid in an English household in the 1800's who worked in the house of a scientist and his family.  The scientist is tutoring Roget (as in Roget's Thesaurus) and a young scientist obsessed with physiology.  Also there's a play within a play where the girls of the household forced my character, against her dignity, to play a lamb in a Christmas play.  Both men fall in love with my character, Roget for my mind, the young scientist because he wants to get me naked and study my deformity.  My character falls in love with the guy who's actually only interested in her deformity, then she overhears the scientist bragging to Roget about it getting to examine my deformity, so she kills herself.  By hanging.  So I got to wear a hunch back device under my maid costume, over which I wore a lamb costume at one point.  At the act break, I had to put on a special suspension harness under both the hunch back appliance and maid costume so that I could be safely hung from a noose.  I never in my life dreamed I'd play a suicidal Scottish hunchback maid romantic lead.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 11:49:33 pm »

How was your accent?  Better than Jimmy Doohan's, one would hope?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 02:01:12 am »

Oh my god smells that is the best story yet.

I did "The Hostage" by Brendan Behan and had to fake a cockney accent while the whole of the rest of the cast (15 people?) faked an irish brogue. Plus there was singing (but bar songs, it's not really a musical). It was so difficult not slipping from the cockney into the brogue -- and my director told me to do a Cary Grant impersonation as part of the dialogue. It got a laugh, at least.

Also: it was my only lead role. The evidence is likely obvious.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 02:40:29 am »

I was Beverly Carlton in The Man Who Came to Dinner. I was a fan of that role, as it only involved one scene. And I got to be flamboyant and such... I made people laugh a lot, which is a big plus for me. I was also Lt. Brannigan in Guys and Dolls, which involved a rather poor Irish accent.

Every other role I ever played was something judicial. The accused man in Inherit the Wind, and the (opposing) lawyer in... that other play I was in.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What's your favorite Kids In The Hall sketch?
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 03:11:11 am »

The only time I actually acted in all of my adolescent drama career, it was as one of the cast members in Spoon River Anthology. The ironic part about it is that, when I first read the poetry collection (in anticipation of the play coming up), I read the poem for Minerva Jones and thought "oh, hey, she's described as kind of ugly and shapeless; I bet I could get cast here." Fast-forward several months, and what's one of the six roles I pick up in the production? Yup. Shapeless Nerd Powers, Activate!

That was also the show that taught me about the fundamental segregation in theater productions among the high-school-age: namely, that in a play requiring four male and four female parts, you will easily get ten times as many girls auditioning as boys. In this case, exactly four boys auditioned at all, and they all obediently got called back and then cast, in a weird side tableau to the slowly narrowing mob of female auditioners. (Admittedly, I suspect that was a fluke because the art camp where this happened was also doing West Side Story, a play with approximately five hojillion male speaking roles, but still: when you are casting the guy who only showed up on a dare, something's gone wrong.)
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up