Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156235 times)

0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #690 on: September 16, 2007, 12:10:18 am »

Oh yeah, forgot about those.

You seem to be just waiting to pass me on runs and HR though.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #691 on: September 16, 2007, 02:37:13 am »

Why don't you two just get a room, goddammit.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #692 on: September 16, 2007, 01:21:57 pm »

n00b question: What exactly is the "Can't Cut List," and why do I have three players on it?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #693 on: September 16, 2007, 05:12:38 pm »

Those are players you can't just drop from your team if you don't like them.

If you want to replace them, you need to trade them or basically be stuck with them.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #694 on: September 16, 2007, 05:21:22 pm »

I think the idea is to keep somebody from screwing up the league by dumping all their best players.  I can't imagine playing in a league where that is a problem, but maybe it is in a public league full of strangers.  (As opposed to imaginary internet friends).  You probably won't want to cut people on the can't cut list anyway.  If their performance drops off significantly or if they're injured, they'll be taken off the list.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #695 on: September 16, 2007, 05:28:31 pm »

One place it can come up is when a player on the can't cut list has a long-term injury.  Mark Texiera spent half the season on the DL, but I couldn't get rid of him.  I'm glad I held on to him, but it was frustrating.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #696 on: September 16, 2007, 07:54:31 pm »

Right now, in baseball, Manny Ramirez is not on the DL but hasn't played in a couple weeks.  He is on the can't cut list and the trade deadline is over.

And it is the fuck*ng playoffs.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #697 on: September 16, 2007, 09:09:20 pm »

Well, if it makes you feel any better, even without Manny, you're givin' me a full-on Roadhouse Country Whuppin'.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #698 on: September 16, 2007, 09:32:00 pm »

I think the idea is to keep somebody from screwing up the league by dumping all their best players.  I can't imagine playing in a league where that is a problem, but maybe it is in a public league full of strangers.  (As opposed to imaginary internet friends).  You probably won't want to cut people on the can't cut list anyway.  If their performance drops off significantly or if they're injured, they'll be taken off the list.

My friends always play fantasy for money, and there are a bunch of the dudes in the group who cannot be trusted to come up with money.  The first year they did baseball, a dude started losing and complaining the league was screwed up, then traded away all his best players to support his argument as to why he would not pay.  That year, only about four out of a dozen people payed the winner.
Logged
ACHIEVE

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #699 on: September 16, 2007, 09:41:02 pm »

I just hope the Red Sox win but Schilling does horribly.  I kind of always wish that when he pitches---especially today.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #700 on: September 16, 2007, 09:55:08 pm »

My friends always play fantasy for money, and there are a bunch of the dudes in the group who cannot be trusted to come up with money.  The first year they did baseball, a dude started losing and complaining the league was screwed up, then traded away all his best players to support his argument as to why he would not pay.  That year, only about four out of a dozen people payed the winner.

That's a Hunt's move right there. If I were in a league playing for money, I'd insist everyone paid up front. Of course, I'd make myself be the one who collects it, then put the funds in some kind of account and earn interest on it over the season. But that's just me.
Logged

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #701 on: September 16, 2007, 11:49:52 pm »

So... having my pitching implode really did suck, but it did give me the liberty to stream pitchers like crazy and take back the wins and strikeouts categories.  A good day at the plate for Todd Helton got me the lead in runs scored, and a tie in homers.  Now it all comes down to the Yankees-Red Sox game tonight.

I did some calculations, and here's the breakdown:

  • The Phlogistons currently lead the Zombie Reagans by two games, with two ties.
  • If either Jeter or A-Rod hits a home run tonight, the Reagans win in home runs.  Otherwise it's a tie.
  • If Jeter and A-Rod combine for 2 runs scored, the runs category will be a tie.  If they combine for 3 or more, the Reagans win.  Otherwise, the Phlogistons win.
  • If Jeter and A-Rod really catch fire and combine for 10 RBI or better, the Reagans can tie or beat the Phlogistons in RBI.
  • If Papelbon gets a save, the Phlogistons win in saves.  If Rivera gets a save, the Reagans win.  If neither does, it's a tie.

The game starts in fifteen minutes, if anyone cares to watch.  This is for a spot in the final, folks!  Good luck to you, Melack, and may the best team win.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #702 on: September 17, 2007, 02:35:08 am »

I remember you got the 10 dollar thing, LFM, can you tell who wins when you know?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #703 on: September 17, 2007, 02:53:17 am »

I have it but it doesn't give you the tablulated results til the morning.

I'm pretty sure you're in the finals, K. Congrats.

Having the ten-dollar thing for baseball doesn't seem to carry over for football, too, which sucks.

I have no idea how terrible I'm doing this week in the ol' hoghide.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #704 on: September 17, 2007, 03:56:48 am »

...and the results are in:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=270916102

A real nail-biter - especially with Rivera's near-collapse at the end.  The fantasy-relevant parts stayed close until the final pitch, too.  So, a save from Mo, a home run from Jeter, but only one run total for the Reagans in that game should leave us...

...tied, with five wins apiece?

I have no clue how that's supposed to work out.  I may have added wrong, of course, but if not I'm not sure what Y! does to break ties in this league.  I fear the potential for bullshit, such as a coin flip or my advancing to the final based on seeding alone.  But whatever happens, and whoever goes on to the final, at least the series concluded in a suitably epic manner.


Also:  Keith, LFM... if you don't want to pay for the 10 dollar thing, they still give you live box scores for free; you just have to count up all the stats on your own fingers and toes.  That's what I've done all season.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 79   Go Up