Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156355 times)

0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #825 on: October 25, 2007, 07:01:12 pm »

The splitting up of the WWF has worked in one and only one way.

There's a lot more titles to put on guys so that there's less guys backstage whining about how they don't have a fuckin' title.

If the goal had anything to do with storytelling or trying to create actual different "brands" to market with, it's so spectacular a failure that you'd think it had to be on purpose.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #826 on: October 25, 2007, 07:12:35 pm »

The splitting up of the WWF has worked in one and only one way.

There's a lot more titles to put on guys so that there's less guys backstage whining about how they don't have a fuckin' title.

If the goal had anything to do with storytelling or trying to create actual different "brands" to market with, it's so spectacular a failure that you'd think it had to be on purpose.

For a while they did have distinct feels, with Raw being more about stories and larger than life characters and Smackdown caring more about engaging matches as well as actively targeting the latino demographic. But somebody there hates Paul Heymen and canned him (again) so that went out the window.

Paul is another guy like you were talking about in the other thread. He can write top-notch wrestling without even thinking about it but should never be running his own company. Unless you're OK with people's paychecks bouncing.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #827 on: October 25, 2007, 07:20:32 pm »

From what I've heard, the best way to get fired on the creative side of the WWF is to distinguish yourself publicly as a creative force over someone with the last name MacMahon. They'd rather be In Charge and somewhat successful than Not Completely In Charge and wildly successful.

It's a lot like how the minute Guiliani's chief of police started getting more credit for cleaning up New York than Guiliani... he was fired and things got slightly worse again... but what mattered was that Rudy was the guy in charge.

There are few attitudes more fuckin' ridiculous than that mindset.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #828 on: October 25, 2007, 07:47:11 pm »

From what I've heard, the best way to get fired on the creative side of the WWF is to distinguish yourself publicly as a creative force over someone with the last name MacMahon. They'd rather be In Charge and somewhat successful than Not Completely In Charge and wildly successful.

It's a lot like how the minute Guiliani's chief of police started getting more credit for cleaning up New York than Guiliani... he was fired and things got slightly worse again... but what mattered was that Rudy was the guy in charge.

There are few attitudes more fuckin' ridiculous than that mindset.

There's always Sony's legendary "not invented here" mindset. "Why would anybody want to use a portable mp3 player when they could have a genuine Sony Minidisc player? And who needs a camera with a universally accepted storage standard?"

Of course I am rooting for Bluray over HD-DVD, but just based on total disc capacity.

Actually, now that I think about Vince does this too. With the exception of Ric Flair all of WCW and ECW's successes are gone or altered beyond recognition. And he still refuses to have a War Games match, despite those basically being licenses to print money. He has to publicly bury the successes of others to show how inferior they are. He had to prove to us that Taz and Raven can't succeed when taken out of a small pond. Of course he proved it by purposely booking them in ways that hid their strengths and accentuated their weaknesses. And now he's driving ECW into the ground to tarnish its name and make people stop chanting for it.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #829 on: October 25, 2007, 08:03:50 pm »

Birmingham is not a place to put a pro football team.

1) We have this horrible 80,000 seat stadium that was built way too long ago, but for some reason won't ever be replaced.  No one likes going to it, so it is at best half full for anything that is not Alabama/Auburn football.  It looks even emptier than it is on TV.
2) Speaking of Alabama/Auburn football, this is the only thing that has mattered, will matter, and will ever matter in the state.  Sorry.  See also: UAB, Troy.
3) Our apathy towards our pro teams rivals that of Atlanta "I'll think about going to a game if they make the second round of the playoffs" fans.  Teams need a good five years or so of being decent before they will catch on.
4) A (modern) pro team requires investment from a set of large corporations willing to plaster their name across things.  Birmingham only has two of those, one of which recently sued its CEO for fraud.
5) Birmingham is too fractured to use public money for anything useful.  Birmingham's suburbs out-populate the city itself by a margin of about 5 to 1, and the suburbs would not contribute to the infrastructure upgrades necessary for a pro team.
6) The Birmingham Vulcans (Dixie Professional Football League), The Birmingham Americans (World Football League), The Birmingham Vulcans (World Football League), The Alabama Vulcans (American Football Association), The Alabama Magic (American Football Association), The Birmingham Stallions (United States Football League), The Birmingham Fire (World League of American Football), The Birmingham Barracudas (Canadian Football League), The Birmingham Thunderbolts (XFL).  They all played in Legion Field, and their leagues all died (Source).

I want the NFL to live.  Expanding to Birmingham and markets like it (Remember when the Oilers played in Memphis?) would kill it, or at least seriously wound it.  There is another league trying to form and place a team in Birmingham, the All American Football League.  It will fail.  Is it because of Birmingham uniquely?  I doubt it, but I'd rather not take the chance.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #830 on: October 27, 2007, 03:13:37 pm »

I took part in my very first live draft yesterday for the NBA league I'm in at work. Looking at it this morning, I almost feel hung over. I took so many young players purely on the amount of promise and potential they have. Foye, Bargnani, Aldridge... I was positively giddy when I nabbed them during the draft, but now? Reality has struck hard. Not a single one of these guys had a great rookie year last season, and I'm counting on them to provide a huge chunk of my team's points. Oh, well. At least I got Dirk with my first pick.

It's a very strange feeling knowing that I'm 100% responsible for the makeup of my team's roster. But it's also pretty exciting. Now I kinda wish I hadn't slept through our NFL draft.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 03:18:10 pm by melack »
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #831 on: November 02, 2007, 04:17:15 pm »

And so at 58 pages the mighty Pretend Sports thread appears to have lost its steam. We had a good ride!

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #832 on: November 02, 2007, 04:41:23 pm »

I'm trying to decide whether my team is mismanaged or undertalented.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #833 on: November 02, 2007, 04:49:10 pm »

I'm trying to decide whether my team is mismanaged or undertalented.

In football? Mine is the former because of the latter.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #834 on: November 02, 2007, 06:07:24 pm »

I definitely have had a good roster of players at points in the season.

My drafting and waiver-pick-ups isn't really my problem.

My problem has been in picking which players to use which week and when to drop dudes who are clearly injured or sucking this year.

My problem's all in the execution.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #835 on: November 02, 2007, 09:40:22 pm »

I, for one, am glad that link goes to the article - and not a .jpg hosted on an offshore server.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #836 on: November 04, 2007, 05:15:02 am »

Anyone wanna make a reasonable offer of a front-line wide receiver for the service of Phil Rivers?

He is being constantly injured like a whiny little whore and Philip Rivers might be of genuine use to one or two of you party people... whereas I only have two legitimate WRs on my roster.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #837 on: November 04, 2007, 09:34:46 pm »

Well, it does help when one of your running backs sets the all-time single-game rushing yardage record.

It does help.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #838 on: November 04, 2007, 11:40:24 pm »

Yeah, I had the joy of watching him in college.  He is good.


Unless Brady and Moss come up huge, The Chemicals will lose.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #839 on: November 04, 2007, 11:48:34 pm »

Unless Brady and Moss come up huge, The Chemicals will lose.

That is KILLING me. I hate the Colts. Hate hate hate them. But I can't have Brady and Moss reaching out and touching each other, and Vinatieri is on my team besides. What I wanted is the Patriots to win 15-12; that's not happening.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 79   Go Up