Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness  (Read 15239 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« on: February 19, 2007, 03:17:32 am »

As you know, I'm the proud kittymama to two adorable Scottish Folds. They narrowly escaped death on Friday morning.

I was getting ready for work this morning and realized that I somehow left my purse on the floor...a $398 Coach Soho leather hobo. IT WAS COVERED IN SCRATCH MARKS. Little bastards! Noooooo!

I wailed in anguish. WHY did I leave it out? I always, always hang it up so it's out of their reach! I couldn't smack them because they would have no idea what they were being beaten for (not only that, but I could never use corporal punishment on anybody), plus I had no idea who the perpetrator was -- Milan or Lennybruce? Both? I am SO ANGRY right now.

I put some leather conditioner on the purse, but you can still see the deep scratches.

About the only thing I can think of...is that it's time to reapply the SoftPaws nail caps to the little critters. They're too old to get them declawed. I guess this means I can never, ever own a leather sofa or ANYTHING NICE because the little bastards will shred it.

The first (and last) time that I put the SoftPaws nail caps on Lennybruce, he chewed 50% of them off within the first 24 hours. The remaining nail caps were chewed off within the week. Maybe the veterinarian can put them on his nails with extra glue while Lenny is under anaesthetic to get his teeth cleaned...Hmmm...

Who knows which one was the perpetrator... I bet it was BOTH of them scratching my purse because even Sweet Milan has been stropping his claws on my medic bag. I don't care about the medic bag because it's tough nylon and it doesn't show the damage. It's designed to protect its contents, and nothing's been damaged. One of them probably started scratching my purse because Brother was hogging the medic bag...and then I bet dollars to doughnuts that the other one had to come join in on the fun claw-stropping on Mom's Expensive-Ass Leather Purse. It infuriates me because they know that there are certain things they can't scratch, like the sofa or the table legs. Bad Lenny is usually the one who scratches inappropriately the most and has to be reined in with the Squirt Bottle of Justice (i.e. he chooses not to scratch on the kitty tree but on off-limits furniture) .

Although I jokingly call them "Bad" or "Sweet" they are still totally spoiled and VERY much loved. Lenny is in no way the outcast, he's just full of piss and vinegar and is usually the feisty one who loves to get into trouble (hence his name, which he totally lives up to). Lenny is usually sitting in front of the monitor as I type, insisting on petties and climbing all over me. Milan is a very laid-back sort of guy who will come up and very politely and sweetly ask for petties. He's started to gently headbutt me with his rrrrround little noggin, which is ridiculously cute. ^_^
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 04:13:04 am »

I got myself In Trouble at the mall for loudly asking why the ugly Clinique give-away bags were so far away from the cosmetics counter. I was informed that the C stands for Coach, not Clinique and that comically hideous is apparently very In (and expensive) right now.

I guess this also explains the all the fuzzy boots, bad dye-jobs, and cowl-necks in recent years.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:55:50 am »

Your post reminds me of the lovely folks from LA (as I like to call it, "Hell-A") that are lampooned for their bad fashion taste by Malingering:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/malingering

Paging through her site is the best of peoplewatching from the comfort of your computer chair (or yoga ball, in my case). I love it -- it's like a trainwreck, you cannot look away.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 06:05:24 am »

can one of the mods split the LA stuff and move it to a different thread?
thanks
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 07:03:31 am »

The Saddest Thing is that my family's cats think they still have claws, and still try to scratch things up.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 01:23:30 pm »

can one of the mods split the LA stuff and move it to a different thread?
thanks

I am not sure I can figure out how to split only those posts, but give me a while and maybe I can think of a story about this great cat that my friend in LA used to have...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 02:04:36 pm »

I am not sure I can figure out how to split only those posts, but give me a while and maybe I can think of a story about this great cat that my friend in LA used to have...

Done, though my apologies for wading in on your fora. You can select which posts to move as the third split option.

Back to topic - this is why I always had the cheapest of wallets. Either a dog or my cat would get at it, or I'd drop it in the mud.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 02:43:47 pm »

Yeah, I have sort of the same story about a very expensive set of headphones I bought myself back when I lived on my own.  I went out, selected the nicest headphones I could find.  I put them to use the day I bought them, the brought them home and set them on my coffee table.  I went out for a couple of hours, came back, and the head phones where still on the coffee table, but the cord had been neatly chewed of and was sitting on the floor.  I was so fuckin' angry.  In deed enough time had passed that my cat had no idea why I was yelling at the top of my lungs.  I wasn't even yelling at him - he was smartly elsewhere when I discovered the damage.  And I'd only used the damn headphones once.  And he'd never shown an interest in eating cords or wires of any sort before. 

I did briefly want to harm him - in my head.  But of course I'd never do something like that. 

I later found he'd also taken a spoon out of the sink and put it on my pillow, so I think maybe that was his apology.  "Oh damn, I was only going to nibble those a little bit, and now I've ruined them.  I better find something shiny and give it to her to make up for this."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 03:18:56 pm »

"this is where she sleeps. she will find it here."

I'd like to think that that is how cats' minds work.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 03:56:43 pm »

I later found he'd also taken a spoon out of the sink and put it on my pillow, so I think maybe that was his apology.  "Oh damn, I was only going to nibble those a little bit, and now I've ruined them.  I better find something shiny and give it to her to make up for this."

Ohmygawd! That is one of the sweetest feline images I can imagine! I mean, just the thought of a cat wandering around with a spoon hanging from it's mouth would be enough, but to leave it on your pillow...

I never really had problems with cats chewing through things, and clawing things, and I've had many cats - up to the point I had to stop adopting them (one day I will get back to somewhere where I can have a cat), but we did rescue a baby rabbit from one of our cats, and since it was still fairly well, we took it in until it was healthy enough to set free. It would desperately try to gnaw through cabling and the like, but would then redeem itself by sitting  quietly in the small of ones back if you were lying on the floor, and by being tiny and unbearably cute.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 05:08:46 pm »

Quote from: linnea
can one of the mods split the LA stuff and move it to a different thread? thanks

For my involvement in the accidental threadjack, I humbly apologize.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 09:25:49 pm »

"this is where she sleeps. she will find it here."

I'd like to think that that is how cats' minds work.

Ohmygawd! That is one of the sweetest feline images I can imagine! I mean, just the thought of a cat wandering around with a spoon hanging from it's mouth would be enough, but to leave it on your pillow...

I never really had problems with cats chewing through things, and clawing things, and I've had many cats - up to the point I had to stop adopting them (one day I will get back to somewhere where I can have a cat), but we did rescue a baby rabbit from one of our cats, and since it was still fairly well, we took it in until it was healthy enough to set free. It would desperately try to gnaw through cabling and the like, but would then redeem itself by sitting  quietly in the small of ones back if you were lying on the floor, and by being tiny and unbearably cute.

Aww!! I agree, that is unbearably cute. "This is where she sleeps, she will find it here." I cannot believe that they destroyed your headphones, though. That's bullshit. I would have been insanely angry if I had been in your place. At least my purse can still be used, but the headphones were totally destroyed. Unless you wanted to be like Ray in Airwolf and have spraypainted foam disc headphones just to look cool.

slink, I'm glad you were able to rescue the bun. I love bunnies. They're so cute. I have never had one, but my ex always wanted to have one. They're like little cuddlemachines. He wanted to have a li'l bunny to sit on his lap and chill while he read a book. I can never get another quadruped while I have "the boys", Milan and Lennybruce.

I was so livid when I found my purse that I wanted to smack them, but of course I would never do that. It would only make them afraid of me, and it wouldn't teach them anything. But jeez, I was SO ANGRY.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 05:01:44 am »

Yeah, slink that is just painfully cute about the bunny.  I'd give a bunny 30 min maximum in my house though.  It's just not viable.

Another story about the same cat - Max:

He's got cat post traumatic stress from his previous owner who broke his ribs, so he has some very weird behaviors in general, and almost always has a look of terror on his face. 

When I moved in to my apartment Max was new to me - he was about 8 months old and had lived through hell, so I really didn't know much about him other than that he is filled with fear most of the time.  After unpacking, I noticed he was always hiding in this one box, so I put a nice blanket in it and and put under a coffee table where he could slip in and out of it but remain totally unseen - he liked to have hiding places, and spent 90% of his time in the box and got really upset if I disturbed him.  The only time he would relax was when I watched the Simpson's, where he would cautiously climb out of the box and on to me purring, and stare at the TV. Since he'd been so traumatized by his previous owner, I just let him have his box, and decided to not disturb him if he was in it. 

A couple weeks later I came home with two packs of sport socks - six pairs in each bag - and a pack of feminine napkins.  Since I had no immediately need for any of these items, I set the bag down and sort of forgot about it.  Then enough time passed, and I needed to use the socks to avoid doing laundry.  I went to where I'd set the bag, and there sat a totally empty bag.  What the hell?  I started searching around - checking to see if I'd put the items away with out realizing it, searching around... but nothing.  I could not find them.  So it was a mystery. 

Days passed.  Then I was laying on the couch watching TV, and as usual I could hear a slight rustle under the coffee table: Max was snuggling in his box.  Then I realized something. The rustling had a distinctly plastic-bag-ish noise to it.  I lifted the coffee table and Max hopped out of his box and scurried to hid elsewhere.  He disappeared to reveal that he had made a nest.  He had somehow managed to pull the two packs of socks and the pack of feminine napkins into the box, rip them out of their packaging, pull out socks and feminine napkins alike, and make a perfect little nest, with a roundish-oval shaped centre for his little body, surrounded by socks and feminine product.  There was no way I was going to abide by him taking my socks - which all had to be washed because they were absolutely coated with fur, and the feminine napkins had been mostly shredded to a fine pulp and got thrown away.  I pulled all this stuff out and replaced them with some unneeded old PJ's, but he basically lost his interest in the box after that.

After that occasionally I'd come home to find that he'd pull couch cushions twice his size into other rooms, or the spoon thing - which actually happened more than once.  He's always had an intense nesting instinct though.  To this day if we leave any socks out he will take them, or at the very least chew on them.  He has a little cave now -which is a basket on its side lined with a built-in quilted cushion.  He doesn't put socks in it though - probably because it's so very cushy.  I think he likes it because there's only one way in or out - no surprises.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 08:09:00 am »

That is really sad.  i have a dog that i got from a vet clinic I worked at.  I started really young walking dogs, and the owner always kept a couple strays to be adopted.  Not really like good for adoption always though, basically animals that got hit or that the city took away from abusive owners.  When I first saw the dog, he basically tried to kill me, but was nice to those who knew him.  After a while I would always walk him, and eventually i talked my parents into adopting him.  He is now the best, smartest dog I have ever had.  I think it was because he spent about a year of his life getting beat, a year in a shitty cage, and now gets to run free at my parents acreage, so he just enjoys himself.  i also think that that is the difference between dogs and cats.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 02:02:31 pm »

Yeah, I know a couple people with rescue dogs that came from circumstances, and genearally, they seem to be more rehabilitable than cats.  They just fall in love with their owners if their life is good.  Probably because dogs are pack animals - they're basically okay with not being the alpha in a group, but they really, really need a group.  Even though Max has increased his cuddly/purr times with me, I know he would not be at all surprised if I turned on him one day - he anticipates this with every moment, even though 6+ years of good treatment should have taught him otherwise.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up