Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness  (Read 15172 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 03:52:46 pm »

Man, I fuck*ng hate people who are cruel to animals. It just burns me up.

In my V-day group we were talking about that the other day, and one of the ladies had seen a dog show on television for the first time the other day. She was majorly impressed that they had this huge awareness campaign about stray animals going on, and that they raised over a million dollars to help strays. One of the other women said that she was shocked that we could give a shit about animals "with all the starving children in the world."

True, there are a lot of worthy causes out there, but I was surprised that she derided us for caring about animals because she thought that we should be only helping humans. Weird, eh?
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 05:08:23 pm »

In my V-day group we were talking about that the other day...

I'm confused by this - is Valentine's day so traumatic that you need therapy?  Is it a year-round thing, or just February?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 07:39:11 pm »

ironically, people who would be in dog shows probably straight-up hate the adorable mutts you find at the shelter.

our two cats were adopted from a shelter when they were still kittens. They are siblings-- their mother was killed by a dog just after they were born. I like those cats a lot. But I love my dog so much... goddamn. He's my little guy. I think he can tell, deep down, that the rest of my family likes the cats more, and so he is extra-awesome to me.

Also he thinks that I am the Alpha Male in the family for some reason.

...my cats basically hang out with every person in the family except me. If I am home alone for a few days, it is as if they are suddenly discovering that there is a boy who lives in that room upstairs, and he will pet them and give them food. Immediately they love me.
And then my mother and brother and sister return, and the cats return to ignoring my dad and me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 08:13:33 pm »

ironically, people who would be in dog shows probably straight-up hate the adorable mutts you find at the shelter.

My parents vowed never again to have a pure-bred after taking in a puppy from a shelter, which was half whippet, half something. Then they got the incredibly cute half-whippet, and both are smarter than any pure-bred we've ever met. We had a springer when growing up that was just Petarded. OK, the older of the two they have now isn't the smartest (if you pay either of them any attention she goes to find something slavery for you to throw - soooo single minded) but she's  infinitely smarter and healthier than most pure-bred.
That and the younger is just remarkable. Half the time she appears to be a cat at heart, then a dragony lizard thing, then a spaz, then... She's just adorable.

As for cats being strange, we used to cat sit for someone who had a huge fat tabby, who purred like a VW and you couldn't repel, but also a Siamese who was terrified of men.  He was fairly wary of anyone, but I only managed to pet him about twice in the three or four years we looked after them. You'd open a door and all you'd hear was this collossal array of scratchings and scrapings and then the bang of the cat flap as he shot outside again. A  real shame as he was a  lovely cat.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 08:49:31 pm »

yeah, I mean, my dog whom I love is a probably really inbred purebred. I love that screwed up little guy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 04:41:31 am »

I'm confused by this - is Valentine's day so traumatic that you need therapy?  Is it a year-round thing, or just February?

Fuck! I thought we went through this? I'm in the production of the pu$$y Monologues, it runs this weekend for two nights.

Also, I am persona non grata in my house. Sweet Fluffy (aka Milan) was hacking up a hairball when I came home, so both of them got hairball treatment smeared on their fur. I HATE doing that...because they just freak out and run around frantically to try and get away from it, and then they hide somewhere, and then they finally start licking it off. As I've said before, it's really gross, thick, sticky paste that's liver-flavoured, and I would imagine that to a cat it feels like being slathered in sewage. I feel AWFUL for having to put it on them, but they stopped manufacturing the Kitty Hairball Lick Stick, and the only way to get them to ingest it is to put it on their fur. Poor little dudes. They hate that stuff, HATE IT TO HELL.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 04:45:31 am »

ok.
I've been meaning to ask.
Isn't the whole concept usually that V-Day is concurrent (simultaneous. Coincident, even.) with Valentine's Day?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 04:46:15 am »

Fuck! I thought we went through this? I'm in the production of the pu$$y Monologues, it runs this weekend for two nights. 

Oh, yes - covered previously.  Calling it V-Day is new vernacular for me though.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 05:26:32 am »

ok.
I've been meaning to ask.
Isn't the whole concept usually that V-Day is concurrent (simultaneous. Coincident, even.) with Valentine's Day?
Yes, but I can't remember why. I am sure that Eve Ensler has something to say about it on the official V-Day site. www.vday.org

Oh, yes - covered previously.  Calling it V-Day is new vernacular for me though.

Sorry...I live in a small town, and there are some people who get really offended at hearing the word "pu$$y". It really surprises me! Especially because the whole point of the pu$$y Monologues is using a "shocking" word is to reclaim the word and to use it to point out that very bad things are happening TO WOMEN AND GIRLS! It's a highly political piece of theater. It is meant to make you think.

There's one woman in town who I thought was a totally confident hellraiser, but her face got beet-red when we mentioned the pu$$y Monologues and she looked really uncomfortable and wouldn't talk about it at all. Not only that, but she prevented us from selling V-Day tickets in the largest store in town, and she wouldn't donate anything to the production -- to each her own, but damn! >:( I sent out an email to folks around town describing the play without using the word "pu$$y" because I knew that it would cause some people to just shut down immediately and not even read the email. I just called it "V-Day: Until The Violence Stops" and mentioned that we'd be performing "Eve Ensler's Play".

Sigh. I miss being in a liberal town surrounded by hip, edgy folks. I'm stuck in rural AK with a bunch of women who are terrified to say or even HEAR the word "pu$$y". I should count my blessings...At least I'm in a production with 12 of the really awesome women who aren't afraid of the word. At least there are 13 of us!!!
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 05:27:49 am »

Oh, I almost forgot...it took almost 2 hours, but the little dudes are "speaking" to me again. Lenny's on the desk in front of my keyboard, and the sweet fluffy baby (Milan) is on my medic bag near my feet.

EDIT: 888 posts! w00t!
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 05:49:04 am »

oh, no, I mean, I understand why it would be simultaneous with Valentine's day. I was just wondering if there were any specific reason that your V-Day is different.

Does it really mean pu$$y Day? Wow. I thought it had something to do with Violence. As in, stopping.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 06:25:07 am »

I believe I've mentioned our shelter cat, who came from Circumstances -- a very small kitten who had been found in a ditch and kept at the shelter when they had no other cats, meaning he had as far as we can tell no inter-cat socialization between whenever his mother left him and his arrival at our house. This cat has had immense problems, but according to my folks he's started to get a lot better and more catlike; recently he's even learned to purr, by some strange miracle. I'm kind of excited to come home and spend some time with the little dude, because it'll be great to see him acting all like a normal cat and not like his poor bedraggled former self.

(I should probably stop saying "little dude," because, in obedience with basic cosmic principles of irony, this cat grew up to be twenty pounds, and it's mostly just size. When he sits on you, you know it.)
Logged

Fooker

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -18
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 193
  • domesticated troll
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 09:55:58 am »

This has been the most endearing thread ever. A+++ WOULD READ AGAIN.
Logged
NONSENSICAL STATEMENT INVOLVING PLANKTON

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 12:44:43 pm »

At least I'm in a production with 12 of the really awesome women who aren't afraid of the word. At least there are 13 of us!!!

Christ. I was saying just the other day re: the theatre in some small town that renamed it the Hoo Ha Monologues due to some parent complaining, that their questioning child either had a pu$$y or came out of said whinging mother's... I mean, it's not even slang anatomy! It saddens me that I'd make a better parent than most people who are parents.

Ah, well... Break a leg!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 03:25:59 pm »

Christ. I was saying just the other day re: the theatre in some small town that renamed it the Hoo Ha Monologues due to some parent complaining, that their questioning child either had a pu$$y or came out of said whinging mother's... I mean, it's not even slang anatomy! It saddens me that I'd make a better parent than most people who are parents.

Ah, well... Break a leg!

That show would do twice as well titled, The Hoo Ha Ha's.
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up