Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness  (Read 15177 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2007, 12:31:53 am »

But what is the difference between a person who smokes weed on their free time and a person who gets drunk on their free time?  Are you saying that you would report an alcoholic doctor, if you knew of one?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2007, 12:39:18 am »

Assuming all other points equal...

Yeah, I'm taking the stoner medical professional over the drunk medical professional.

All other points probably can't be equal but... yeah. I gotta go there too.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2007, 12:44:50 am »

this reminds me of an interview with a guy at the FBI. They asked him about why they have a question on the background check-- have you smoked marijuana in the past (some number) of years? the interviewer asked "I mean, would you hire an alcoholic over someone who smoked pot in college?"
The answer: "well, being an alcoholic isn't illegal."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2007, 12:53:21 am »

Quote from: Keith 'Read What I fuck*ng Wrote' Hernandez
But what is the difference between a person who smokes weed on their free time and a person who gets drunk on their free time?  Are you saying that you would report an alcoholic doctor, if you knew of one?

Quote
...behaviour outside of the workplace that includes the possibility of diminished workplace performance, when said performance impacts the immediate health and quility of care of multiple others, is completely unsupportable.

To clarify, in my statement the means of impairment are immaterial.

To specify, things like lack of sleep, fights with your SO, having a cold are part of the human condition.

Getting ripped on whatever when you know you gotta work the next day is irresponsible. That level of irresponsibility varies with the level of impact the post impairment state will have beyond oneself.

So yeah, the stoner and the drunk are equal douchebags in...

My opinion.

Question: why you guys gotta go there? Really, do you think there's a possibility that I might be obliviously stupid to the point that alcohol (and a buncha other things), while legal, have post intake impairment effects? Or that I figure the label of 'legality' magically makes the after effects morally and socially OK?

Shit no.
Logged
We must repeat!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2007, 12:54:18 am »

Both the alcoholic doctor and the stoner doctor should just be in another profession where they can't hurt people. They shouldn't be truck drivers or pilots or zookeepers either. There are plenty of other jobs they can have where they won't endanger lives.

Quite a fine thread-wander, by the way.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2007, 01:02:53 am »

Quote from: wombat
Quite a fine thread-wander, by the way.

Especially when you consider that when this thread was just a baby, we already split out a conversation about Los Angeles culture. And especially especially when you consider all the ways that to speak of LA culture and to speak of drug culture is to speak of the same thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2007, 01:52:13 am »

Quite a fine thread-wander, by the way.

Why? Scottish Folds and their addictive ways!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2007, 03:03:31 am »

Man, hasn't House taught you party people anything?  Drug addiction makes you a better doctor, and I, for one, believe it.

In touch with the mechanisms of the universe and all that.
Logged
ACHIEVE

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2007, 03:16:13 am »

Why? Scottish Folds and their addictive ways!

Heh!

Legal or illegal, I believe that any kind of impairment while on the job is bad. I hate to sound "biased" against people who smoke weed or do cocaine or whatever, but that kind of drug use is incongruent with many professions. Any person who is responsible for people's health or safety should not be intoxicated while on the job or take illegal drugs. Frankly, I'm amazed that the Nurse In Question hasn't been drug tested yet. She probably had to take a UA when she got hired on, but they should really do some random drug screenings. I would place an anonymous call and tell them to start drug testing their employees. That way you're not naming names or singling her out.

For example, we* get a full tox screen if we Fuck Up**, inclusive of everything and anything that we've got on board at the time: any prescription meds we might be taking, alcohol, illegal drugs, the whole works. Just because alcohol is a legal drug does NOT make it okay to have any alcohol in one's system. Just like a pilot is free to drink on his/her off hours, unless their BAC is a solid ZERO after an accident, they're screwed. It's legal for me to drink on my free time, but if I show up to a call with ANY level of alcohol I'm toast. As in...give us your door key, blue light, and all department-issued gear, cuz you're permanently off the roster.


-------------
*I'm a volunteer firefighter/medic as most of you know. This holds true for all paid staff and all volunteers in our service.
**Although we are theoretically prone to getting a tox screen at any point, we are mandated to go pee in a cup and/or give a blood sample if something of consequence happens...for example, we had a fire at the powerhouse and our engineer got a little feisty and piloted Engine 4 a little bit off-road as he was trying to stage the apparatus. No major damage but the bottom of the rig got scraped, so he had to go pee in a cup.

Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2007, 03:26:24 am »

I was just making sure we are being consistent, as I am used to dealing with the hypocrisy of the Real World.

I don't know though.  I mean, I am fine with an alcoholic or stoner doctor as long as they aren't coming to work fucked up. 

I hate all doctors equally though.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2007, 03:31:33 am »

To veer back onto topic:

I spent $6 on a little thingy of wheatgrass at the grocery store for my bad little rats to chew on. they haven't touched it yet. Dammit, Mi-wan and Lennybruce! I got it FOR YOOOOUUUU!!!


Random question, since I have some wheatgrass lying about...Anyone know where I can get a wheatgrass juicer? I will check on eBay and such but I wasn't sure if any of you TOUAMBies happened to have one lying around that you're looking to get rid of. It's a long shot, but I thought I'd ask. In college I was a barista at an Alfalfa's/Wild Oats store in Denver. One of the girls I worked with was a rawfoods vegan punk and since she didn't drink, she used to dare me to take wheatgrass shots with her. Ah, good times.

But yes, Spoiled Scottish Folds. Very cute, very spoiled. 

Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2007, 03:45:49 am »

I was just making sure we are being consistent, as I am used to dealing with the hypocrisy of the Real World.

When you become an adult they make you take a Hypocritical Oath.
Logged
We must repeat!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2007, 06:08:24 am »

I spent $6 on a little thingy of wheatgrass at the grocery store for my bad little rats to chew on. they haven't touched it yet. Dammit, Mi-wan and Lennybruce! I got it FOR YOOOOUUUU!!!

Just wait -- they'll find ways to be naughty with it. Cammy and Ashby have a little thing of grass and sod in a plastic bowl on the floor for their gnawing, and recently they've gotten into pulling the grass/sod out of the bowl and just leaving the little divot in the middle of the living-room floor. They'll do this whenever they're not being watched; this afternoon alone I put the damn thing back three times or so.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2007, 02:57:04 pm »

I've looked into it, and there is most definitely no random drug testing of nurses here, and know for a fact that my friend was never tested.  The nurses union holds huge sway locally, and they absolutely oppose testing, and it therefore almost never happens.  I looked into the rules and regulations of nursing, and not only her substance abuse, but also her significant mental health issues would deem her unfit for nursing.  These were both issues that were pre-existing before she was certified, and though questions were asked (and lies were answered) there is not drug testing done. 

She definitely gets high before going to work.

She is both suicidal and potentially physically violent (she physically attacked me once before when she was off her perscribed meds and acting irrationally), which makes confrontation very risky.  Though she is a smart and lovely person in many respects, she is my SO's friend more than mine and probably wouldn't be in my life if the choice were mine.  I've strongly encouraged her to tell those providing her with psychiatric care that she is abusing drugs but she's yet to do so.  I've spoken to her on a rational level about how the medications perscribed to her could easily interact with the drugs she is abusing, and that her psychiatrist should know this to treat her properly.  She agrees with me (she's a nurse after all), but hasn't told him - probably because he knows what profession she's in, and she knows what the fall out would be.  I've even gone so far as to pointing out that her paranoia, which is part of a myriad of psychological problems she has, could easily spring from the daily use of pot for decades, which she denies.  The main issue is that she doesn't see her drug abuse as a problem, and believes she would have killed herself long ago if it weren't for it's presence in her life, and to be honest, I don't disagree with this.  I do however, think that she made the wrong career choice given all these factors.  Then again, she's worked so hard, and manged to make a career for herself in spite of huge obstacles, and it would be tragic for her to lose the footing she has made...

To be totally honest, I spent 22 years caring for (and I don't doubt enabling) my mentally ill mother, and I'm not interested in taking on another "case."  I tend to attract damaged people since I have a deep understanding of their nature, but then the fall out is so very hard on me.  I don't want the chaos in my life that would result from me getting involved - I've heard from her own mouth how destructive and scary my friend can be toward others she blames for the problems she's often responsible for.  I also feel a sense of emotional integrity that keeps me from simply report her behind her back, along with a lot of anger that those who should have caught this - i.e. those involved in the certification process, those who employ her now, those who've provided her with psychiatric care - have failed. To be totally honest, the only way I can see myself doing anything without being personally harmed would be through an anonymous tip-off, but isn't that just selgiraffe, weaselly and weak?

Also, cats.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: linnea's bad little cats almost died from their badness
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2007, 04:45:46 pm »

To be totally honest, the only way I can see myself doing anything without being personally harmed would be through an anonymous tip-off, but isn't that just selgiraffe, weaselly and weak?

Also, cats.

Not when your looking at the situation as you've described. Unfortunately, it sounds like an anonymous tip may not have much effect considering the situation as you've outlined it.

I do not urge you to go to extravagant measures that may effect your own safety. That's selgiraffe of me 'cause I like to read your internet ramblings.

I do question why this person, with the past history you've described is in your life. However, I think my situation and characteristics are different to yours in such a way as to make my opinion no longer usefull to you.

Now, to cats. I buy mine off with smelly socks which they can hunt and drown in their water bowls daily.
Logged
We must repeat!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up