Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ballet  (Read 6615 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Ballet
« on: February 19, 2007, 03:27:38 am »

So what do you all think of ballet? Thoughts? Experiences? Opinions?

I'm just curious.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Ballet
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 03:52:27 am »

I'd like to get involved, but I don't think I have the legs for it.
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ballet
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 03:57:01 am »

It certainly seems difficult as all hell and... I respect the hell out of its purveyors but...

I'm not much of a visual-arts kinda guy. Even plays and movies, I pay more attention to the dialogue and music.

A lot of people tell me that they think in images and I just don't. I think in text or sounds and have to concentrate a good deal to visualize things, so... I'm probably not the target audience for that particular art.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 03:57:33 am »

I'd like to get involved, but I don't think I have the legs for it.

Do you have two?
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 04:07:23 am »

God, I love ballet. I adore(d) Rudolf Nureyev (may he rest in peace). He was amazing. He and Margot Fonteyn were unbelievable together.

I do not have a dancer's body. I have never tried to dance, but when I get back to civilization I think that I'm going to look into cultural arts events...the symphony, the opera, and ballet are three of my favorites. Pure artistry.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Ballet
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 04:19:34 am »

Do you have two?

Mostly, but I have been told by the ladies (credible) that they are sub-par to ones used in the arts.  A stark truth I must face alone.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ballet
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 04:44:42 am »

I am not a fan. I just don't get it. I am becoming more of a visual-arts person, but... it's not for me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 08:38:15 am »

I am a books and music person, as well.  I like probably less than 5 movies, even.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Ballet
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 01:54:31 pm »

While I prefer books and movies, there are some ballets I have rather a soft spot for. Christopher Bruce has choreagraphed some wonderful stuff, as has Mark Morris.
I'm not much of a dancer though, though I spent much of  my childhood doing period dance, trained with a group from... I think the West Indies a good few years back (they used that martial art that is like a dance... you know the one), and got a qualification in dance as well. But, I'm too gangly! I'm more a one for the acting, which it seems I might be getting back into.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 02:48:22 pm »

I've known lots of dancers, and ballerinas are the most mentally unhealthy of the lot as far as I'm concerned.  Eating Kleenex and whatnot.  I'm not much for ballet, I really only admire it for the athleticism and precision, but not the art.  Give me good contemporary dance - that's what I dig.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 08:56:03 pm »

Only Spandau Ballet, sorry.
Logged
We must repeat!

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 02:11:26 am »

Spandeau Ballet! Woo!

Your responses are quite interesting.

So now, the ubiquitous follow-up question:

Why do you have the opinion you do about ballet?
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 02:50:39 am »

Three words:  Men in Leotards!

J/K, I have no strong opinion about ballet one way or the other.  I like The Nutcracker, that's a ballet right?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 05:12:09 am »

With my profession (theatre) I cross paths with a lot of other artists of many disciplines.  Also actors like to date dancers.  Also, some dancers dabble in acting and vice versa.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 05:44:00 am »

I've been delaying my response on this topic because I needed to sort out my impressions.  In the end, I think ballet is something I could like if I was better educated in it.  I like (for lack of any sophisticated terminology) theatrical dance (e.g. Cats).  The story being conveyed is easier to grasp than ballet however - between the singing and even  spoken lines.  So - basically I'm too lazy.  My cultural enrichment time gets spent on theatre, musicals and the occasional symphony.  Opera and ballet fall into the categories of "worthy, but life is short".
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up