Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ballet  (Read 6642 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ballet
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 06:57:24 am »

Cats?

Huh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 05:00:29 pm »

Yeah, like I said, I'm lazy when it comes to Culture.  Plus, its the first production of its type I ever saw.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Ballet
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 05:55:55 pm »

My reason, as I say, I kind of grew up around dance, and theatre in general, and was subjected to a fair amount of opera as a youngster too, though didn't just grow to hate that either. I guess I went through a phase of denial, but during that phase I had gotten into acting.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ballet
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 07:34:34 pm »

oh, I mean...
I just don't get cats. It seems to me like a bunch of guys in "Cat" costumes reading poetry. I was not being like "huh, his idea of Theater is cats, what a n00b." More like "maybe there is something you are getting that I am not, if you like Cats."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Ballet
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 08:05:11 pm »

I just don't get cats. It seems to me like a bunch of guys in "Cat" costumes reading poetry. I was not being like "huh, his idea of Theater is cats, what a n00b." More like "maybe there is something you are getting that I am not, if you like Cats."

See, as far as Cats goes, I just can't stand Lloyd-Webber. I really just don't like the music he writes, it's that simple. There has never been an exception to that rule for me.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 10:42:51 pm »

...More like "maybe there is something you are getting that I am not, if you like Cats."

It probably has to do with hot women in lycra.  Hips all showin' and sheathed in sleek muscle.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ballet
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 11:06:55 pm »

Quote from: jaydub
It probably has to do with hot women in lycra.  Hips all showin' and sheathed in sleek muscle.

See, though, if that kinda girl were my thing, though... I'd just get a subscription to an upscale health club. Probably less expensive, probably a better chance of getting with a lithe lycra girl and... most importantly... much less crappy musical.

Then again, it shows how rarely I work out because... I can't remember what the term is for a chunk of time at a gymnasium is. A... subscription? That's all I got.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 11:26:32 pm »

At Cat's, you can pass off close observation as "admiring the make-up" or "trying to decide if she's a tabby or a tortiseshell".  Ogling at the health club runs the risk of being escorted off the premises, or being regarded as "creepy".
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ballet
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 11:32:58 pm »

Quote from: jaydub
Ogling at the health club runs the risk of being escorted off the premises, or being regarded as "creepy".

Both of these downsides seem more palatable than having to attend a traditional Broadway musical.

Plus... I mean... if you're committed to the "look but can't touch" thing, you are on the internet. Right now. Right now, we are both on the internet. Pictures of sexy ladies in all manners of dress and undress abound.

There is probably some dude out there with a pornography site devoted to ladies stripping out of old-school 80s-style lycra-jogging suits, just waiting for you, with nary a melodramatically-sung love song sung by a gay man to a woman too thin/drugged-up than to have her menses in sight.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 12:29:41 am »

It is a gym membership.

Also, I was lying earlier; I really don't like opera, dance, musicals or ballet.  I am sure there are some good ones, just like movies, but I don't know, I have really no knowledge about it.  I also don't really want to learn.  Does this make me a bad person?  I don't want to offend anyone, I just don't like it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ballet
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 12:49:06 am »

Quote from: KeithHernandez
I don't want to offend anyone, I just don't like it.

If we are on a messageboard where barbed c*ckes are a running gag, I doubt offense can be taken over disliking some particular performance form. Why would you feel the need to lie about things?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 05:02:25 am »

I don't really know.  I mean, it is rude to be like "I hate what you love" especially when it is on a message board and you don't have to respond, but I did respond, then felt bad about my response.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ballet
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 05:05:01 am »

Quote from: KeithHernandez
I don't really know.  I mean, it is rude to be like "I hate what you love" especially when it is on a message board and you don't have to respond, but I did respond, then felt bad about my response.

Well, you don't have to put it that way, though.

You can be all such as "ain't my thing, chicken wing, but I'm happy you dig on it."

This is what I say to my friends who are gay fellows.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 05:16:20 am »

Heh.

That's why I asked for peoples' opinions, because I'm interested in them, even if they're different from mine. It just interests me to hear what people have to say on the subject. Not to worry.

Still waiting to hear on the "why's" from quite a few of you. :)
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ballet
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 05:27:14 am »

We'll flip this on you, then.

I assume that this thread means that you are heavily into ballet, yes? That it is either your job or your main hobby/sideline? Why are you into it? What sort of ballet are you into? Do you wanna teach or choreograph or are you just a performer?

Basically, I know so little about ballet that I don't even know which questions to ask.

What do you do, why do you do it?

Which is more awesome, eggs or ballet?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up