Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: LA knifing you in the back  (Read 6479 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« on: February 19, 2007, 05:10:06 am »

Los Angeles is the world's capital for women with amazing bodies but plain or ugly faces.

You would think that it is plastic surgery based? But this is not the case. At all.

It is because every girl who was the most attractive girl in her high school or whatever ends up swooping out here on a turnip truck, assuming that she will quickly make millions of dollars off of having a rockin' bod... only to discover that every other prettiest girl in every whistle-stop town's high school has come out here thinking the same thing.

And that at the end of the day, they were probably the prettiest girl in their school because... like... they just had a really nice chest display and actually were kinda weird looking in the face. Except, y'know, everyone in Possum Scrotum, West Virginia was just so happy to see a girl with a great rack that everything else is overlooked.

And pretty soon? You start getting numb to all the stereotypically "great" bodies that are, like, selling coffee and working as receptionists and... start getting crushes on that foreign girl with the sweet honest face working at the CVS around the corner instead.

At least, this has happened to me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 05:20:04 am »

I really want to live in LA. It is my birthplace, and I think the weather is permanently imprinted on my brain. When it is in the 60s or 70s, with a soft breeze and lots of sunshine, I get an irresistible urge to listen to happy 60s pop music. This is the result of My First Mixtape, made for me by my aunt when I moved to Illinois at age 4. It was comprised entirely of songs about LA or California-- every Beach Boys hit, LA Woman, I Love LA, California Dreamin', etc.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 05:40:35 am »

She is the best place in the world to be up. She is one of the worst places in the world to be down. If Manhattan is a man shooting you in the face while cursing you out, she is a child knifing you in the back while complimenting your haircut.

She is where the American Dream ends and she is where the deep forgiving blue of the Pacific begins.

"I Love LA" was written about her and Neil Young wrote "Revolution Blues" about her.

Both songs are right.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 02:52:55 pm »

I have only spent a perfunctory amount of time in L.A., but I am horrified that anyone can live in a place where the air smells and has a texture.  I'm sure it's a place of wonder and possibility and the like, but I was so disgusted by the air that I just wanted to get out of there so damn fast.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 06:06:58 pm »

I really want to go to a game at Chavez Ravine.  (I like that so much better than "Dodger Stadium.")
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 06:17:39 pm »

Seeing a game at Chavez is nice because...

It's pretty homey. It's not like most "Major League Ballparks" that are either... cheesy retro-circuses, leftover football stadiums or painfully out-of-date relics. It's like a giant minor league ballpark. Really good views all over the place, not too many bells or whistles to distract you from the game play.

You're there to watch a baseball game and the place is built as such... which is what it is supposed to be.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 06:48:52 pm »

Seriously guys. Screw LA.


I'm sorry to use harsh hardware.
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 07:03:33 pm »

Oh, are we doing ANOTHER one of these "L.A. sucks" threads? 

So very, very tired.

Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 07:09:50 pm »

Well, it split out of another topic that was tangentally about Los Angeles.

But I wouldn't say I think LA sucks. I love LA, I'm just also acutely away of the downsides.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 08:38:09 pm »

I have to rep 503.  Sure we have crushing darkness and gloom  and...

Ok.  I guess what I mean is I live in the geographical manifestation of Roast Beef.

It has circumstances, but it is RAD.
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 08:54:27 pm »

I'm in your bus, Limmo.

I'm watching you, fuckers. Any stereotypical bullshit and I'll lay the sand hose down. Follow the examples and keep it based on actual observation.
Logged
We must repeat!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 09:05:03 pm »

My wildest, most unrealistic dream is to live in LA. In Venice, to be particular.  In one of those houses that are on those alley sorts of things, I forget what they call them.  (Not on the canals, because even though this is a pipe dream involving a tiny shack that costs millions of dollars, the canals are being ruined so I don't want to live there even if I come into a fortune.)  And since the house will be too tiny to have a home office, I would rent an office in this building down the quiet end of the boardwalk that, last time I was there, had lots of vacant office space, a little taqueria, and a place where Chinese people gave me a foot massage.  I will bring my pugs to work with me - I can walk, of course, so freeways are not a problem in my dream - and I will have a window looking out on the ocean and write mysteries and never have to wear a winter coat again.

I do not see any downside.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 09:06:07 pm »

I have to rep 503.  Sure we have crushing darkness and gloom  and...

Ok.  I guess what I mean is I live in the geographical manifestation of Roast Beef.

It has circumstances, but it is RAD.

Which Achewood character is YOUR city? Take our survey!
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 09:49:16 pm »

My ex has a beautiful house in Thousand Oaks. I really liked it out there even though I visited in the middle of December.  The weather was nice, and as long as you've got enough money for a decent place to live and a nice car you're set. I can't imagine running EMS in a place like that, though. Give me my small rural Alaskan town any day for volunteer EMS. In LA...man, I shudder to think about the sheer volume and type of calls that I'd get. Tons of motor vehicle accidents (MVAs), I'm sure.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 09:58:29 pm »

Apparently Charlotte, NC is a hip new place to move. This article was pretty interesting, even though I suppose it wasn't anything new.
...I still love LA, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up