Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: LA knifing you in the back  (Read 6491 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 02:11:32 am »

My dentist is in Thousand Oaks.

The up side of Ventura County is it is safe and clean.

The down side of Ventura County is it is expensive and eerie.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 03:49:19 am »

I've been to LA twice (once in 1989 or 90, once in '04).  Liked it both times.  But I wouldn't want to live there, or in any other big city. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 04:10:51 am »

I don't really like L.A. all that much.  I've never been able to successfully make it through the area (even as far away as San Bernardino) without being in some inexplicable traffic jam somewhere.  As a city, it seems like it was pre-assembled with one purpose and then people were allowed to move in with some other purpose in mind.  I don't know.  Except for the beach areas, which have their own order of things, the city just doesn't make a lot of sense to me at all.

There are some really beautiful places there, but everything is two hours away from everything else, and between you and your destination are at least three people who are driving slowly in rented luxury cars hoping to see or be seen by someone famous.  Although it isn't totally constructed of image like Las Vegas is, somehow it seems even more fake.

Of course I'm speaking as a San Diegan, so I have a lot of L.A. issues in general.  It is between me and Las Vegas, and always slows me down at least an hour.  If I'm not flying Southwest I'll probably have to land at LAX before I am allowed access to the rest of the country.  It monopolizes the term "Southern California," and to a lesser extent California style itself.  L.A. speaks for more people than it represents, and I kind of resent that.

Some darn good restaurants, though.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 05:09:42 am »

I spent about 6 hours in LA.  I had a fantastic meal of Chinese food.  That is the end of my personal observations of LA.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 06:32:51 am »

I really enjoyed the weather when I was there in December. I wish that I had been there with a non-Crap Dude. In retrospect, I wish that I had made him buy me more stuff.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 06:49:01 am »

I go to school an hour away from L.A., plus I have tons of relatives in the general area, so my impression of L.A. is a city full of places where I don't have to pay for food. Compared to my issues with Las Vegas, my issues with L.A. are nothing. Plus, my dad made a sign twenty years ago that you can still see on the freeway.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 08:13:21 pm »

my dad made a sign twenty years ago that you can still see on the freeway.

which would be...?
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 10:15:47 pm »

Quote
Apparently Charlotte, NC is a hip new place to move. This article was pretty interesting, even though I suppose it wasn't anything new.

I'm thinking about moving to Asheville after graduation, which is apparently a hippie mecca right now. It's a pretty neat little town, reminds me of my hometown (Lawrence, KS).

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 11:05:38 pm »

I am going to be moving to Lawrence or Boulder or Austin after graduation.  Or I'll stay in Norman, it is a good town, and I am in a great place.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 11:14:59 pm »

Quote
I am going to be moving to Lawrence or Boulder or Austin after graduation.  Or I'll stay in Norman, it is a good town, and I am in a great place.

Boulder and Austin are on the list for me too. I'm done with Lawrence for the time being, as dear as it is to my heart. Where do you go to school?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2007, 11:22:57 pm »

Asheville is basically awesome. I really like it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 03:17:14 am »

I got my undergrad degree in Boulder. I really enjoyed it at the time, but I can't see myself moving back. I would love to move back to Denver. I'm also dying to go to Austin, it sounds like such a great town. I'm a huge fan of Austin City Limits and SXSW.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 03:39:21 am »

I got a buddy who edits a film review site heading down to SXSW this evening. He speaks very well of the place. Also, one of my dreams is finding a bootleg of the Tom Waits Austin City Limits.

I passed up on it once at a comic book show bootleg table and it is one of my greatest non-lady-related non-money-related regrets.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

idiomsavant

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 04:22:33 am »

I'm thinking about moving to Asheville after graduation, which is apparently a hippie mecca right now. It's a pretty neat little town, reminds me of my hometown (Lawrence, KS).
I grew up in that place.  Asheville.  It was not so much a hippie mecca 38 years ago, but I guess it is now.  I go back there maybe twice a year.  Asheville.  It's an okay place.  My family likes it.  None of this information is useful to you, I am sure.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: LA knifing you in the back
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2007, 06:18:52 am »

Limmo, the sign is for some Chinese church preschool. I can't remember what it says, but I do know that every single time my father drives past that sign, he tells the epic saga of the struggle to put up that sign by himself in the dark.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up