Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The next time you appreciate how nice large titties look, be happy and smile to yourself. You deserve it.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Truths and a Lie  (Read 39827 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2007, 12:37:22 pm »


So is Jough never going to come back and tell us the answer to his?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2007, 09:08:45 pm »

Quote from: Muse_Of_Fire
#2: I met my best friend on the internet almost 4 years ago.

#3: I have a blood composition that confounds the medical community.

Both of these are interesting statements that require more explanation, for my imagination's sake.

What ABOUT your blood is so confounding? Ratio of red things to white things to scab things? I know so little about blood that I wouldn't know what could be confounding about it. Do the doctors say that you are supposed to be ill from this difference? What side effects do they say you should be having? Do you have any that actually exist?

Moreover, how were you able to bond with this person so well over internet and phone that you term him or her your full-on best friend? I definitely have friends of mine that I know only or mostly through the internet, this is just a reality of the day but...

It seems like there would have to be a story behind how you and this person could bond that fully internetally. And like I say, I have nothing against friendship electronically, some of my closest friends in Los Angeles, I knew first online and now hang out with significantly in physical settings.

But best friend is a pretty strong label that... in my experience, I couldn't apply to any of the people I've never met in person.

Is it that there is a latent beyond-platonic attraction underlying your friendship with him (or, far less likely but exponentially hotter, her) complicating the matter or... something? Is this friend living in Cuba or Iran or some other place that is nearly-impossible for a not-completely-rich person to get to?

There are definitely interesting stories in both of these answers. If they are too personal, don't worry about it but... man, there must be good stories there.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2007, 09:33:39 pm »

My ex (the Crap Dude) had hemolytic anemia spherocytosis, which meant that his body made deformed RBCs and so his spleen kept socking them away as "irregular stock". When he was 4 years old, his spleen was like 2 feet long because it was packed full of irregular RBCs, and his grossly enlarged spleen was crushing his other internal organs. So he had a splenectomy, and his immune system was never quite up to par since then.

That's not a really rare blood disorder, though. The docs recognized it after running a battery of tests.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2007, 09:35:16 pm »

God was retroactively punishing him for being a crap dude to you.

Karma is fourth-dimensional.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2007, 04:05:01 am »

My white blood cell count is extremely low. To the point where, when other doctors (who don't know me) look at my chart, they ask my hematologist how long I have to live. I show no other symptoms of anything that could be tied to a low WBC count. In fact, aside from that blip on the medical record, I'm extremely healthy. My low WBC count should mean that I'm getting infections and the like all the time, but I've missed maybe 10 days of work due to illness in about as many years. I never get sick.

They have been tracking my WBC count monthly for over a year now; and tri-monthly for about a year prior to that. The first instance of low WBC they found was about 5 years ago, although at that time it wasn't freakishly low. It fluctuates, but never seems to go above a certain threshold. I'm now on a six month cycle for checking the count. They have done every test known to medical science on my blood. All of my blood cells and blood components are normal in their morphology and "behavoir" (or whatever), except that my body doesn't make a lot of white ones. Specifically, my neutrophil count is the low one. The doctor explained what it meant to me but I forgot. I dunno. I feel fine.

The doctor kept telling me to call him immediately if I ever got a cold or anything, so I could come in and get a count taken, to see how (or if) my immune system responds to infection, but I haven't been sick in the last 2-3 years. So that's just one they'll never figure out, I guess.

Finally I opted for a bone marrow biopsy (it's not a fun procedure, and it feels gross, but I did get to see a chunk of my own bone without experiencing trauma, so that was kinda cool). My hematologist was thinking that maybe my bone marrow is producing enough white blood cells, but that they were dying off before entering my bloodstream, something called "maturational arrest."

Turns out, my bone marrow is functioning perfectly normally.

So the inexplicability of it is that I should not be as well as I am, and have the blood counts that I do. According to the numbers, I should be down with every possible infection out there, but I'm not.

For the record, when I went in for my bone marrow biopsy, I listened to my iPod as a distraction. The song? Freezepop's "Here Comes A Special Boy" on repeat. :)

As to the other question...

I have another best friend whom I have met in person. I've known her for over ten years and she lives in my city and I'm godmother to her daughter, etc. So I do have a "normal" best friendship as well. My "internet best friend," well, I can't really say how or why that happened the way it did. It just did. We're close. We connect. Like any friendship, we orbit one another and sometimes that orbit is on an "inswing" and other times it's on an "outswing," but the longest we've gone without talking to one another has been, I think two weeks. So there has been a lot of ground covered via conversation in the past 4 years when you consider that it's been a 2-6 hour long conversation almost daily for 4 years. Even on a conservative estimate (typing in chat takes longer and so therefore a 4-hour chat is about the same as maybe a 1-hour phone conversation, we haven't talked every single day--although it's been close, etc), we've still put a lot of time and effort into this friendship.

This is the person I think to talk to when I need a reality check, when the merde hits the fan; the person I worry about when I know something big is coming up; I guess we have chosen to make one another a priority and that's where the friendship has gained so much strength.

The reason we haven't visited in person truly has everything to do with life circumstance and none of the other dramatic ideas you've proposed (although I agree, those would make for a better story). I am unbelievably broke right now, basically living check to check, so a plane ticket is not an option for me. My best friend is at a place in life where travel is not practical. Although we very badly want to plan a visit, and have been talking about it for a few years now, there is also a sense that things are fine as they are, so there's no need to rush a visit necessarily. A visit doesn't seem, to us, to have the potential to change much, aside from our own sense of curiosity about being in one another's physical presence. These things are important, surely--a virtual hug can never ever be the same as a real one, no matter the feeling between friends--but we both know the visit will happen eventually, and in the meantime we'll keep working on and enjoying what we have.

Sorry it's not more dramatic than that. *shrug* Just two people who really click, I guess.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2007, 04:33:58 am »

So, essentially, you are a ballerina linguist with almost no white blood cells.

You should have cards printed up that says that.

That's really interesting! I'm glad you don't suffer any ill effects from that disorder but... yeah... from what little I know about medicine, I don't know how you're perfectly healthy like that, either. But I'm glad that you are.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2007, 04:48:55 am »

So, essentially, you are a ballerina linguist with almost no white blood cells.


Heh. Among other things.

That's really interesting! I'm glad you don't suffer any ill effects from that disorder but... yeah... from what little I know about medicine, I don't know how you're perfectly healthy like that, either. But I'm glad that you are.

Thank you. :) C'est gentil.

And now...I'm waiting for another couple rounds of lies and truths. *looks around, hoping people will post*
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2007, 05:59:35 am »

neutrophil

Neutrophils are like the infantry of the immune system, they respond quickly in large numbers to sites of inflammation and mainly phagocytize bacteria or any small foreign objects they can handle;  but there are other white blood cells that share the same functions.  Perhaps you have other cells compensating for the neutropenia (lack of neutrophils).  You could be the latest step in animal evolution.

Be on the look out for any extraordinary powers you may seem to possess.
Logged
ACHIEVE

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2007, 06:04:14 am »

Are you sure you're not a mutant? Check yourself for incredible psychic powers; I hear that's the first indicator.
Logged

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2007, 04:56:53 am »

Well, I dunno. I can shoot laser beams out of my eyes. Does that count?


;)

C'mon with the lies and truths, people! *does a little cheerleading move*


*feels dumb*


*slinks away*
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2007, 07:00:47 am »

Well, if nobody else is going to do one I can do another one...

1. The house where I lived as a baby appears in a Monty Python sketch.
2. I have been in Trouble for booty dancing in Tiananmen Square.
3. I have seen Vladimir Kramnik play a simultaneous chess match at a bar and got him to autograph my beer mat.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2007, 07:45:17 am »


1)  I was once at a concert with less than 20 people.  Wayne Coyne (of Flaming Lips fame) was one member of the crowd.

2)  Once at the same venue, I saw Spoon.  I stood in line 5 hours before the show started to be first in line.

3)  I have seen Bob Dylan, the Flaming Lips, and Deerhoof (at separate times) at a zoo.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2007, 08:14:36 am »

Ah, yes - I suppose with Jough's that makes three outstanding lists for people to answer now.

KeithHernandez:  I'm going to guess #2.  #1 cannot be the lie without #2 also being a lie, since the Spoon concert could not be at the same venue as a concert that never actually happened.  It also seems highly suspect that you would wait in line for five hours at a place that also hosts concerts with fewer than 20 people.  #3 is too specific (and awesome) to have been made up.  Of course, I'm probably being overly technical, or perhaps you deliberately phrased them that way just to mislead people.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2007, 08:32:44 am »

Yes, you are right.  I am really bad at this game, and also that wasn't even a good lie.

I did wait in line to see a Spoon show for about 5 hours, but only because tickets were sold out but they were letting 50 more people in.  Anyways, this is a tiny venue in Norman, OK, that I saw Johnathan Richman at (he is the guy from the Modern Lovers and Something about Mary(i basically saw that two person band in the movie)).  However, I was like fifth in line.  Also, this place is essentially the same size as a big garage(maybe 4 car personal garage), and there were about 250 people in there.  It was Oklahoma in the summer, and the building is basically a garage for real, so there is little air flow, and a really, really bad Dallas based band by the name Deathray Davies came out, and had an absolutely horrible show.  One of the girls I was with started freaking out and I basically had to go sit outside and smoke cigarettes while she was pissed/hot/bored.  I got to go in towards the end, but it was a huge waste of time.  I have never really liked Spoon since, and it had absolutely nothing to do with them, but whatever.

Also, when I saw the Flaming Lips at the Zoo they did not play Christmas at the Zoo or This Here Giraffe.  Also, I was rolling, and it was when Wayne first introduced his UFO prop, which was amazingly cool, but he talked at least 6 minutes between each song.  It was a major buzzkill and they only played like 13ish songs in about 2 hours.  The second best show I ever saw was them though, so I guess it is alright.  They wasted my money though.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2007, 03:39:22 am »

Dang, MOF, a bone biopsy didn't hurt?

Where did they perform the biopsy? Like, what part of your body? And it didn't hurt?? What did it feel like? I'm intrigued.

For example, one of the things I can do as an EMT-II is an IO, or intraosseous infusion line. If we have an infant that we cannot get an IV line started and the situation is critical, I can start an IO line in the tibia (shin bone, below the knee, on the medial flat portion of the tib). I've been told that it a) hurts like crazy and b) doesn't hurt that much. Which is it, party people? Painful or not that bad?

Anyway, IOs are done as a last resort because of the risk of infection. We also have to be careful and aim AWAY from the bone's growth plate in children. Theoretically we can do IOs on adults too, but usually those are done on the STERNUM. Yes, a tiny bone that's right above your heart, but it DOES have a marrow space that's significant enough to start an IO line within, and our flight paramedics have special equipment to do sternal IOs.  Crazy, huh?
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Up