Well, the reasons I've never tried drugs are pretty tame. Growing up training for a serious career in dance, I couldn't afford to put *anything* into my body that would affect it negatively. And I really didn't want to, out of fear of how it might affect my training. Plus I'm a huge control freak, so the idea of taking something that could make me lose control/personal mental presence was just not something I was into.
At the crossroads between professional dance and college, when fate blocked off the professional dance route with a disastrous mudslide, I chose college. While there, I was extremely poor; paying my own way through school and up to my eyeballs in loans and still working 30 hours or more per week while a full-time student. I rented a 9 x 13 room that shared a kitchen and bath (both also of similar dimensions) with another 9 x 13 room renter. To call it an "apartment" is being very generous. It was in a high-rise off campus, kind of bordering on a shady part of town. The entire building was filthy and in poor repair. The only reason we didn't have roaches, I think, was because we were on the 9th floor. There were few residents in this building, and those who were there (aside from me and my roommate) were, shall we say, "entrepreneurs." Chemists, you could say; or perhaps simply distributors. Their product was very specialized, if you know what I mean. It got totally raided shortly after I moved out.
In the meantime, during my college career, I was doing what anyone in college does: partying. There was pot all around all the time, and since at this time I was embittered on dance (due to the aforementioned mudslide), I had no reason to "Say No." However every time it was offered to me I was just kind of, "Meh," and so never tried it. I guess it just didn't seem all that alluring to me, I dunno. I have nothing against it, I just don't really have any great urge to try it, I guess. And any drugs besides pot are too scary for me, given my control freak tendencies.
So there you have it, Mets.