Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Truths and a Lie  (Read 39714 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2007, 02:25:05 am »

1-- my family name is Burton, but I am not related to the snowboard company. Or the director. I often (jokingly) claim to be, though.
2-- one of my best friends here is actually Tom Cruise's niece. She does not like for people to know this, although she has a kind of weird pride about it.
3-- my best friend in middle school was the son of one of the co-founders of ESPN. I didn't know this for years.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2007, 02:32:27 am »

1-- my family name is Burton, but I am not related to the snowboard company. Or the director. I often (jokingly) claim to be, though.
2-- one of my best friends here is actually Tom Cruise's niece. She does not like for people to know this, although she has a kind of weird pride about it.
3-- my best friend in middle school was the son of one of the co-founders of ESPN. I didn't know this for years.

I want to say 2, but Jesus I wouldn't want people to know I was related to him either. Ok, it's 1. You actually are Tim Burton.

My lie is #1 - she is actually 4 years younger than I am (and I had no idea that this board maintained such antipathy towards her). The second Mrs. America was my babysitter. She was lovely, and we had a wonderful time. Her husband later was Lt. Gov. of Alaska. I did speak Japanese as my first language, but my family moved back to Alaska when I was three or so.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 02:37:49 am by Nabubrush drinks (a lot) »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2007, 02:38:55 am »

If someone was related to Tom Cruise and everyone knew about it, that's pretty much an invitation to having everything you owned covered in grafitti that says "Xenu rules!" and "My uncle wants to pray the gay away!" and so on.

The world wants vengence on Tom Cruise but he lives on a zepplin battleship and travels by armed rickshaw... so most of us would have to settle for revenging ourselves upon his more accessable relations.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2007, 03:31:20 am »

I don't know what this means.

Linnea, I'm going to say #1 is your lie; although I'd bet you probably need to know ASL for your work (you are an EMT-type, right? I'm still too new... maybe mixing up my forum-acquaintance traits in my head). So this kinda makes me lean towards #2, but I'm going to stick with #1. #3 is way too specific compared to the others; for some reason this makes me think it's true although now that I think about it, I'm sure I should be thinking it's the lie for the same reason.

Anyhow, I'm sticking to my first instinct and saying it's #1.

I'm going to say #3, and I'm going to say that it was a cunning trick you tried to play on all of us, because you have a new Burton board but you've been shredding on it all season.

Now go and try my set.


MOF is right, it's #1 that is the lie. I am an EMT-II, but I've never had a Deaf patient who speaks sign language...yet.

I studied ASL for a solid year in college and was fluent at the time. However, after college I wasn't able to practice, and so most of my vocabulary has faded away. there is only one Deaf person on the island that I know of, but she was raised in an era where ASL was for "stupid people", so she only reads lips and doesn't know a single word of sign language. It's such a gorgeous, poetic language. I remember seeing in some of our Deaf Culture videotapes that a lot of Deaf kids get pissed when people just stare at them while they're talking....but it's so mesmerizing!  Most hearing folks have not seen people speaking in sign language, so they tend to stare because it's fascinating. It's highly rude in Deaf culture to do so, because it's blatant eavesdropping. Also, over the past several decades there's been a huge movement to recognize Deaf culture, which is why it's spelled with a capital D.

#2 is true, the Crap Dude to whom I was once engaged was really into martial arts, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Jeet Kun Do being his specialties, so I trained at a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu academy for several months.

#3 is also true, I have a gorgeous board that I haven't been able to take out. My friends that I used to go boarding with have all since moved off island, and I don't know anyone that I can go with. Going into the backcountry solo to snowboard is a baaaaad idea, so I havent' done it. I should probably break out of my shell and go meet new people and make an effort...but meh, I'll just sit around and look at it some more.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 03:35:03 am by linnea »
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2007, 03:35:00 am »

You know, if I had thought about where you are, I would have gotten that. Ding-dang.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2007, 04:56:58 am »

The world wants vengence on Tom Cruise but he lives on a zepplin battleship and travels by armed rickshaw... so most of us would have to settle for revenging ourselves upon his more accessable relations.

I think just being Tom Cruise is punishment enough.  Just be glad it's him, not you.
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2007, 05:07:48 am »

I hate Tom Cruise, just hate him all to hell. Why doesn't he pick on diabetics for needing insulin? Why do Scientologists frown on psychiatry, and why do they think that people gotta pray the gay away? He's such a crap dude.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2007, 05:14:25 am »

You should probably never come to Los Angeles, then, Lin.

On a nice weekend afternoon, you basically cannot throw a bottle of Zoloft in any direction without hitting some motherfucker at a folding table on a street corner, offering a "free personality test" that is gonna end with a dude telling you some crazy shit about the souls of alien ghosts being trapped in a volcano that was nuked, a million years ago.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2007, 05:22:44 am »

the only Scientologist "church" in the US outside of LA is down the street from my school.

Also: #2 was the lie.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2007, 05:29:33 am »

Really? That's a strange-ass fact... especially when you consider that there are, like, eighty of them in Los Angeles. They are such as the Starbucks of pyramid-scheme fake-religions out here... basically, every third block.

Where is this one other church? I'm trying to think of places in America where "rich" and "crazy" are both in high-enough concentrations for such an affair. Manhattan? Berkeley?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2007, 05:40:07 am »

St. Louis, MO.

Actually, it's technically in University City Missouri. I believe.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2007, 05:46:21 am »

Quote from: theinevitable
Actually, it's technically in University City Missouri. I believe.

A college area, I presume by the name?

A college area definitely fulfills the vendt-diagram requirement for "crazy" and "rich" to which I earlier spoke.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2007, 05:52:41 am »

I mean, I guess. WashU is in University City. Which is really part of St Louis proper. I feel like the kind of kids that are at WashU, though, are more likely to find Scientology hilarious and mock it openly. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

also, i think they don't tell people the part about Aliens and Volcanoes and stuff immediately anymore.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 05:56:02 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2007, 01:51:43 pm »

I did speak Japanese as my first language, but my family moved back to Alaska when I was three or so.

I would feel clever about guessing this but it's more than made up for by my lousy research on #1, not thinking to try to compare the birth years. Dang.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Two Truths and a Lie
« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2007, 02:46:58 pm »

the only Scientologist "church" in the US outside of LA is down the street from my school.

Also: #2 was the lie.

There's on in DC in the Dupont Circle area, also. I think so, anyway. It might be just an admisistrative building.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Up