Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rushmore!  (Read 3346 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Rushmore!
« on: February 23, 2007, 04:52:03 am »

I loved this film! Just saw it for the first time tonight. Kind of unresolved at the end, which normally makes me nuts, but I really enjoyed it. It was pretty much just a character study, which I ordinarily *hate*, IMO it's a total cop-out genre; but Rushmore was awesome. 3/4 stars.

Generally when I watch a film I look very carefully at writing, production design, and editing, and Rushmore was pretty solid on all three. None of them rearranged my molecular structure terribly, but all were solidly done, separately, and together they were far greater than the sum of their parts. A little slow in places, but overall very engaging. Quirky with a capital IRK.

Anyone else seen this film? Opinions? Thoughts? Similar recommendations?

Oh, and PS: The protagonist, Max Fischer, reminded me *utterly* of a beloved special very important friend of mine.   You know who you are.


Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 05:05:15 am »

wonderful! I love this film. I finally saw it over x-mas break. my friend and I watched it a few days ago-- actually, thanks for reminding me, we never watched the last half hour or so.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 05:23:56 am »

I adore anything Wes Anderson, though I have only seen it once and a long while back. I did however buy it on DVD just the other day as it was on offer, and will have to get round to watching it again real soon.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 05:38:52 am »

I won a giiiiiiant cardboard tube at a screening of "Rushmore" in college.

Like giiiiiiiiiiiiant. Like, they raffled off some soundtracks of "Rushmore" and some posters and then kind of as a joke, they raffled off this tube as kind of a joke and I won. I accepted it as though I'd won a goddamn Oscar and at the end of the screening, my roommate and I carried it back while chanting epic songs.

As though we were bringing the wolf through town on parade at the end of "Peter and the Wolf".

I would tell people that Batman had a giant penny and I had a giant tube.

Later, my brother hacked a hole into it and incorporated it into his stereo system by using it to amplify a speaker from a broken Wurlitzer.

It looks like a giant flute now.

Also, I enjoyed "Rushmore" a good deal. Max reminded me a lot of Young Me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 09:33:21 am »

I won a giiiiiiant cardboard tube at a screening of "Rushmore" in college.

Like giiiiiiiiiiiiant. Like, they raffled off some soundtracks of "Rushmore" and some posters and then kind of as a joke, they raffled off this tube as kind of a joke and I won. I accepted it as though I'd won a goddamn Oscar and at the end of the screening, my roommate and I carried it back while chanting epic songs.

When I was in the second grade, I won a giant butcher-paper-cutout picture of a French hen. My elementary school had done "Twelve Days of Christmas" decoration for the Christmas pageant, and for some reason they gave the damn things out via a drawing; I was an unlucky kid, so winning this made me near-apoplectic with glee. It hung in my room for five years, until we moved, and I'm not sure what came of it afterwards, but given my family's propensity for hoarding, I'm sure it's around here somewhere.

I haven't actually seen Rushmore. Unfortunately, this means I can't get the thread back on topic, but someone else should.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 01:16:20 pm »

I totally used to start crazy clubs for everything in school.  Now I make websites for them.

Anyway, yeah, Rushmore is one of my favourite films of all time.  I have seen it, by liberal estimate, about 200 times.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 04:35:12 pm »

I adored the Royal Tenenbaums, so I thought I'd rent Rushmore. I really disliked it.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 05:24:02 pm »

I've never seen it. I avoided it when it came out because of that damned "O.R. they" joke from the commercial that was played roughly 237 a day.
Logged

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 08:00:07 pm »

I've never seen it. I avoided it when it came out because of that damned "O.R. they" joke from the commercial that was played roughly 237 a day.

Although it is far from the funniest thing in that movie, I really like the kid's delivery of it (I can't remember who he is).

But yeah.  Great stuff.  The war play reminds me of all the ridiculous ideas we had for all the plays I did in high school (we all were like "lets actually have a two floor ship for Anything Goes and when that guy goes in the water he'll actually jump in a giant pool and blah blah blah).
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 10:10:34 pm »

I adored the Royal Tenenbaums, so I thought I'd rent Rushmore. I really disliked it.

Seconded, though I saw Rushmore before Tenenbaums.  I did not like Max Fischer at all, which is sort of a big problem in terms of overall enjoyment, y'know, not liking the main character. 

Tenenbaums, though...pure awesome.

Have yet to see The Life Aquatic.

I seem to remember liking the bumpers that the Max Fischer Players did for that year's MTV Movie Awards better than the actual film.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 10:43:08 pm »

when my school did Anything Goes, it actually was a 2 floor set.

...sorry.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 11:34:16 pm »

We had a two-floor set for "Fame," by which I mean "the stage, two small risers at stage left and right, and one huge riser at back center, upon which most of the big dance numbers took place and under which the band was playing." How this avoided collapsing and killing everyone, I'll never know.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 12:26:39 am »

This is kind of random - but Rushmore features Seymour Cassel who is the father-in-law of my cousin (whom I mentioned today in a different thread).  Strange forces are aligning themselves in my life.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 09:08:22 am »

It was filmed in my neighborhood.

[image]
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 09:13:30 am »

when my school did Anything Goes, it actually was a 2 floor set.

...sorry.

Don't feel bad, our school was rather terrible, and the fact that there was a drama program at all was something to be happy about.

We had a two-floor set for "Fame," by which I mean "the stage, two small risers at stage left and right, and one huge riser at back center, upon which most of the big dance numbers took place and under which the band was playing." How this avoided collapsing and killing everyone, I'll never know.
Once we did Moon over Buffalo (hilarious by the way) and we had two "Staircases" which were downstage left and right (they were each a set of three steps).  Every night at least one of them broke.  This is possibly one of the reasons why we never made very elaborate sets.  Also we probably couldn't afford it.

Edit: My 2^7th post!  ROCK!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:11:24 pm by coldfrog »
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up