Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rushmore!  (Read 3358 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 01:09:54 pm »

We had a two-floor set for "Fame," by which I mean "the stage, two small risers at stage left and right, and one huge riser at back center, upon which most of the big dance numbers took place and under which the band was playing." How this avoided collapsing and killing everyone, I'll never know.

We had pretty much exactly the same set up when we did Fame at our local theatre many years back. Is it just the norm? I remember having to hustle up onto the back riser for the last number after we all got our t shirts on. And I remember my impeccable (or perhaps not so) Puerta Rican accent,  and them having to change the lyrics for my song, 'as there would be young people there'.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 01:40:10 pm »

We had a two-story set for Anything Goes too.  I remember the "steps" leading up to the second story entrance backstage were incredibly unsafe and shaky.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 07:15:02 pm »

I finished my 2nd watching of Rushmore!
my friend enjoyed it very much, also. We agreed that it was a good film. The ending was better than I remembered.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 07:16:51 pm »

And I remember my impeccable (or perhaps not so) Puerta Rican accent,  and them having to change the lyrics for my song, 'as there would be young people there'.

Oh, God, you played that guy? I remember being very pissed about that when we staged; we had an extremely talented, interesting, quirky guy playing that part, and then the entirety of "Can't Keep It Down" got cut for being "inappropriate," which left him with basically no role. I considered it yet another triumph of my director's damnable taste for the whitebread. (That production of Fame was sort of hilarious anyway, because you can imagine what kind of casting problems you have when you're trying to cast a show set in New York City out of the concert choir from a high school in Suburban Nebraska. They managed to get a Carmen who seemed vaguely Hispanic, but, in a feat so perverse it must have been intentional, every black character was blonde in our version.)
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 07:51:34 pm »

yeah. My highschool is doing West Side Story, and basically everyone there is white. Actually, probably literally everyone in the theater program. My two incredibly talented blond friends are very upset, because a dark-haired girl who can -maybe- pass as Hispanic got cast as Maria instead of them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 09:44:52 pm »

That production of Fame was sort of hilarious anyway, because you can imagine what kind of casting problems you have when you're trying to cast a show set in New York City out of the concert choir from a high school in Suburban Nebraska.

Joe I think he was called, yeah. As I say, for ours they just changed the lyrics, though for the life of me I can't remember what to. It vaguely worked  at least and meant I did have something to do, although two of the guys as my backing were incapable of singing  or dancing which didn't help.
As for casting even New Yorkers, it's got to be easier in Nebraska than North East England! Again, probably the most ethnic looking person was the girl playing Carmen, and she at least could pull off an accent, as could a couple of the other guys. A number of them didn't even seem to try though, and the majority were just going for an 'American accent', whatever that's supposed to be.

For topic... I will watch Rushmore tomorrow night, again, finally.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Rushmore!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 12:32:49 am »

We had a two-level set with lots of trapdoors for Oliver!

I'm not familiar with Anything Goes. Does this mean I lose at high school drama?
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up