Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small  (Read 6119 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« on: February 23, 2007, 07:10:07 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02232007

Poor Philippe is too young to understand the Breast Man / Ass Man debate and is left to watch from the sidelines with his little pen.

This is pretty inconsiderate on Téodor's part.  You just know he kept the elite Breast Man torch & grappling hook set for himself.  That fuck*ng guy.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:33:21 am by iron_felix »
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 07:26:28 am »

Now I am not a man who cries at movies or finds puppies cute, but whenever those jerks mess with phillipe, a little part of me dies. Hopefully one of the little parts Ive ruined with years of tobacco and alcohol abuse.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 07:41:59 am »

Pretty much, if the alt-text transitions into commenting on the day's strip in relation to the breast man/ass man schism on into the future for weeks and months, it would be about as awesomely weird as I could ever ask for from the internet.

Yay, alt-text.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 08:00:31 am »

I wasn't going to say this yesterday because I liked the strip so much, but I think I'd be happier if this didn't develop into a full-fledged story arc.  It seems much better suited as a sort of intermittent meta-theme, like these classic examples.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 09:07:17 am »

Teodor isn't really "messing with" Philippe here - he saw it, thought "Philippe likes these weird little things, might as well blow a quarter on it and make his day". The problem is that Philippe has Unrealistic Expectations.
Logged

mrchee

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
  • -NULLAM REM NATAM-
    • View Profile
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 09:20:29 am »

When a pen that retails for 99 cents has 25% off, does it sell for 74 or 75 cents?

why do i have a can?  remove it at once
Logged
If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 09:36:07 am »

Man, being a breast man gets you extra discounts at the dollar store? Goddammit, now I need to figure out the androphilic equivalent so I can buy hella tiny pens, plastic frogs, and witch taffy.
Logged

idiomsavant

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 10:58:05 am »

The best part of the Wallet Pen's package design is the "TV" graphic, without any other contextualizing information.  Just kind of generally noting the existence of television.

I once saw an ad for some product in the Weekly World News with a similar graphic, which read "similar to those seen on TV."
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 01:04:42 pm »

We're keeping mrchee can-neutral, people. 

This one made me laugh a little, but then I read the alt-text and have been laughing off and on for the past five minutes or so. 

You can't buy a kid a $.15 present and expect him to get too excited about it.

Man, that's seriously the worst gift ever.  And Philippe's reaction to it was remarkably restrained, I thought.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 02:00:36 pm »

We're keeping mrchee can-neutral, people. 

This one made me laugh a little, but then I read the alt-text and have been laughing off and on for the past five minutes or so. 

You can't buy a kid a $.15 present and expect him to get too excited about it.

Man, that's seriously the worst gift ever.  And Philippe's reaction to it was remarkably restrained, I thought.


I don't know. This is the same kid who was thrilled by the Walk Around Butt and Emeril Eyebrows. Had Teodor not paused long enough for Phillipe to get his hopes up then I bet he actually would've liked it.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 02:43:21 pm »

I like how you can see every dream and hope crumbling in Phillipe's expression. Reminds me of myself at that age. Life was good, full of drama.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 02:57:49 pm »

I don't know. This is the same kid who was thrilled by the Walk Around Butt and Emeril Eyebrows. Had Teodor not paused long enough for Phillipe to get his hopes up then I bet he actually would've liked it.

Come on, not even Philippe could love this pen.  It's not even big enough to fit inside the packaging snugly.  All rattling around at the bottom, all sliding back and forth like some kind of spirit level.  There isn't even a clip on the end to put it in your pocket; there's just a little stub.  Talk about a pen which basically has AIDS.
Logged

katal

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 03:03:30 pm »

This is so Mickey penis Pancakes pt. 2.
Not that I'm complaining.
Although I wish I had such a tiny pen. What a conversation starter THAT would be.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 03:09:44 pm »

"Looks Small, Is Small" is seriously great marketing.  

It really separates this product from those which look small but are, in fact, not small.

A good example of that is the Verizon version of the Motorola RAZR phone: "Looks Small, Is Disappointingly Cumbersome (Particularly When You Try To Put It In One Of The Front Pockets Of Your Jeans)."
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 03:11:05 pm »

Although I wish I had such a tiny pen. What a conversation starter THAT would be.

I had to read that twice to make sure you weren't wishing for something absurd.  With all the Sick Fucks up in this, a man cannot be too careful.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up