Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?  (Read 4383 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« on: February 28, 2007, 03:08:58 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02282007

I understand Roast Beef actually wrote this out himself in Visio and submitted it to Onstad for posting.  Phillipe's was drawn on a 3X5 card in crayon.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 03:14:35 am »

Very very nice.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 03:14:51 am »

This is the 2nd online comic that I've read in the past 3 minutes to mention Judge Judy. Coincidence? I certainly hope so.
Logged

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 03:18:07 am »

Do you think he'll really offer us one of those with our names in it?  I'd actually consider getting one of those, it looks as if it would make a good wall-hang.  Then again, do I really need to be reminded about that damn gross oil in the peanut butter every day I'm depressed?
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 03:37:46 am »

Can I can this strip?
The wiring in my apartment is rude and my lightbulbs have a lifetime of maybe a week. Eventually we end up carrying lightbulbs to different rooms while we wait for building maintenance.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 04:39:53 am »

I have a theory on the proliferation of Judge Judy lately, actually, because now that you've mentioned it, she HAS been kinda heavy in the zeitgeist lately...

I think that when it hit the news that the judge in the Anna Nicole case was bein' all nutty because he's been gunning for a teevee judge show for years, everyone's point of comparison to his potential show was Judge Judy.

And so she's floatin' around in the collective subconscious in relation to Crazy Accent Judge.

That's my theory, anyway.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 05:39:55 am »

The idea that you can order this with your own or someone else's name in Beef's place is vastly depressing. Like, more depressing than the strip itself, which is an achievement.

Can I get Philippe's instead?
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 06:21:35 am »

I made icons.



If I had that font it would probably be quicker to make them from scratch.  But I don't. 

I'd better go eat some peanut butter.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:28:48 am by Lister »
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 06:32:50 am »

Why is reading the internet easier than reading books for depressed people?  It's clearly true, but why? 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

isaacs_law

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 07:01:43 am »

Oh god the non-linear storytelling Scott McCloud orgasms.

This is splendid good. Somehow he's placed everything just right so the eye stops, or trails off, at the perfect spots for maximum frustration and despair.

Sometimes Onstad's work reminds me of Chris Ware, but a Chris Ware I prefer to the real Chris Ware. Insular, claustrophobic and given to nonlinear panels and old-school fontage (the Onstadian black-box "Soon." or "Later." is a straight Ware rip, I think), yet with a somewhat less rawly documentary focus on dysfunction. I think my issue with Ware is that he seems to actively avoid engaging with, or giving a damn about his own characters (though this is based solely on Jimmy Corrigan, so maybe I can be corrected). To me, making that artistic choice is like choosing to write a novel without dialogue. It's legitimate, but why?

Anyway, today's comic is like Ware, but with a sense of recognition and a Judge Judy joke.




Now, somebody else drop the name of a well-known comics creator with a degree of crossover success. Do it for no reason.

Art Spiegelman! No, you, I said you.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:11:59 am by isaacs_law »
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 08:12:09 am »

See, I was gonna say that it was reminiscent of some of Groening's early "Life is Hell" work but... I didn't have any concrete examples to refer to and, hence, I was gonna lay quiet on the subject.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 08:29:05 am »

I'll back you up on that.  In fact, I think the working title for "Life in Hell" was "A Series of Depressing Yet Humorous Flowcharts."
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 08:58:50 am »

That was my first thought upon reading the strip.  As far as examples go, the two specific ones that come to mind at present are the one in Love is Hell following the different paths a relationship can take and the one plotting the evolution of music from primordial lava noises to vulgar sea shanties to hip-hop and so forth.  If I had any of the books with me I would go look these up, but sadly they are all 2,000 miles away at my parents' house.

Does Philippe's flowchart actually lighten the mood of the strip, or is it really just there to make Beef's chart more depressing by comparison?  I'm tempted to order one of the personalized charts for myself, but I really just don't feel like it right now.
Logged

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 12:17:37 pm »

Why is reading the internet easier than reading books for depressed people?  It's clearly true, but why? 

Maybe the light from the screen acts like an anti-depression lamp.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: February 28, 2007 - Am I craving chinese food because I'm dying?
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 04:27:04 pm »

This comic was rather manic-depressive.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up