Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!  (Read 13745 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2007, 01:43:04 am »

 
And it turns out I did suggest IDing shit before adding to the thread. I will point out that, as this is your sandbox, you could always lock the everloving fuck out of the thread.

You are right, it would be a better thread if it were more like the one about guessing the lie: you have to guess the previous obscure reference before adding a new one.  Earn the right to make me feel uncool and out of touch, dammit.

Still, since other people are having fun I will refrain from abusing my awesome powers.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2007, 01:43:29 am »

Maybe because it's the only way to sing it?

EDIT:  Okay, I will try to explain.  Imagine that there was a song about your field, and it had a catchy, rocking out, rhyming chorus, and that chorus ended with the line "You're one bad-ass fuck*ng neurotransmitter!"  And now imagine how you would sing that song. 

No, no, I understand that the song is totally badass. I'm not questioning that! Even I can respect this badassery! It always confused me more because of the sudden emphasis when the rest of the song is also awesome to yell, especially the part about Benoit Mandelbrot being in heaven when he's dead, which he isn't.

Anyway, to get this back on subject:

Of course I can -- I'm an elf! We're not just fictional devices!
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2007, 01:48:58 am »

I really like this jacket but the sleeves are much too long.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2007, 02:56:36 am »

(even less obscure than my previous two)

That is one damn fine coat you're wearing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2007, 03:17:59 am »

catch a match, a bang bang, a flashing fist of crackerjack, a smack, a lick, a char char, you're all burned out.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2007, 03:33:51 am »

catch a match, a bang bang, a flashing fist of crackerjack, a smack, a lick, a char char, you're all burned out.

Now that's an odd band right there.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2007, 03:38:53 am »

Now that's an odd band right there.

I haven't listened to them in a long time, but at last count I had 38 Legendary Pink Dots and Dots-related albums.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2007, 03:48:04 am »

Still, since other people are having fun I will refrain from abusing my awesome powers.

Oh abuse your power . . . it's sooooo hot!

If I was a mod (and I made some minor attempts to become one back in the day) I'd abuse the everliving fuck out of my powers.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2007, 03:58:27 am »

For wombat's benefit, here's a list of mine:

Oh come on, that was way more than 100 pounds

PCU

Then I ram my ovapositor down your throat and lay my eggs in your chest. But I'm not an alien!

MST3K: The Movie

And hang a calfskin on thy recreant limbs

King John. Act 2 or 3, I think

and his baby brother's playing seek and hide. I did it backwards again, that's 11 out of 10, all he wanted was best 3 out of 5

Colouring Lesson. A band nobody has heard of.


Your just the baby school! I'm the big league chew!
Oh. How stupid of me. That was the sound of chainsaw nunchuks.




You'll pay for this, and I don't mean with money. Unless it's a whole lot of money.

The first two are from the comic Dr. McNinja. The last one is from the Tick comics.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2007, 04:06:32 am »

Colouring Lesson. A band nobody has heard of.

Well, I don't know what the fuck goes on with nested quotes, but what's the deal with Colouring Lesson? I have come to trust your judgement (or judgment) on music. Are they indeed indie pop, as the almight allmusic tells me?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2007, 04:14:01 am »

Well, I don't know what the fuck goes on with nested quotes, but what's the deal with Colouring Lesson? I have come to trust your judgement (or judgment) on music. Are they indeed indie pop, as the almight allmusic tells me?

They are rock-reggae. They were active in the late 90's and broke up to work on separate projects* and reformed about 2 years ago. The "Similar artists" on AMG are only similar because they were all on the same label (Fowl, started by Jimi HaHa of Jimmy's Chicken Shack). The front man writes most of the songs with Trevor handling the more reggae-heavy tracks. Dave is all about the lyrics although he's known to care more about clever phrasing and interesting imagery than songs that tell coherent stories.

Samples. Just don't start with My Spot, which is their worst song. Why it's a sample I couldn't tell you.


*Dave Hill, the frontman, left to start the band Fidel which was more rock and had a DJ and an Emmy-winning drummer. Really. As of this writing Fidel is showing as my last-played-song because Last.fm is updating very slowly lately
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2007, 04:20:32 am »

I will do this as well, then.

:: "OH NO! SOBEK IS TOTALLY THE HUNGER BEAST!"

Basically the big reveal in this week's issue of DC Comics 52. I'm... I'm a huge dork. Sobek is a mutated crocodile man that played some of Captain Marvel's supporting cast for fools and then totally ate one of them at his moment of weakness.

:: "Ducky!" "Get the fuck in!"

The end of the Mr. Show episode "It's Perfectly Understandishable". After the new Dhali Lama, who used to completely be a stoner, defeated the rich fat kid's camp in the Summer Camp Olympics by slitting a fat kid's throat and then winning a rap competition...

Well, the Lama and his best friend are picked up by Jon Cryer and a monkey named Dr. Bologna in a convertable. It's pretty much the funniest thing I have ever seen.

:: "I was born before the Age of Chivalry."

Methos, the four-thousand-year-old badass in "Highlander" completely explaining why he is prepared to chop off an immortal lady's head if she is an evil-type immortal lady.

:: "You thanked Hitler!"

There was a KITH skit about a man who got an award and accidentally thanked Hitler.

...these are some of the many awesome things I enjoy.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2007, 04:24:39 am »

oh my god, why have I not seen this KITH skit?

I feel like that is one of my greatest fears. that, and that for some reason I'll get mad at someone and use a Racial Slur.
I am not sure why these are my fears.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2007, 04:28:00 am »

:: "Ducky!" "Get the fuck in!"

The end of the Mr. Show episode "It's Perfectly Understandishable". After the new Dhali Lama, who used to completely be a stoner, defeated the rich fat kid's camp in the Summer Camp Olympics by slitting a fat kid's throat and then winning a rap competition...

Well, the Lama and his best friend are picked up by Jon Cryer and a monkey named Dr. Bologna in a convertable. It's pretty much the funniest thing I have ever seen.

True dat. Fucken comedy gold.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2007, 04:30:14 am »

No, no, I understand that the song is totally badass. I'm not questioning that! Even I can respect this badassery! It always confused me more because of the sudden emphasis when the rest of the song is also awesome to yell, especially the part about Benoit Mandelbrot being in heaven when he's dead, which he isn't.

Anyway, to get this back on subject:

Of course I can -- I'm an elf! We're not just fictional devices!

Do you notice that there is a personal message? If so, I will decide you choose not to respond. (This goes for the rest of you, as V is not the only one to recieve personal notes.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up