Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!  (Read 13674 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2007, 05:56:35 am »

Quote from: AugustWest
Louie is Down!

Are we talking "I wanna dip my BALLS in it" Louie?

Or a different Louie?

(I just saw the Reno 911 movie and I have been thinking fondly on The State.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2007, 06:02:14 am »

Are we talking "I wanna dip my BALLS in it" Louie?

Or a different Louie?

(I just saw the Reno 911 movie and I have been thinking fondly on The State.)

Different.  Think Little Nephew Louie.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2007, 04:04:18 pm »

Looks like I'm a bit late to this party, but whatever.
That's not a cultural reference, by the way, just an observation.

Maybe in a crazy town like this, you pay for the happy Winston Churchill quote with the nasty parrot shit.

I'm Jesus and you're not.

They're only pretending to be rocks!
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2007, 04:12:33 pm »

remember when Fonzie won the dance competition? That shit was sick.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2007, 05:44:20 pm »

My stepfather looks just like David Bowie, but he hates David Bowie. I think Bowie's cool.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2007, 07:28:45 pm »

Quote from: CortJstr
My stepfather looks just like David Bowie, but he hates David Bowie. I think Bowie's cool.

Man, that is what we call a CLUTCH Built to Spill reference.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2007, 11:37:02 pm »

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy,
John Denver in an airplane makes me cry.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2007, 12:32:25 am »

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing noise they make as they pass by".

I've heard this attributed to a few people, but I think it's Douglas Adams
Logged

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2007, 12:37:18 am »

Several reliable sources support the Douglas Adams attribution.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2007, 01:32:33 am »

"Askin' askin' askin! Always multitaskin'!"

"YOUTH is TRUTH! I wish OLD rhymed with LIES!"
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2007, 01:41:02 am »

I get $10 for cars
I get $20 for limos
What the hell is this?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2007, 02:47:57 am »

Damn Salmon is a great one. I never realised how many essays and articles he had written, and it's fun to read some of his books right after since he seems to just throw everything he is interested in that he can.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2007, 05:17:40 am »

just as the rhythm's designed to bounce
what counts is that the rhyme's designed to fill your mind

probably not obscure, but that line... filled my mind? it won't get out.

edit: part of what I like is that it is real hard to decide where to put the line break. So I just kind of put it between the two ideas, rather than where one of the rhymes is.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 05:42:59 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2007, 05:24:44 am »

 remember when officer kirk was going to arrest fonzie and the whole town dressed in leather jackets and jeans? That shit was sick.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2007, 05:50:49 am »

What did I do to deserve this? What was my crime?
Was it because I sampled Die Toten Hosen that one time?!
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up