Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments  (Read 9490 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 11:36:40 pm »

I know Alton also advises adding tortilla chips to pressure good chili since that will totally dissolves them and thicken the sauce.

I use a roux made from Masa flour in mine, which is basically the same effect, but with butter instead of corn oil.  It is awesome.

Hmm, I should post my chili recipe somewhere.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 07:14:28 am »

God, I love the internet.

Elapsed time: 2 minutes. I am stunned. Thank you, my dear.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 08:19:30 pm »

I could see having cinnamon rolls for dessert after chili.  But together?  That's kinda weird.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 08:24:26 pm »

It actually sounds pretty delicious to me. I've never heard of it though.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 10:06:16 pm »

See, I could completely see the spiciness of the chili... subtly continuing over in the spicy undercurrent of a cinnamon-based dessert quite well? Such as you don't think "spicy meal" and "sweet rich dessert" goes together but...

Chili-type flavour and cinnamon-type flavour have a set of similarities that probably make it awesome.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 06:17:45 am »

I could see the spicy-hot-savory and the spicy-sweetness going together, but maybe in a curry or something. Eating a Cinnabon and chili just sounds like a new level of American gluttony, like Snickers-stuffed cheesecake-covered deep-fried Twinkies or something.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 06:31:24 am »

Maybe if you are the type of person that eats cornbread smothered in honey with your chili, eating cinnamon rolls with chili would make sense because you're already consuming sugary bread. Next: Eating chili with snickerdoodle cookies.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 06:46:28 am »

that made me laugh real hard. hell of canned.

also I vomited a little bit?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 06:19:13 pm »

The highest level of American gluttony in its purest and more proletarian fashion is the Chocodile.

It is a Twinkie... that is dipped in chocolate, kind of just because it could be done.

Dear Christ, it is awesome.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2007, 06:42:17 pm »

The highest level of American gluttony in its purest and more proletarian fashion is the Chocodile.

It is a Twinkie... that is dipped in chocolate, kind of just because it could be done.

Dear Christ, it is awesome.

I thought a Chocodile also had chocolate cake and "creme"
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2007, 08:17:32 pm »

Not the Chocodiles I have to try and stop myself from eating. Maybe they're different in other regions?

Just a full-on Twinkie covered in chocolate.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2007, 08:23:08 pm »

Not the Chocodiles I have to try and stop myself from eating. Maybe they're different in other regions?

Just a full-on Twinkie covered in chocolate.

I've never actually seen a Chocodile, that's just what I thought they were based on Lore's Rating.

The mention of them in American Dad further proves the writers have never been anywhere near McLean. At least they don't say "the 495"
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 05:53:14 am »

Sometimes i'll have a piece of cornbread with my chili like at our annual Soup Off auction if someone else has made some, but honestly a bowl full of tomatoes and beans and spices and more tomatoes and beef and God knows what else is pretty overwhelming. If I make chili from scratch the last thing I want to do is bake a tray of cornbread. I ate vegan chili for the longest time that chili with beef in it just seems way over-the-top. Chili is rich and satisfying as it is...adding cheese and sour cream and stuff is like gilding the lily.

And if putting some grated cheese on your chili is like gilding the lily... then eating a fuck*ng frosted Cinnabon with chili con carne poured over it just sounds like one of Ray's messy fantasies about a lady grinding pastries mercilessly beneath her nude bottom. Too much, dude, too much.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: A question vis-a-vis chili and other accompaniments
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2007, 04:03:47 pm »

Not the Chocodiles I have to try and stop myself from eating. Maybe they're different in other regions?

Just a full-on Twinkie covered in chocolate.

They were on Food Network's "Unwrapped" the other night, and that's what they were, regular Twinkies enrobed in chocolate.

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocodile
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up