Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.  (Read 11920 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« on: March 05, 2007, 05:30:54 am »

There are too many quotable lines in todays comic to pick one, but I think I have chosen the correct one.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 05:39:05 am »

oh man. would ray fall for this?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:44:10 am »

It is a good thing that gentlemen can disagree because...

"hero or fatso? [link]" is pretty much the funniest phrase to ever grace the internet.

I was greatly entertained by this strip but... not by the funny-but-kinda-rote scam-e-mail joke.

In terms of that joke, like, it is funny but has been done so many times that it has kind of lost its punch. It would be akin to making a joke about mistaking a man talking into a cell phone headset for an insane homeless gentleman...

The observation is apt, there is humour to the concept, but it has just been mentioned by so many people so many times that the familiarity breeds a certain level of comedy contempt.

No, I'm made to chuckle by the fact that Roast Beef turns out to be that one guy in the circle of friends who forwards everything he thinks is funny on the computer to everyone else and pretty much no one reads.

I should've known that guy, for them, was gonna be Beef and yet I did not. Humour ensued.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 05:50:52 am »

No, no LFM, all of Beef's e-mails are replies: He is replying to all the stuff Ray has forwarded him. Of course Ray would be that guy.

I personally like 'dancing baby turns ten - hella poignant'

My take on this: Ray may very well fall for it but a) it will be a genuine plea and he will add to his vast pile, or b) he'll dig out Mengis Adoso's number from his rolodex (they met at some fancy do and agreed they should really catch up some time over nachos and crispy stellas) and call to ask him why he didn't call Ray direct if he is in Serious Times. Adoso will be shocked at the deception and have the person who sent out the e-mails hunted down and killed for his families honour, but Ray won't realise this.
Am I straying close to fan fiction?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 05:57:16 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 05:54:35 am »

lfm-- my psych professor brought up the cell-phone/schitzo person thing in class the other day. There was an audible groan.

And then these girls started laughing hysterically.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 05:56:12 am »

Quote from: Doc
No, no LFM, all of Beef's e-mails are replies: He is replying to all the stuff Ray has forwarded him. Of course Ray would be that guy.

Ah! Even better!

Then we are talking about Beef being such a good friend/so meticulous that he replies to every goddamned idiotic forward Ray sends him. That is how not-a-crap-dude Beef is if that is the case. Now it is funny in a hell of touching way. Nice!

Quote
Am I straying close to fan fiction?

I think if we learned anything from that one troller swoopin' on in a week ago and quizzing us on the Tenmen, it's that... postulating a character's reaction to a given situation from what they have done in past fictional occurances is not fan-fiction.

It is story-math and story-math is completely fine unless, I suppose, you went completely overboard.

Which I don't think you did.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 05:59:36 am »

Then we are talking about Beef being such a good friend/so meticulous that he replies to every goddamned idiotic forward Ray sends him. That is how not-a-crap-dude Beef is if that is the case. Now it is funny in a hell of touching way. Nice!
Yeah, it's like Beef was brought up Right so he knows he must reply out of Politeness and might also try to explain to Ray how some of the more idiotic chain e-mails are probably not based on events such as ever happened, but Ray never learns and the forwards keep coming.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 06:17:09 am »

Ray all saying that yeah, Beef is right, that probably never happened. But this one did! I checked, it's legit man. It's for real.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 06:22:46 am »

So, how awesome would a song named "Gravity Train" be? I am of the inclination that it would be extremely awesome.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 06:24:24 am »

Ray all saying that yeah, Beef is right, that probably never happened. But this one did! I checked, it's legit man. It's for real.
It's on the internet.

So, how awesome would a song named "Gravity Train" be? I am of the inclination that it would be extremely awesome.

Hell of awesome.

"Baby Come and ride my...
GRAV-IT-EEE TRAIN"
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 06:35:49 am »

For me, mostly a sort of shit strip - but Beef's emails all being replies to Ray's crap forwards is pretty nice.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 06:52:36 am »

I think if we learned anything from that one troller swoopin' on in a week ago and quizzing us on the Tenmen, it's that... postulating a character's reaction to a given situation from what they have done in past fictional occurances is not fan-fiction.

It is story-math and story-math is completely fine unless, I suppose, you went completely overboard.

Which I don't think you did.

Agreed.  Fan fiction is story-numerology, so as long as you avoid that it's all good. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 06:59:21 am »

I feel like beef would also have emails that were like "hey is it OK if I come over in like 10 minutes to grab some stellas"

you know, it's not like he lives 10 seconds away.

my friend is famous for saying, TO HER ROOMMATE, "hey, can you just email [the homework] to me so that I don't have to write it down?"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 07:30:47 am »

Well, in her mild defense, it could be an issue of not being able to read her own handwriting.

Unless I write very slowly and concentrate completely, I can't read my own handwriting.

I just pretty much type everything, now, and my handwriting was crap to begin with.

It might not be sloth, it might just be understanding her situation and rolling with it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 5, 2007 - Take a hike, advice.
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 08:38:17 am »

no. she was being utterly lazy. I just remembered, I was not telling the story correctly at all.
it was the girl in the room next door. and it was "can you email it to me so I don't have to come over there?"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up