Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Post modern moments?  (Read 7325 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 04:28:52 am »

my English Composition teacher just assigned us to write... a meta-paper. We will explain, in the paper, why we are making the stylistic choices we are.

I feel that this... is crossing a line?

Maybe this can provide inspiration.  It is a story by David Moser called, "This Is the Title of This Story, Which Is Also Found Several Times in the Story Itself."
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 05:35:39 am »

Cort-- I will do this. But I might cap it off after the first book.

...I am trying to come up with a clever way to indicate the reference, but I am at a loss.

Also: to clarify, this is a secondary paper. I have to write the 15-page research paper, and then write a 1 or 2 page meta-paper explaining how I wrote it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 01:16:59 pm »

Cort-- I will do this. But I might cap it off after the first book.

...I am trying to come up with a clever way to indicate the reference, but I am at a loss.

You would be guaranteed to win your bet with Marcus. Then the two of you could coax Quincy into chewing up Paige's new shoes.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 01:55:41 pm »

Maybe this can provide inspiration.  It is a story by David Moser called, "This Is the Title of This Story, Which Is Also Found Several Times in the Story Itself."

Dang, I really need to link to a Da Vinci's Notebook song called "Title of the Song," but I can't find it on line.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 02:52:45 pm »

wait, what?

I feel like... now I am thinking of Foxtrot?

Wouldn't it be more like... I'd make Hobbes write the 2nd two books for me?

I am confused. I read too many comic strips as a kid.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 03:05:56 pm »

I just realized that I haven't had to write "An X page paper" in 9 years or so.  Life is awesome.

Writing what is needed to convey the information, and then not worrying about stretching it or cutting it is totally the way to go.  I think.

You know, I just got a job writing for actual money, and I can't go above 500 words per article. So, maybe those idiotic assignments at school that had to be a particular length were better training for real life than you realized.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 03:22:50 pm »

wait, what?

I feel like... now I am thinking of Foxtrot?

Wouldn't it be more like... I'd make Hobbes write the 2nd two books for me?

I am confused. I read too many comic strips as a kid.

It was FoxTrot. Jason bet Marcus who could write a longer paper for an assignment. Jason decided to write a 900 page essay that was a 1st-person account of what goes into writing a 900 page essay.
Logged

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 04:38:33 pm »

Dang, I really need to link to a Da Vinci's Notebook song called "Title of the Song," but I can't find it on line.
Here is a fan-made video for it. I am a big fan of the song, and the video definately better than standard youtube fare.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 05:04:12 pm »

How did you find that? God, I hate YouTube. People ought to have to include the actual band name. And don't get me started on spelling...  But thanks.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 05:33:30 pm »

hm. Um. I thought I had already posted this?
Basically, the whole Post-Modern concept is not one I am comfortable with. I read the wikipedia, and it only made things worse.

Yeah, I know. The Wikipedia article on postmodernism is kinda postmodern, which just makes everything worse.

Postmodernism 101: There is no answer. Have fun! as my friend Leslie used to say.

I don't really know what it means, though I frequently refer to myself as postmodernist. Actually, I think that might be the definition.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 06:22:12 pm »

I love youtube.
To bring this full-circle, the term paper in question is about how "Web 2.0," while being basically a fake concept, represents the fulfillment of the ideas Alvin Toffler expressed in The Third Wave vis-a-vi the "Prosumer" and decentralization of media creation. My prime example is Ze Frank and his various endeavors into user-generated content. I kind of lost the pseudo-intellectual jargon halfway through, sorry.

PS my favorite things I learned in this class:
-you can, technically, be accused of plagiarizing yourself. You can be punished for this under university rules.
-I hate intellectual property law. goddamn. I know it's hip to hate it and all, but I used to be ambivalent. Jeez, people!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 07:43:30 pm »

-you can, technically, be accused of plagiarizing yourself. You can be punished for this under university rules.

I think you just broke me.  I can't wrap my mind around this concept.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 07:55:20 pm »

I think you just broke me.  I can't wrap my mind around this concept.

I think I can explain it. Basically, in this context, "plagiarizing yourself" means doing what many college-age smartasses have done once or twice: getting a relatively open-ended essay prompt, saying "hey, I wrote something like this in high school/for 101/last semester!", and then copying big chunks out of that previous work for the "new" paper (or just handing in the old paper as new). While this is arguably a legal use of their intellectual property, it is also immensely academically dishonest and circumvents actually doing the work assigned to you, which is why colleges don't want you to do it.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 08:48:26 pm »

yeah. I mean, I can deal with being told that it's "cheating." But being told that it's plagiarism... made me want to bring on the Hate.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Post modern moments?
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 09:18:05 pm »

I am trying to figure out if this would be plagiarism in real life. I don't think so. I published a dissertation, and then I published a journal article about the same exact stuff. I think more than one article, in fact - basically two different chunks of the dissertation. And this was a totally normal thing to do - no one would have said I was plagiarizing myself. How is this different from reusing parts of an old term paper if your professor is too lazy to come up with a specific enough topic that you are forced to do new work?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up