Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Moichendising!  (Read 6665 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Moichendising!
« on: March 09, 2007, 05:50:44 am »

Damned but if I don't want a Great Outdoor Fight poster somewhere in the house my wife and I will be buying this summer. All framed up and crisp like the dickens.

And the Cartilage Head one too. But mainly the GOF one.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 06:14:59 am »

goddamn. I have 8 posters on my wall. My room next year will be less than half the size of this one.

...where will I fit one copy of every single one of those? Where will I put those posters?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 06:28:05 am »

oh god...I'm never going to have enough money to move back to Denver if I keep hemorrhaging money. Dammit, onstad, why do you have such sneaky, awesome ways to make me bust out the credit card?? AUGH.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 06:34:57 am »

Having this poster would make people unfamiliar with Achewood think that there actually was a Great Outdoor Fight in the 1940's. Even better would be telling people about the history of the Great Outdoor Fight without mentioning Achewood.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 06:47:16 am »

The best part would be getting, like, ten or fifteen minutes into the story... pitching it as though it is pretty much just a way-out-there-but-basically-believable Ultimate-Fighting-for-Weird-Northern-California-Biker-Types and...

Once you have them believing it, only then getting into the fact that the partici##### are generally talking housecats. Making DAMN SURE that they are completely believing you before you move onto that, though. That is compeltely the key.

That's pretty much what Phil Hendrie used to do on the radio. That was the entire scheme... start with something crazy but essentially possible and slowly stretch it out more and more and more and see how far people would follow you if you made with the madness gradually.

This was before the poor guy snapped, turned his show into a weird series of paranoid rants about how awful Muslims are or something... realized that people who are into radio shows where random listeners getting fooled by fake guests probably wasn't going to appeal to the "string up the heathens crowd"... half-heartedly returned to being funny, tried to get into television in the lamest way possible and then gave up on radio, basically because he couldn't get that People Who Enjoy Nuanced Satire and People Who Want to String Up Those Who Are Different are completely different audiences.

The rise and fall of Phil Hendrie was a tragedy of Wagnerian scale.

But holy shit, before he went down the path of madness that befell a lot of slightly-rich-aging-white-guys completely learning the wrong lessons from 9-11 and turning into a batshit loon, he was pretty much the funniest thing ever.

I am... sorry for changing the subject.

But I fuck*ng MOURN Phil Hendrie. The real Phil Hendrie. Before he became more Clear Channel than man. Twisted and e-vil.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 06:54:12 am »

The best part would be getting, like, ten or fifteen minutes into the story... pitching it as though it is pretty much just a way-out-there-but-basically-believable Ultimate-Fighting-for-Weird-Northern-California-Biker-Types and...

Once you have them believing it, only then getting into the fact that the partici****** are generally talking housecats. Making DAMN SURE that they are completely believing you before you move onto that, though. That is compeltely the key.


Are you really my brother in disguise? Because this is what he does on a daily basis. And I fall for it every time. Every time.

I wonder what Phil Hendrie's leitmotif would be.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 06:56:38 am »

My brother does this, too.

But, for me, it works the opposite way. I pretty much just don't believe anything he says.

You should try this technique. It is pretty rad.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 03:45:50 pm »

The first time I ever managed to do that on a scale I was proud of was when I was a freshman in college and a girl I was talking to mentioned that the phrase 'getting off scot free" was a strange phrase. I then invented, on the spot, an ad-hoc etymology of the phrase involving the English taking over Scotland and its castles, only to find that the Scots had been using secret entrances, etc. to get in and steal their supplies. The English were baffled at how the Scots were able to do this and get away unseen, and that then turned into the phrase "free as a Scot," and thus, "scot free."

Since then, I manage to do that sort of thing to my wife so often that she's starting to take the LFM approach of not believing any damn thing I say.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 04:23:01 pm »

Since then, I manage to do that sort of thing to my wife so often that she's starting to take the LFM approach of not believing any damn thing I say.

I do this too, and it has hella backfired.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 04:37:46 pm »

yeah, I do that to my friend who lives across the hall constantly.

...she always believes it. She should be glad that I use this power for good and not evil.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 04:43:46 pm »

You're always far better off leaving it a week or so before you reveal your deception. Give your dear friend time to astound everyone they know with their latest titbit.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 04:49:05 pm »

You're always far better off leaving it a week or so before you reveal your deception. Give your dear friend time to astound everyone they know with their latest titbit.

Well, this would only be a good idea for me if I was interested in trying divorce again. I've pretty much run divorce through its paces, and it turns out it ain't for me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 05:02:18 pm »

Before marriage, I tried this on Spouse and she started doing it right back.

One of the ways I knew she was the one.

The power of deception and guile is strong in that one...
Logged
We must repeat!

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 05:10:45 pm »

You're always far better off leaving it a week or so before you reveal your deception. Give your dear friend time to astound everyone they know with their latest titbit.

Like that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine believed that the original title for War & Peace was War: What Is It Good For?, and then busts it out in a conversation with a Russian novelist.  Also from that episode, George telling someone he was a marine biologist, that octopi used to have nostrils, and then having to pull a golfball from a whale's blowhole.

They lead to some wacky stuff, these misunderstandings do.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 05:21:51 pm »

man, what a show that was.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up