Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Moichendising!  (Read 6661 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc Benway

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 22
  • That's right Stouffer, you help!
    • View Profile
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 08:00:20 pm »

Also from that episode, George telling someone he was a marine biologist, that octopi used to have nostrils
But, for me, it works the opposite way. I pretty much just don't believe anything he says.

I know a guy who claims that Octopuses (Octopi?) can solve rubik's (Rubick's) cubes. I have trouble believing anything he tells me now. He also maintains The Cure aren't a goth band, and that Jethro Tull are a good band.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 08:12:08 pm »

I know a guy who claims that Octopuses (Octopi?) can solve rubik's (Rubick's) cubes. I have trouble believing anything he tells me now. He also maintains The Cure aren't a goth band, and that Jethro Tull are a good band.

Octopodes is technically correct if you want to get crazy anal about it (and who on this board doesn't, other than LFM) but both puses and pi are acceptable.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 08:18:29 pm »

That is an entertaining lie. An octopus might be able to turn the parts of the cube, though, even though it can't understand the puzzle. I wonder if I can find one to test it before I quit my job. Do they even still sell Rubik's cubes?

I am sure I linked elsewhere to the explanation of why 'octopi' is strictly speaking incorrect but I am too tired to care. It is an interesting explanation but as far as I am concerned you can pluralize any fuck*ing way you want.

I was going to say something about the topic of this thread but now I forget what it was, so I will repeat: Everyone should buy the cookbook.  And the apron is excellent.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 08:20:15 pm »

Can octopen even see colors?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc Benway

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 22
  • That's right Stouffer, you help!
    • View Profile
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 08:23:55 pm »

Can octopen even see colors?

Not according to wikipedia, they can see different polarizations of light but can't see why that would help. For me, the main issue is one of motivation; why in the name of all that is holy would an octopus WANT to solve a rubik's cube? Also, I should clarify - It is this dude's sincere belief that an octopus can solve a rubik's cube, I questioned him on it once and it was like I had insulted his religion! Also, the GOF poster is awesome, if only i had somewhere to put up a poster...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 08:27:08 pm by Doc Benway »
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 08:38:21 pm »

Octopets can open jars and do fairly complicated things involving tank breaking-and-entering; I suspect there is at least one out there who could solve a Rubik's cube given a properly labeled one and some motivation to achieve this task.

(I think I'm going to just start inventing a new plural of "octopus" every time I have to pluralize it.)
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2007, 09:08:48 pm »

For me, the main issue is one of motivation; why in the name of all that is holy would an octopus WANT to solve a rubik's cube?

The same might be asked of humans.

Of course, I'm talking out of my ass here.  I love pointless puzzles (although for whatever reason, Rubik's cubes don't hold any fascination for me), as long as they're sufficiently intriguing.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 09:38:54 pm »

It is a defining characteristic that octopix enjoy puzzles.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2007, 09:49:35 pm »

It is a defining characteristic that octopix enjoy puzzles.

Octopuves are considered to be very intelligent.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 10:17:10 pm »

Octoply are also very tasty.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 10:23:08 pm »

Octopice get a bad rap from the whole hentai/tentacle rape porn deal, in my opinion.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 10:26:53 pm »

Octopunks!

I really would like to buy every single one of those posters.  Especially cartilage  head, and ray's high escapades.

But we can't let this thread get back on track, now can we.  As for the tall-tale creation, I generally have gone the opposite way -- someone asks about a book or a movie, or how my day was, or anything really, and somehow it starts of with either something to do with the moon, or having sandwiches, though usually it is sandwiches on the moon.  This way, as long as I keep my tales from involving space travel, people will believe I am telling the truth for once.
Logged
~

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 10:54:10 pm »

both puses and pi are acceptable.

Truer words have NEVER been spoken.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2007, 12:13:18 am »

I figure we just treat the problem like we treat mice and mazes. With enough electric shocks and cheese those octopez will do anything.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Moichendising!
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2007, 12:13:44 am »

Octopeese maintain gardens.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up