Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What's a good drink to drink while writing?  (Read 7727 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 10:13:39 pm »

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking last night, but as far as a novel goes, none of my suggestions are a good idea.  Drugs might inspire an ingenious short story but a novel is something else.

From what myths and movies have taught me, absinthe is the drink of choice of any good artist.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 10:16:01 pm »

There's always the Algonquin Martini, well in keeping with the literary theme. Please note that there is not a specific recipe listed, but the one I heard was:

1 measure gin
1 measure vodka
1 measure white wine

Drink up!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 11:33:52 pm »

That sounds absolutely wretched.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 12:14:48 am »

A co-worker of mine (an IT gal) drank them on the plane-ride home last hitch. She seemed to enjoy them, but then again, she's British.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 12:20:43 am »

Wasn't it Douglas Adams who wrote something about the British seeking atonement through eating British food?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 02:31:13 am »

Wasn't it Douglas Adams who wrote something about the British seeking atonement through eating British food?

Herein lies the reason* I pretend not to be.

*One of them
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 03:09:38 am »

Absinthe is the absolute worst concoction on the planet. All horrible tasting with no drug effects and a horrible hangover.
My suggestion is Jaeggermeister. The herbs provide a floating stream of thoughts suitable for writing. Not suitable for being around old people.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 03:25:26 am »

I am a vegetarian who loves Jagger, but they put a ceremonial drop of Elks blood in there, so I can't drink it.

Also, my general writing style is this:  Marinade on it for about 3 days to a week, while going through my normal routine (lots of smoking, a little drinking).  Then, spend however long it takes making detailed outlines, getting everything in order, etc.  Then, just sit on like 2 bowls throughout the night while writing.  The ideas really come together for me following this method. 

If it is songs, then it will come to me in perfect order, I won't be able to write anything at the time, and I will end up with lyrics that are essentially about the same thing but completely out of place.  For this I leave it alone for a while and try to work it out in about 2 weeks.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 03:29:00 am »

I am a vegetarian who loves Jagger, but they put a ceremonial drop of Elks blood in there, so I can't drink it.


That is urban legend of the poorest reputation. Drink up my vegetable loving friend!
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 03:39:01 am »

I feel like such an idiot. 


Wikipedia backs you up.  Thanks alot for this, I may have a jager and red bull (it has been so long I can't even remember what they are called; blasters?) within the hour.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 03:46:03 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2007, 04:03:37 am »

Wikipedia backs you up.  Thanks alot for this, I may have a jager and red bull (it has been so long I can't even remember what they are called; blasters?) within the hour.

I like you, but that's not good drinking.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 05:10:22 am »

sweet baby Jesus, jaeger is the worst swill ever. I'd rather chug NyQuil. *shudder*

A bunch of my friends back home used to love Red Bull and Jaeger... but ew. Hell of nasty. Paradoxically, I get super, super-tired when I drink those. Then again I get really irritable if I drink coffee or heaven forbid, espresso.
Logged

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2007, 05:25:19 am »

Pastis!

There is nothing better, in my opinion, for loosening up and getting the good vibes going. I'm somehow spiritually attached to Provence, though, so that may have something to do with it.

Typically, my writing/drinking interface works thusly:

Idea/outline phase: pastis
First draft: pastis and/or red wine (but not together!)
First read through of first draft: pastis and/or sparkling water (but not together)
First revision: Coffee
Subsequent revisions: tea or pastis, sometimes coffee or red wine depending on what I hope to accomplish with a particular go-round
Editing: sparkling water or coffee
Proofreading: tea

Alternatively, a kir royale will carry me through just about anything. It makes anything into an elegant celebration.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2007, 05:58:48 am »

come on people... even I can enjoy Jager. After the first time I drank it, I had scary dreams for weeks about finding more and drinking it in a really unhealthy manner (ie, just downing the whole bottle. which is unrealistic, obviously.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2007, 11:26:58 am »

sweet baby Jesus, jaeger is the worst swill ever. I'd rather chug NyQuil. *shudder*

A bunch of my friends back home used to love Red Bull and Jaeger... but ew. Hell of nasty. Paradoxically, I get super, super-tired when I drink those. Then again I get really irritable if I drink coffee or heaven forbid, espresso.

*sings*
NyQuil NyQuil NyQuil, big green fuck*ng Q!

I am amazed by the idea that anyone would mix anything with Red Bull. Even the idea of Red Bull and Vodka is like cough-syrup with the wrong kind of jolt. Plus, drinking is bad enough, I don't need to hallucinate while doing so!

(Also, people are right, Jäger is fuck*ng nasty! I can't decide if it was that or the vodka that tried to kill me on my friend's stag night.)
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up