Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What's a good drink to drink while writing?  (Read 7700 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2007, 03:34:34 pm »

You could try what they drink here at work when they won't to get off, as alcohol is forbidden: The Green Lizard! NyQuil and 7up. I personally think you get more bang for your buck if you do NyQuil shooters, which are half NyQuil and half Listerine.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2007, 03:39:39 pm »

Wow, revolting.

So you have internet access at work now?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2007, 03:51:16 pm »

Jager is a one-way train ticket to either Vomit Junction or Sleeping-With-Someone-Regrettable County.

I am a fan of Green Demon, vodka in which weed has been warmed and steeped for a number of weeks. Done properly, pretty much the best way to get every drip of usefulness out of your leaf and other various shake.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2007, 04:02:42 pm »

Wow, revolting.

So you have internet access at work now?
Well, there's always been internet access here, it's just that sometimes I am filling in for three people at once, which cuts into my fuckin' around time. This hitch I am filling in for two people; that is to say, I am doing my job and one other. However, I am kind of feeling a little shitty toward work at present, so I decided I would take my part out in trade and access the internet when I should actually be working.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2007, 08:54:22 pm »

*sings*
NyQuil NyQuil NyQuil, big green fuck*ng Q!

I am amazed by the idea that anyone would mix anything with Red Bull. Even the idea of Red Bull and Vodka is like cough-syrup with the wrong kind of jolt. Plus, drinking is bad enough, I don't need to hallucinate while doing so!

(Also, people are right, Jäger is fuck*ng nasty! I can't decide if it was that or the vodka that tried to kill me on my friend's stag night.)

Heh.. I love Dennis Leary. "What they SHOULD put on the bottle is, 'Don't make any fuckin' plans!'"

And isn't that totally weird about the dry villages or work camps? There are some villages where you can't even get vanilla extract sent to you. But I always thought they put rubbing alcohol in Listerine so you couldn't drink it?

Incidentally, my ex used to have his friends ship him contraband while he was deployed in Iraq where alcohol was also forbidden...Playboy and plastic Mountain Dew bottles drained and filled back up with hooch.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2007, 09:17:03 pm »

I have never done the (what we call) Green Dragon.  It seems like a good idea, but I like to get stoned, then get really drunk, then get high again after I quit drinking.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2007, 09:18:55 pm »

I have never done the (what we call) Green Dragon.  It seems like a good idea, but I like to get stoned, then get really drunk, then get high again after I quit drinking.

I like a man with his priorities in order.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2007, 10:50:55 pm »

I am more a man who has been drunk, smoked, and got the spins one too many times.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2007, 02:06:37 am »

Absinthe is the absolute worst concoction on the planet. All horrible tasting with no drug effects and a horrible hangover.

That is simply not true.  A good absinthe has as complex a bouquet as a fine wine.  Provided you like aniseed drinks, it is heavenly.  The problem is that a great many "absinthe" products (often spelled without the "-e") are really no more than 140-proof Scope with wormwood extract mixed in.  There's no difference in price between the two, either - you have to do your homework before you buy anything.

Absinthe is pretty strong for writing, but if it's properly diluted and you drink it sip-by-sip (and I doubt you would be tempted to do otherwise) it could be good if you need inspiration.  You could substitute it for pastis where Muse recommends drinking that, as they are very similar drinks.  The only thing to watch out for is that the lucid feeling it produces masks the effects of the alcohol, but wears off much sooner, making it easy to have too much by mistake and become ridiculously drunk very suddenly.

Also, please never do that thing where they set fire to the sugar and/or absinthe before drinking it - that's just a gimmick invented by some dudes in Czechoslovakia back in the '80s.  It is about the closest thing possible to a Hunt's move that would have existed during the Belle Époque.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 02:14:10 am by iron_felix »
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2007, 05:01:08 am »

I planted some wormwood (a.k.a. artemesia, in my opinion a much prettier name) early last spring.  It's doing well (or was as of last fall) and is a pretty plant.  I suppose I could steep it in some Everclear and make my own, but I don't have much interest in that.  I like the plant and I doubt the buzz would compare to some I've had.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2007, 06:09:47 am »

I have had both the homemade and the real deal from a friend's trip to europe. Both tasted equally disgusting but the homemade version was stronger because it was basically everclear with hell of herbs and wormwood. The real deal tasted so bitter that I had to chase it with super-strength sugary Gatorade. With both events there were Zero non-alcohol effects and gave me a hangover Id rather have never had.

Maybe it effects different people in different ways but this dude does not miss absinthe.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2007, 08:00:02 am »

I am a fan of Green Demon, vodka in which weed has been warmed and steeped for a number of weeks. Done properly, pretty much the best way to get every drip of usefulness out of your leaf and other various shake.

Oh I don't know about that.  I was toasted for three days and all I did was lick the spoon.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2007, 10:41:46 am »

Are those pot fruity pebble crisps? 

wow.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2007, 02:38:40 pm »

But I always thought they put rubbing alcohol in Listerine so you couldn't drink it?

There are a lot of places up here where you can only get mouthwash that is denatured (I believe that's the word). But real Listerine just has regular old alcohol in it. In Anchorage most places won't sell you mouthwash in quantity - even if you tell them you have a bad case of Yuck Mouth.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2007, 12:56:15 am »

The internet ate my first post about this, and I don't want to type everything out all over again, but this FAQ should explain everything re: absinthe better than I can anyway.  I hope this will clear things up somewhat.

That is all.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up