Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's a good drink to drink while writing?  (Read 7686 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2007, 01:31:44 am »

This makes me want a pastis, and we don't have any in the house. :-(

This also makes me want to try absinthe. I almost bought some last time I was in France but since I was there as the supervising chaperone on a school trip, I thought getting caught bringing "contraband" into the country would make my students' parents upset. :-)

I have never heard of the "light the sugar on fire" ritual. It sounds horrible. I'm glad that's not really a part of the drink, and something only philistines would do. I have heard of the water through the perforated sugar spoon thing, though, which sounds reasonable. I thought this was the way "everybody" drank their absinthe but now that I'm reading that absinthe pretty much tastes like any anise liqueur out there (albeit with subtle nuances of flavor, to be sure), I can't imagine adding sugar to it. I drink my pastis with just ice water and it's usually right on the border of being too sweet for me as it is. Considering that pastis was invented to keep the Pernod distillery in business after absinthe was banned in France, I'm guessing the taste is pretty similar, in which case, yuck. Adding sugar to it sounds horrible.

That does it: tomorrow on my way home from work I'm picking up a bottle of pastis. This thread has really made me want some.

I may be spending some time in Spain this summer. If I do, I'll see about picking up a bottle of absinthe. Felix, since you seem to be expert on such things, do you have any recommendations for how to find a good one?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 02:06:49 am by Muse_Of_Fire »
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2007, 02:05:25 am »

(What the?!?!? Gremlins double-posting my posts? Sorry, everyone. Clearly the forum has a biological interface error. Please drive through. Mods feel free to delete if you see fit. I'm dumb.)

Mua ha ha... nothing to see here! (All this talk of hooch is making all y'all see double)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 02:08:36 am by Muse_Of_Fire »
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2007, 10:38:38 am »

Adding sugar to it sounds horrible.


I wish I'd at least tried that. I am  not really a fan of aniseed, and couldn't stand the taste of absinthe, pernod, any of the aniseed drinks. Not to say I don't get through enough star anise mind!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2007, 06:33:05 am »

I may be spending some time in Spain this summer. If I do, I'll see about picking up a bottle of absinthe. Felix, since you seem to be expert on such things, do you have any recommendations for how to find a good one?

In what part of the country will you be staying?  I bought my first absinthe when I was in Barcelona.  Here's the address of the store:

La Cava de los Faros

Plaza Universitat, 5
08001 de Barcelona
Tel: 933-425145

The name is a pun on a local variety of sparkling white wine.  They have a website, too.  They sell 5cl bottles of a lot of their drinks, so you can sample different labels without spending too much money, and you will be able to buy spoons and other related paraphernalia from them as well.

Most of the Spanish absentas go pretty heavy on the anise and have a less complex flavor, but I have had Mari Mayans before and it is pretty good for someone just starting out.  Deva is supposed to be similar, but I've never tried it.  Serpis Absinth looks like something you ought to avoid at all costs, but if you can get over the red color it's actually quite decent.  That's about all I can tell you from my own experience.  I'd look up any other labels you find before buying them to see what other people have to say.

Theoretically, the very best absinthes are those made before the 1915 ban, which are still drinkable if you can get hold of one.  Interestingly, because absinthe's green color comes from chlorophyll, really old absinthes turn brown with age, but still louche to the same shade of pale green when diluted.  Of course, these are completely outside any normal person's price range.  The next best thing comes from Jade Liqueurs, which recreates pre-ban absinthes from chemical samples and the original recipes from Pernod and other contemporary distilleries.  Their stuff is still pretty expensive, though.

If you fly on Virgin Atlantic, you can buy La Fée Absinthe from their in-flight catalogue, but it's grossly overpriced.  I bought some on my way back from Spain just so I could say that I did, but I haven't opened the bottle yet so I can't tell you how good it really is.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2007, 08:22:08 am »

Are those pot fruity pebble crisps?

I'm not at liberty to say.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2007, 01:46:48 pm »

I'm not at liberty to say.

You are lucky you are at liberty at all with your debauched lifestyle.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good drink to drink while writing?
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2007, 09:02:04 pm »

You are lucky you are at liberty at all with your debauched lifestyle.

Touche
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up