Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night  (Read 7514 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 10:52:14 am »

Also, A-CAP, he spends part of the year in northern Alaska where stuff is built in large complexes because of the astronomical building costs and energy costs.

Don't you mean "because it's so fuck*ng cold that no one wants to have to go outside between their office and their bedroom"?

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 02:09:15 pm »

Don't you mean "because it's so fuck*ng cold that no one wants to have to go outside between their office and their bedroom"?


Ha ha! It's actually a little of both. However, lots of people up here have to spend significant portions of their day outside. Today it is -31 ambient, with a crisp 21 mph breeze, bringing us to a wind chill of -61! The coldest day I ever actually worked outside up here was -55 ambient, wind chill of -125. That day sucked.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 07:38:01 pm »

I feel like... that was a bad idea. the going outside. When it was -70 with wind chill in Chicago, they canceled school. They didn't want us waiting outside for buses-- we would have gotten frostbite within minutes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 08:40:02 pm »

I feel like... that was a bad idea. the going outside. When it was -70 with wind chill in Chicago, they canceled school. They didn't want us waiting outside for buses-- we would have gotten frostbite within minutes.

Yeah... at those temperatures, and also the ones Nabu was mentioning, any exposed flesh will freeze within minutes. With the wind chill as high as Nabu mentioned, it can be within seconds. I don't have any idea how the fuck you would go outside, except maybe immersed in a polar suit with a mighty balaclava and goggles to cover your eyes and surrounding skin.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 09:34:28 pm »

Get you one of these parkas and a pair of these bibs. And this liner. Get a pair of these boots, too - comfortable to 148 degrees below zero! Also, a neoprene facemask that covers all exposed skin (sometimes duct tape is applied around the edges) and a pair of goggles. These will fog up immediately, significantly reducing the amount of time you will spend outside. So that will help keep you from freezing to death.

I once had a guy helping me on a location, and we were talking outside and I saw his face starting to get kind of red, and I told him to go inside and warm up. He told me he was ok, and I said "no, go inside now" and as I was speaking I watched as this chalky white patch just grew right across one of his cheeks - just like frost grew right across it. The whole side of his face got bit. It was rough.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 10:04:39 pm »

aside from your boots (we dont wear steel toes as they can collapse and slice your toes off) and the fur on your jacket your gear is essentially what i wear to fight fires. I didnt know nomex is so popular in the sub-freezing community as it is in the fire fighting community.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 11:47:49 pm »

Well, it's only popular because sometimes things up here explode.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 01:36:57 am »

and a pair of these bibs.

Hey, it's Dwight Shrute's little brother!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 03:49:50 am »

aside from your boots (we dont wear steel toes as they can collapse and slice your toes off) and the fur on your jacket your gear is essentially what i wear to fight fires. I didnt know nomex is so popular in the sub-freezing community as it is in the fire fighting community.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, A-CAP! Since when are you a firefighter? I thought you were like a disgruntled coke-addled 19-year-old college freshman with a penchant for Libertarians?
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 04:00:20 am »

Whoa, whoa, whoa, A-CAP! Since when are you a firefighter? I thought you were like a disgruntled coke-addled 19-year-old college freshman with a penchant for Libertarians?

1. Coke addicted? When did I give that impression?
2. Freshman? Im 2 semesters from a diploma.
3. Libertarian? I'm an anarcho-capitalist (click the link in my profile to see what that means)

And I was a firefighter in Virginia for the past 2 years before I came to A-CAP and Ill be joining again after this semester.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 04:01:30 am »

Quote from: linnea
Whoa, whoa, whoa, A-CAP! Since when are you a firefighter? I thought you were like a disgruntled coke-addled 19-year-old college freshman with a penchant for Libertarians?

Yeah, I would've pegged him as one of those people who protests fire stations because they're paid by tax dollars and thinks that they should be privatized and subtracted to Allahburton and only put out fires for rich folks.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 04:06:50 am »

Yeah, I would've pegged him as one of those people who protests fire stations because they're paid by tax dollars and thinks that they should be privatized and subtracted to Allahburton and only put out fires for rich folks.

Nah. I'm a volunteer firefighter because I get satisfaction from saving lives and property. Also if government is going to steal my money at gun point they might as well use it for public goods such as fire protection. (That is not to say of course that government does a better job at firefighting than a private profit seeking firm would be. I do get satisfaction from saving lives and property but Id expect a decrease in response times if there was a profit incentive for doing so...)
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 04:15:11 am »

Quote from: A-CAP
anarcho-capitalist

I briefly misread this and imagined giant spiders roaming the Earth charging huge interest on loans.

Again, to avoid A Big Unending Internet Argument, I won't get into how anarchy and large-scale capitalism seem pretty much seem mutually exclusive (at least in their end games) but I will simply say that giant spiders and large-scale capitalism would probably go together smashingly.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 04:17:09 am »

Arachno-Capitalism? Now thats something I can get behind!
::new personal text::
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:20:23 am by NYU »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 04:23:11 am »

Sir, I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter...

:)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up