Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night  (Read 7528 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2007, 04:23:29 am »

Holy shit, dude. Just when I thought that you are the antithesis of everything for which I stand...and you're a volunteer firefighter too?? Weird. I agree with lfm, I figured that you would rail against fire protection as evil government subsidies for the poor and weak, and that if they weren't morally inferior then they wouldn't choose to live in crowded tenement firetraps.

I became a Firefighter-1 in the state of Alaska in early 2005. Our service is mostly volunteer with 4 paid staff. I just got certified as an EMT-II in November 2006.

But your suggestion about decreasing response times... WTF? Become a paid firefighter, then. If you ain't man enough to be roused to full badass capacity when the tone goes out that there's a fire, then no amount of money is gonna pull your mollycoddled ass into those bunkers fast enough or whittle down that response time one iota. That's just crass. Way to get pure satisfaction out of helping your fellow humans.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:30:02 am by linnea »
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2007, 04:37:03 am »

But your suggestion about decreasing response times... WTF? Become a paid firefighter, then. If you ain't man enough to be roused to full badass capacity when the tone goes out that there's a fire, then no amount of money is gonna pull your mollycoddled ass into those bunkers fast enough or whittle down that response time one iota. That's just crass. Way to get pure satisfaction out of helping your fellow humans.

Believe what we will about the good graces of volunteer firefighters - I have found concretely that when it gets closer to house elections for line officers that those who plan on running dramatically cut their response times and increase their response rates. These people were presented with a perceived incentive and responded.
Ask a group of medical students why they want to become doctors and many will respond "To help people". Then ask them if they would still be in medical school if doctors were paid the same as say public school teachers. You'll find that suddenly there much fewer students willing "to help people".
If I was sober and within range of the station I responded as swiftly and safely as possible to the call and usually made first out apparatus.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2007, 04:40:45 am »

You know who loves volunteer firemen? 

Kurt Vonnegut, that's who.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2007, 07:01:32 am »

You know who loves volunteer firemen firefighters? 

Kurt Vonnegut, that's who.

Fixed that for you since it's my thread, and I ain't a fireman. God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.

Also, AW is still pissed about the Kentuckians/Yokel comment I made.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2007, 07:09:50 am »

Watch how Linnea's avatar cats open their mouths. It's kind of gross.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2007, 02:07:26 pm »

I thought they were mutant loaves of bread
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2007, 02:50:32 pm »

Fixed that for you since it's my thread, and I ain't a fireman. God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.

I knew I'd get called out on that, but I think KV used the term firemen back in the day.  I would never accuse you of being anything so low and vulgar as a man.
Quote
Also, AW is still pissed about the Kentuckians/Yokel comment I made.

Nah, you're forgiven.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2007, 02:52:11 pm »

aside from your boots (we dont wear steel toes as they can collapse and slice your toes off)

You know that's a myth, right?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2007, 03:07:39 pm »

You know that's a myth, right?

It sounded giraffey when they told us that. Makes sense to me that it would be a myth. For me I guess its a psychological aversion to a red hot piece of metal a tenth of an inch from my little toes. And that if that hot piece of metal were to collapse it would me much harder to unbend it than it was to bend it.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2007, 03:10:15 pm »

goddamn, I love the internet so much. The information out there is... goddamn.

people, today I have learned:
-why "kosher" pickles are called that (hint: not because they're kosher)
and thus:
why "kosher" salt is called that (again, not because it's kosher)
and thus:
why the ocean is salty
and thus
why the ocean is blue (I kind of already knew, but I read it anyway.)

and now:
steel-toed boots won't cut off your toes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2007, 04:03:26 pm »

I left the steel-toed boot thing unmolested, because sometimes it's just not worth disabusing someone of a wrong-headed notion.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2007, 06:23:19 pm »

Had a forklift run over one of my feet a while back. The steel toe saved all of my toes except for the pinky, which was back just enough to be outside the toe and thus get smashed all sorts of spectacular dickens.

The lesson is: steel toes won't collapse, but you sure should wear the proper size.
Logged
We must repeat!

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2007, 07:50:59 pm »

The lesson is: steel toes won't collapse, but you sure should wear the proper size.

Can'd for learning the hard way, 'cause as we all know, a tiny can of filthy soda makes up for the lost toe...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: two malingerers called for an ambulance in the same night
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2007, 08:02:51 pm »

Had a forklift run over one of my feet a while back. The steel toe saved all of my toes except for the pinky, which was back just enough to be outside the toe and thus get smashed all sorts of spectacular dickens.

The lesson is: steel toes won't collapse, but you sure should wear the proper size.

Some folks will never lose a toe
And then again some folk'll...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up