Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Daylight's Saving of Time  (Read 18302 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Daylight's Saving of Time
« on: March 11, 2007, 11:37:04 am »

Fuck it, I ain't touching the clock.


Joke/image credit to someone else
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 12:13:41 pm »

I live in the only state in my country that doesn't do daylight savings. People worry that the extra light will fade the curtains and the cows will get confused as to when come in.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 06:09:01 pm »

It's always dark here so who gives a shit. We just randomly change the clock 20 minutes or 3 hours back or forward every few weeks.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 08:26:14 pm »

Joke/image credit to someone else

I'm confused.  Is the joke about "time running out" or something like that, or did somebody use the clock to squash a tarantula?

We don't celebrate daylight savings time in Arizona, either.  We only started doing Martin Luther King Day a few years back - I guess we haven't quite moved on to March holidays yet.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 08:39:55 pm »

We don't celebrate daylight savings time in Arizona, either.

A can for the prospect of celebrating DST.
I hate it, to be honest, fuck*ng farmers. It does nothign to help with my S.A.D., and isn't any use since we don't have any farmers left anymore... That said, do we what, gain an hour this time? I can never remember, but I like the extra hour either in bed or to get things done. Our's isn't for another fortnight yet though, I thought I'd missed something vaguely important. What with my clocks changing themselves and all, it's too easy for me to just not notice it happening.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 08:54:32 pm »

yeah, i celebrated the day by being real confused, not getting home until 4:50 PM, etc.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 09:07:38 pm »

I was still awake when the change happened.  I was closing stuff down for the night and reading late-night email and suddenly it went from "just after 2" to "holy crap it's almost 4" and it took me several minutes to figure out what happened to that hour.

These three weeks are supposed to save us some hugely insane amount of money on energy, but I don't see how.  I'm just glad I can leave the office while it's still light out.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 09:33:24 pm »

yeah... slink, our federal government voted to move it up by four weeks, which is why ours happens before yours does. Apparently it was calculated to save money and energy.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 09:40:31 pm »

IIRC farmers hate DST. They go by the animals and the sun which don't care what time it is.

It saves energy because when you walk in the door after coming home from work you can leave the lights off for an hour as opposed to switching them on the instant you walk in the door. We don't use it year-round because then it stays dark too long in the morning and kids have to wait for the school bus with flashlights.
Logged

Terry

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11
  • Who, who is it?
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 11:14:30 pm »

We don't use it year-round because then it stays dark too long in the morning and kids have to wait for the school bus with flashlights.

For reasons beyond my explanation, when I was kid I fervently, desperately wished that I'd have to wait in the dark for the schoolbus, or have lessons at school when it was dark. Is this universal? Please tell me it is.
Logged
I can't remember if I cried, when I read about his widowed bride. But something touched me deep inside, the day the music died... OR DID IT?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 11:50:28 pm »

This is because natural light is terrible.

You can't control it, it controls you.

If I had the money and lived with people who were as sane about light as I am, I would live in a house with no windows. Of course, I've always been prone to sun-induced migranes.

The one time I worked on a set in Orange County, I had to wear shaded goggles over prescription shades around noontime. It was a pretty bad scene.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 11:57:19 pm »

For reasons beyond my explanation, when I was kid I fervently, desperately wished that I'd have to wait in the dark for the schoolbus, or have lessons at school when it was dark. Is this universal? Please tell me it is.

Perhaps when I was a kid, and felt all anti-the-sun. Now I just am sick of going to work in the dark, coming home in the dark and well, just generally not getting any natural light for a good 3 or 4 months. It's not like we live in the Arctic Circle fuckdamnit, it's not supposed to be like that for us!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 11:59:08 pm »

It's not like we live in the Arctic Circle fuckdamnit, it's not supposed to be like that for us!

Some of us, anyway. Quit marginalising me, goddamn it.

see how I did that?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 12:13:48 am »

Some of us, anyway. Quit marginalising me, goddamn it.

see how I did that?

Living with reduced daylight is awful, I cannot imagine living in Deadhoss or Barrow where the sun disappears for months at a time. I'm far enough south that we get a little daylight even in the darkest months. It isn't daylight like people in the Lower 48 think of daylight, the sky turns a little grey instead of black, but in Alaska we have to take what we can get.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 12:19:03 am »

HATE.

It is so crazy stupid to change the clocks. I am so tired that I am delirious. Not only did I lose an hour of sleep last night but I was already several hours behind due to tossing and turning about the job situation all week.  And to make matters worse I went to bed later than usual because a friend called to hear about said job situation, and there aren't that many people in the world who will listen to you whine about such for an hour so you don't hang up on them.

And then I had to get up and be at work at what my body insisted was 7.30 in the morning.

Bad week in my life for the time to change. HATE HATE HATE the universe for not ADEQUATELY REVOLVING AROUND MY CONVENIENCE.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up