Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Daylight's Saving of Time  (Read 18300 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 12:50:09 am »

Living with reduced daylight is awful, I cannot imagine living in Deadhoss or Barrow where the sun disappears for months at a time. I'm far enough south that we get a little daylight even in the darkest months. It isn't daylight like people in the Lower 48 think of daylight, the sky turns a little grey instead of black, but in Alaska we have to take what we can get.

When I was a kid in Alaska, I would regularly meet kids from Barrow at camp and such, and they were universally crazy as a shithouse rat. I mean, so crazy that even at an art camp populated by weird kids/teenagers, they crossed the line from "enjoyably eccentric" to "... holy shit." I will defend to the death the livability of most of Alaska, but Barrow makes you go mad.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 01:36:30 am »

Barrow's sort of just down the block from here. Wombles, I am sending you pure unadulterated love and extra hugs to get you through this difficult time.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 01:45:00 am »

Aw thanks. Maybe I'll just think of that and skip trying the NyQuil and 7UP to get to sleep then....
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 02:14:43 am »

I hate losing the hour, but I like being tricked into thinking it's lighter later. I love it in the fall when we get an extra hour in the day. So nice! Re: daylight--I MUST have it. And in ridiculous amounts. I should be living in a glass house on the equator, really. I am utterly solar-powered, and the longer I have to go without sunlight, the more time I spend lying on the couch, imagining myself drowning.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 02:45:09 am »

I hate losing the hour,

Remember, you only lose the hour if you die before we fall back.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 03:02:28 am »

True, Nabu. So true.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 03:10:49 am »

I just spleep late on this occasion every year.  I mean, I usually sleep late on weekends anyhow, but on Spring Forward day I sleep a little later than usual.  HOORAY!

I'm pretty neutral on the whole issue.  I'm just glad the sun is coming back and I can spend time outside.  Spent the whole afternoon working in the yard and both my body and my psyche feel better than they have in weeks.  Woot.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 03:29:15 am »

I wish that I lived someplace warm right about now. Or at least someplace with a sauna.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 04:10:40 am »

It is supposed to be in the low 80's by mid-week here. Blegh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 06:19:30 am »

I'm confused.  Is the joke about "time running out" or something like that, or did somebody use the clock to squash a tarantula?

Hmm, good question, actually.

I figured since an enormous arthropod seems to have crawled behind the clock and died, it's better to just leave it on the wall than to change the time and discover what is underneath.  It's funny because you can picture yourself making the same choice in the scenario, and it is comically summed up with profanity and improper grammar.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 09:32:42 am »

You guys so nearly got me to change my clock in a panic even though we don't switch until the last Sunday of the month here. I think that's a sign that I'm really not fit to cope with the time jumping about all over the place.

Especially as my clock changes itself automagically.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 01:40:31 pm »

It was calculated to save energy back in World War I and again in World II to save coal for times of war. The thing is that no one has ever saved a damn lump of coal and it has never been proven to reach any of its intended benefits. The only people who win out here are golfers... And I am damn hell a golfer so I'm not complaining.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007, 02:20:15 pm »

The candy manufacturers lobbied hard for the change to have daylight time end later in the year. They think that they will sell more candy at Halloween if there is more daylight for kids to go trick or treating.

This doesn't make sense to me because what is the point of trick or treating in scary costumes in the daytime? I think we are meddling with tradition in an ominous way, here.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007, 02:48:46 pm »

I am so pissed off. 

To celebrate daylight's savings time someone vandalized my SO and I's cars with a steel garbage can.  They tried to smash in my rear window, resulting in many scratches right down to bare steel, and then smashed in the reer window of the SO's truck cab.  Thanks a lot asshole.

Also after almost three weeks of waking up naturally to the rising sun, I now get up when it's dark again with the aid of an alarm clock.  I hate this time change, and hate it even more now that it's been bumped so that the suns not even up.  Sucks.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 08:18:59 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 07:40:37 pm »

We should just stay on the "Savings Time" schedule, so we get our extra hour of snooze and then never change back.  Or all go to GMT or something.  Pretend we work for NASA, but without diapers.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up