Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Back when people ate watermelons  (Read 5605 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Back when people ate watermelons
« on: March 12, 2007, 04:03:18 am »

I was going to revive this thread to discuss this, but it appears to have been locked for some reason.  I will start this new thread instead.

I had this dream a couple of nights ago.  It wasn't about Achewood, it was all freaky shit like people crawling around sideways on walls and so forth, but towards the end I did dream about making a reference to something in Achewood.  I was paraphrasing something Little Nephew said, where he was disparaging something/someone for being old-fashioned.  It had something to do with being "from back when people ate watermelons."  It was a little like this.

I borrow stuff from Achewood quite frequently, whether or not the company I'm with know what the hell I'm talking about, so I suppose it's not that weird to allude to a nonexistent strip in a dream.  For some reason, though, I'm kind of surprised at myself.  Has anyone else done this?  It can't be that uncommon, can it?

It also occurred to me that I, personally, haven't eaten a watermelon in a very long time.  Now I'm confused as to whether Little Nephew was making a valid cultural observation or whether it was all just so much nonsense from a dream.  I can just picture a dude with a strawboater and a handlebar mustache, sitting on a checkered blanket eating a picnic of watermelons.  All children running around in little sailor suits, all playing such as croquet afterwards....

So I also ask, has anyone eaten a watermelon as of late?  Does it remain a common practice to do so?  If so, is this considered a modern sort of thing to do, or is it a holdover from our agrarian past?  Would one date oneself by recalling a prior meal of watermelon?  Inquiring minds would like to know.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 04:14:43 am »

I am not fond of watermelon. Everyone says it is awesome but, to me, it tastes like... a chemical attempt at replicating a fruit flavour, not an actual fruit flavour. It's difficult to explain, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure I don't see people eating watermelon as much anymore, as well, but it may be an artifact of living in a largely Hispanic area and I don't believe watermelon is big in the Latin areas.

Could it be that watermelon has fallen out of favour because of its relationship with ancient stereotypes about African-Americans? I know that I have had black friends who feel uncomfortable ordering fried chicken in public for similar reasons.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 04:18:25 am »

Like my father, I personally am not fond of watermelon.  I'll eat it, but there are other melons that I much prefer.

My daughter on the other hand, loves the stuff.  Generally during the warmer months we have vats of watermelon chunks sitting around the premises.  So yes, people do eat watermelon.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 04:57:54 am »

Honey dew is the money melon.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 05:54:54 am »

I'm allergic to them, which makes me really sad. Watermelon is effing delicious.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 06:31:44 am »

I'm glad to hear there are other civilized men who do not appreciate watermelon.  I too do not appreciate watermelon.  There are many humans who have wished me dead for this fact.
Logged
ACHIEVE

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 12:50:54 pm »

I apparently have only been exposed to some sort of tasteless variety of watermelon. Why anybody would breed such a thing I don't know but apparently there's a market for a flavor that can only be described as watered-down water.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 12:55:07 pm »

Yeah, I've always found watermelons pretty bland. They're good at soaking up other, tastier fruit juices, though.

And also vodka.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 01:07:09 pm »


I'm pretty sure I don't see people eating watermelon as much anymore, as well, but it may be an artifact of living in a largely Hispanic area and I don't believe watermelon is big in the Latin areas.

Are you sure? The only place I have ever had watermelon juice is at taco places in LA.

Oh also: seedless watermelons are tasteless. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 01:56:22 pm »

Watermelon is good.  My kids hell of love it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 04:14:08 pm »

I sort of go through phases where at one time I'm thinking "Ugh, why go to the effort for something so tasteless" to times where I go "Damn, I'd forgotten how good this is!".  I suspect its the watermelon varying though, and not me.

I've had seedless watermelons, and for the most part they seem to fall on the lower-tastiness part of the spectrum.  Usually, when I eat regular watermelon (if I'm inside) I just crush it against my palate with my tongue and swallow the seeds.  If I'm outside I'll spit them out.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 05:17:36 pm »

Hate it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 07:26:15 pm »

Love good ones, very rarely find them...
Tend thusly to get other melons instead.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 08:45:52 pm »

We eat hella' watermelon around here, but locally is very seasonal.  I totally chowed down on all sorts of insane fruit while in Indonesia, and even though it was nothing special, I did chow down on watermelon too, since it was nice and tasty there this winter. 

I fondly remember a little more than a year ago when I found a place that sold those little volleyball sized seedless watermelons with a written guarantee that the melon would be juicy and flavourful.  It was awesome.  I prefer the large melons though - the kind where  you eat a big slice and your whole face gets sloppy. 

Also, I plan to grow watermelon this year.  Hells yeah.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 10:36:53 pm »

smells likes getting Sloppy with Large Melons, pass it on!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up