Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 13 March 2007 - In some circles he is known as The Quiet Digressor  (Read 10997 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: 13 March 2007 - In some circles he is known as The Quiet Digressor
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2007, 02:40:51 am »

TEODOR OREZCU =

ERECT ROD OUZO
CURE OOZED ROT
ZERO OUT DECOR
RUDE ZOOT CORE
RE COED ZOO RUT
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: 13 March 2007 - In some circles he is known as The Quiet Digressor
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2007, 03:14:02 am »

Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 13 March 2007 - In some circles he is known as The Quiet Digressor
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2007, 03:39:48 am »

And with that, the whole carefully constructed house of cards collapses.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: 13 March 2007 - In some circles he is known as The Quiet Digressor
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2007, 04:58:41 am »

ERE S, Z TOO?  O CRUD!

These ones should work, though:

CORNELIUS BEAR =

OBSCURER A LINE
O UNREAL SCRIBE
RILES A BOUNCER
RUNE COIL SABRE
EEL SCAB OR RUIN
REAL IRON CUBES
SO URBANE RELIC
SUB RAIL ENCORE
OLE CRAB URSINE
CLUES ARE IN ORB
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 13 March 2007 - In some circles he is known as The Quiet Digressor
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2007, 05:18:51 am »

Quote from: iron_felix
CLUES ARE IN ORB

Now we can get to the bottom of the Terry-Judy thing...

If someone can just find the orb.

GO LEFT, GO FORWARD, GO IN BAR, TALK TO BARTENDER.

"I'll give you the orb if you can get me the Scroll of Makin' An Apple Martini."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 13 March 2007 - In some circles he is known as The Quiet Digressor
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2007, 03:41:50 pm »

RUDE ZOOT CORE

That was my favorite song from the modern-swing revival of the late '90s.
Logged

emptyflagpole

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 13 March 2007 - In some circles he is known as The Quiet Digressor
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2007, 05:16:36 pm »

Hey all. I'm new to the board, although I was briefly on the original, Onstad-approved achewood board. I was just wondering if any of you caught the changed alt-text on Tuesday's strip. I didn't save the original or anything, but I guess it could've been deemed offensive (the whole "mud computer" thing). Anyone have the original text and/or have speculations as to why he changed it?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 13 March 2007 - In some circles he is known as The Quiet Digressor
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2007, 05:24:08 pm »

Huh, that's a trip. Might have been that it could be considered offensive, I guess. Hope he's not losing his edge. Also, welcome.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 13 March 2007 - In some circles he is known as The Quiet Digressor
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2007, 05:37:39 pm »

I dunno...

I read the change as more a reaction to the fact that he was clearly hit with a lot of e-mail pointing out that there are other anagrams... and used the alt-text as a tool toward pointing out that he knows that fact and was merely using that misunderstanding toward comic effect in Beef's characterization.

I mean, the strip has certainly gone further in racial humour than that without giving an inch.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 13 March 2007 - In some circles he is known as The Quiet Digressor
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2007, 06:30:43 pm »

OK, forget my useless remark about the missing mud computers. I just watched the "Adventures of Mark Twain" clip and it totally bewildered me. I thought the most f*cked-up thing a kid could have watched growing up during the '80s was "Time Bandits".
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 07:03:06 pm by Roger »
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 13 March 2007 - In some circles he is known as The Quiet Digressor
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2007, 09:59:26 pm »

I dunno...

I read the change as more a reaction to the fact that he was clearly hit with a lot of e-mail pointing out that there are other anagrams... and used the alt-text as a tool toward pointing out that he knows that fact and was merely using that misunderstanding toward comic effect in Beef's characterization.

I mean, the strip has certainly gone further in racial humour than that without giving an inch.

I'd be surprised if he didn't know that there are other anagrams beforehand, but I've been wrong in roughly this same situation before - with that Steely Dan/Steve Miller thing.



Turns out this was my 2000th post and I didn't notice. It's lucky it was coincidentally so momentous
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 03:13:35 am by Nabubrush drinks (a lot) »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 13 March 2007 - In some circles he is known as The Quiet Digressor
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2007, 03:35:43 am »

I forgot to mention that the mud computer reminded me of the little car that's made out of clay.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up