Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 15 March 2007 -- Once More, With Relevance!  (Read 1548 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
15 March 2007 -- Once More, With Relevance!
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:34:32 pm »

Permalink

So... now that we've all gotten out Wikipedia yayas out, let's get back to the strip.

Does anyone else love the alternate pronunciation of "Sumbitches" from this strip? I could say it all day. Leon SOOM-'beh-cheh!
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 15 March 2007 -- Once More, With Relevance!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:37:25 pm »

I'll just share my love of the new concept of a "Christian Dare".

It is an idea of its time.

Cable Television was an idea perfect for the Eighties.

So is the Christian Dare for the Nothings.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 15 March 2007 -- Once More, With Relevance!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:47:55 pm »

Permalink

So... now that we've all gotten out Wikipedia yayas out, let's get back to the strip.

Does anyone else love the alternate pronunciation of "Sumbitches" from this strip? I could say it all day. Leon SOOM-'beh-cheh!

It's pronounced bü-'kA
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 15 March 2007 -- Once More, With Relevance!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 09:50:34 pm »

Sambuca?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 15 March 2007 -- Once More, With Relevance!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 11:14:04 pm »

I'll just share my love of the new concept of a "Christian Dare".

It is an idea of its time.

Cable Television was an idea perfect for the Eighties.

So is the Christian Dare for the Nothings.

It is pretty classic. I'm not sure what the best part of it is: the implication that, like so many other media products, Christianity-branded dares are somehow appropriate (how long before the Xtreme Christian Dare catches on in Young Life groups?), or the implication that Leon Sumbitches is so moral he would only commit to a Christian dare.
Logged

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: 15 March 2007 -- Once More, With Relevance!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 02:28:41 am »

In 2035 when the US is a Christianity-run monarchy, they will re-dub the words in the flagpole scene of A Christmas Story so that ralphie will say "I <Christian> Dare you!" and of course there is nothing you can do but do it because if you don't Jesus will come to your bedroom at night and flay you alive.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up