Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stephen King  (Read 8458 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Stephen King
« on: March 17, 2007, 05:04:39 pm »

Okay, Stephen King. I'd read "It" and the "Shining" and a couple of his McSweeney's short stories, and I liked them fine - really like the short stories.

I just now finished "The Stand" (1980 version) and I LOVED IT. Crazy loved it, can't stop talking about it. Probably my #3 book all-time. Obsessed.

I plan to read the "unabridged" version, but I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for after that?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 05:32:14 pm »

After The Stand you are pretty much done. It is all downhill.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 06:09:57 pm »

I do not have so much love for Mr. King, but I did like "The Body."
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 07:23:39 pm »

Oooh, the Stand is awesome. I think there's a character in there with my name, Rosalyn? I can't remember. Anyway, kellichou was the one who persuaded me to read it, and I loved it.

Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 10:25:52 pm »

I'm not huge on King but Dolores Clairborne is a good one if you like his fucked up characters rather than his supernatural stuff.
Similarly Misery is pretty good too (Book is definitely better than the movie and I think the movie is pretty sweet).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 03:39:44 am »

Give The Dead Zone a spin, just don't let the early '70's vibe bother you too much. Also, for a novella twist, Different Seasons is a nice little run if all the movies haven't smoked it out for you. even then I'd say it's worthwhile.
Logged
We must repeat!

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 08:34:17 am »

I am a slow reader, so I could read It, then the Stand, and enough time would have elapsed after that that I could read It again.

I would recommend the first few dark tower books, see if you're into that.  Also, Needful Things.  And the Talisman.  And Desperation (and perhaps even the Regulators then?)!

I don't really understand why people call him the master of terror or something.  What appeals to me most about him are his characters and strange ideas.  They apparently appeal to me enough to disregard the really ridiculous ones, and the fact that he hasn't ended a book well ever.
Logged
~

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 03:08:26 pm »

the fact that he hasn't ended a book well ever.

Oh sweet suffering zombie Jesus yes.

Actually, I would not put it past him to make the villain end up being sweet suffering zombie Jesus.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 03:32:58 pm »

Yes, we talked about this, repeatedly. Or at least I did.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 03:43:07 pm »

Yes, we talked about this.

The funniest thing is that's like one of his best works. "Hey Steve, nice work. Um, you kind of stepped on your dick right there at the end, with it all being a dream, or a giant space spider, or whatever."

I kind of liked The Regulators, and the sister book to it (the name escapes me at the moment and I can't be arsed to look it up).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 03:58:11 pm »

Maybe that's why his works are so long. He just doesn't know when to stop.

I actually liked the end of The Stand, and I thought the end of his short stories were pretty good.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 04:26:55 pm »

Yes, we talked about this, repeatedly. Or at least I did.

Well, at least you're taking it well and not holding a grudge.

You want to read an author who can't finish a book, try that other guy - Dean (shudder) Koontz. The Thomas Kincaide of writing. He's just terrible.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 05:22:25 pm »

Quote from: Nabubrush drinks (a lot)
I kind of liked The Regulators, and the sister book to it (the name escapes me at the moment and I can't be arsed to look it up).

REGULATORS! Mouuuuuuuuuunt up.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 09:05:53 pm »

Oh, God, Koontz is terrible. Don't even get me started on Koontz. Whatever people say about King, let it be known that he never had the sheer unmitigated lack of talent it takes to name characters "Enoch Cain Jr." and "Thomas Vanadium," let alone put those characters in the same goddamn book.

Anyway, I recommend King's short-story collections highly, especially if you like his weird ideas. They have the benefit of being pretty short, so in a collection, at least a few stories will hit and hit hard. I also really liked Black House, the sequel to The Talisman, although I haven't read Talisman itself yet...
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 09:15:53 pm »

Koontz has these two books about an albino, I think they are Seize the Night and Fear Nothing. A guy I work with convinced me to read them up here, when I was still working out in the field (entertainment is slim out in the field). I shot you not, there was an average of three similes per page in those books. It was like he was deliberately making fun of his readers and writing in general. Like he was just saying "what if I don't actually describe anything in either of these books - will people still buy and read them?" What a bag of shit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up