Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stephen King  (Read 8490 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2007, 05:29:36 am »

my friend katie's dad loves Koontz. She is really mad, because he talked her into reading one of Koontz's books. it sucked.

I almost feel worse when I'm carrying around some "classic." I feel like a pretentious fuck. because guess what-- I am one.

What are you reading? Oh... The Aeneid, huh? In Latin? OK... talk to you later, man.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2007, 01:42:24 pm »

my friend katie's dad loves Koontz. She is really mad, because he talked her into reading one of Koontz's books. it sucked.

I almost feel worse when I'm carrying around some "classic." I feel like a pretentious fuck. because guess what-- I am one.

What are you reading? Oh... The Aeneid, huh? In Latin? OK... talk to you later, man.

I totally know the feeling. Like when people are talking about some tv show that I've never heard of, or thought went off the air years ago (like Apprentice) and I feel all smug for not knowing how Everybody Loves Raymond ended or whatever. Then I realize that the smugness puts me about one click away from those people who constantly point out that they don't own a tv.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2007, 06:01:28 pm »

I always have to make myself feel better by telling them that I really suck at Latin, and I don't really understand any of it, and I have a D- in the class right now.

...which doesn't make me feel better for very long.

Can we agree that the most embarrassing thing is when you find some book by accident, and you don't know that it's really popular until you enthusiastically tell someone about it? They totally give you a look that... is not fun to receive.
in my case, it was my English teacher. SO MUCH WORSE.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2007, 06:22:59 pm »

Can we agree that the most embarrassing thing is when you find some book by accident, and you don't know that it's really popular until you enthusiastically tell someone about it? They totally give you a look that... is not fun to receive.
in my case, it was my English teacher. SO MUCH WORSE.

Quote from: Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song
Oh, you have got to be kidding sir. First you think of an idea that has already been done. Then you give it a title that nobody could possibly like. Didn't you think this through... [later]...was on the bestseller list for eighteen months! Every magazine cover had... [later]...most popular movies of all time, sir! What were you thinking?! [realizing] I mean, thank you, come again.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2007, 08:31:42 pm »

Can we agree that the most embarrassing thing is when you find some book by accident, and you don't know that it's really popular until you enthusiastically tell someone about it? They totally give you a look that... is not fun to receive.

I had a similar feeling when I was about to hit post on my opinion about Thomas Harris.  What if you erudite folks had said "You totally missed the point, you knob".  I would have had to go back to posting snark on Fark.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2007, 08:38:30 pm »

I found a copy of Needful Things in the lending bin up here the other day. Stamped on the book was the legend "Cook Inlet Pre-trial Facility".

Is this the best stuf fto have these folks reading? Can't we give them copies of Five Simple Steps to Emotional Healing or You Don't Have to Learn Everything the Hard Way?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2007, 11:34:25 pm »

Well sure, all with the jailhouse tattoo guns made from Bic pens and toothbrush motors. I just don't think it's right. I think they ought to be reading The Little Prince and shit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2007, 12:10:28 am »

Nah.

We as the TOUAMB board are their betters and they should read what we tell write for them to read.
  Fixed that for you.

Also, back when I was an English major, before I... you know... came to my senses.  There was this girl who just flat out hated me for no good reason.  Then one day I was sitting there, and I took some stuff out of my bag, including Douglas Coupland's "Girlfriend in a Coma," and she was sitting in front of me and turned around, saw the book, looked at me in disgust and said " You do know that that's the name of a Smiths song, right?"  And I said that I did (I did) and she just sighed and rolled her eyes, stared at me like I was a loser and finally turned back around.  The next year I was in a tiny class, sure enough she was in it, and we each had to do a comparative report on two books, one from the curriculum and one we chose.  I went for compairing Microserfs to Beloved (on the curriculum), not because I was a huge Douglas Coupland fan, but because there were some simple parallels about claiming personal freedom (basically I was too burnt out to work hard).  I intentionally chose to present on a day I knew that girl would not be there, but the class before the instructor asked me what books I would be compairing, and when I said "Microserfs" the girl looked at me like I was made of garbage.  To this day I have no clue why she hated me so.  Also, what's so bad about Douglas Coupland?  I mean, he's gone horribly, horribly down hill, but some of his early stuff had heart. 

I love me some trash.  It's great to read a pulp novel every so often, but I try to keep it concealed when I do.

Also, one time, a professor of mine let slip in class that her most recent book had just been published, but then begged us, begged us not to read it, rambling on about how she's just written it for money, then started telling us to read it so we'd see the sort of stuff we'd have to write to make a living.  She was just clearly so embarassed.  It was sort of sad. To this date it's still her most well known work.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2007, 12:17:20 am »

Quote
There was this girl who just flat out hated me for no good reason.

Man, English majors are stuffed with those kind of chicks. HATE.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2007, 12:23:45 am »

In my college experience last century, I found that... yes... there are a lot of those girls in English majors and other such majors, drama, writing, film, stuff like that. My theory on this is as such:

Those ladies were told they were good writers just because they were sexually attractive and now that they are going to school in a writing-related field and teachers who do not care if they are sexually attractive are telling them that they are not actually good writers, they are now hell of bitter.

This is not a sexist thing to say, though, because the same thing happens to guys... except instead of in writing, it is in music. Lots of guys who are shitty guitar players or shitty players of other rock instruments will be told that they are great by ladies who want to make Maximum Cuddles with them.

Then, when they go to a music school or try to make a real go of having a band, and people who do not want to have sex with them explain to them that they actually suck? They turn out just as bitter.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2007, 12:39:07 am »

Quote
In my college experience last century, I found that... yes... there are a lot of those girls in English majors and other such majors, drama, writing, film, stuff like that. My theory on this is as such:

Those ladies were told they were good writers just because they were sexually attractive and now that they are going to school in a writing-related field and teachers who do not care if they are sexually attractive are telling them that they are not actually good writers, they are now hell of bitter.

Kind of agree with the sentiment, but at my school, it's not so much in creative writing - our creative writing program is hella competitive, so those types of girls drop out after a semester or two of creative writing. The lady English majors I'm talking about are generally just over competitive and perhaps bitter because they're not attractive or developed their skill when they weren't attractive.

However, this is hell of true in the other fields you mentioned - dance, film, comm, photography. I live in the art house at my school, and I'm surrounded by them. Except, since this is a women's college, the cycle is perpetuated throughout school, so many of them still think their sh*t doesn't stink. Except they're completely aware of the connection between grades and their teacher wanting to sleep with them, so they're just extra-arrogant about their looks, sometimes without merit.

Whoops, sorry, I'm a little disillusioned with my friends right now.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2007, 01:00:48 am »

No. No one thought this girl was pretty.  She was a militant Marxist with unshaven legs in khaki.  I think she assumed I was one of those girls who came from a place of privilege.  Meanwhile I was uber-poor and in school on a scholarship.  She was just too terrifyingly angry for me to be even slightly able to explain, and had written me off without even bothering to look beyond her own equally ignorant assumption that I was rich and ignorant.  Or perhaps more true: fuckin' bitches need their cunt pills.  If the current me could go back and take the place of the younger, kinder, scared-er me, I probably would have torn a strip out of her and then there would have been fisticuffs, and as much as I'd like to think otherwise, that girl would kick my ass pretty hard.  My Zen-like, lack of focused rage just doesn't work well when it comes to beatings.

A while back I walked into the local Vegan collective to meet a vegan friend, and there she was just glaring at me behind the counter.  I wanted to turn around a leave, but my buddy was already set up at a table with her food.  She just stood there staring at me, and the other lady behind the counter served me as she focused her rage on me.  I was concerned as to what the spread the girl serving me put on the bread that came with the soup I'd ordered was (I'm allergic to soy), and when I asked, while the girl who served me explained that it was tahini, the girl I went to class with looked like she was going to murder me with her glare.  It was years later and she still totally hated me.  It was scary.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2007, 01:07:08 am »

Quote
No. No one thought this girl was pretty.  She was a militant Marxist with unshaven legs in khaki.

Man, see, I have a friend like that (a little bit). She wouldn't glare at anyone for reading Koontz, but if someone pissed her off as you seem to have pissed this girl off, she would use it as supplementary evidence for her haterade.

Problem is, she's an absolutely brilliant writer, and she's super-smart in other ways too, so I can't hate her too much for it - she's an awful lot of fun, even if she does get way too up her own ass about stuff.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2007, 01:34:10 am »

Also, back when I was an English major, before I... you know... came to my senses.

Hey c'mon, we have feelings.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2007, 03:25:36 am »

Yeah... I came to my senses and got a theatre degree.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up