Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Poll

El Jefe has been cagey about this in the past - what do you say/think?

Rhymes with cough
Rhymes with bough
Rhymes with through
Rhymes with tough
Rhymes with dough
Rhymes with thorough
None of these
Like Spock, the name is not pronouncable by humans
I don't give a shit.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you pronounce Jough  (Read 4855 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
How do you pronounce Jough
« on: March 17, 2007, 11:17:42 pm »

Its been a while since we visited this topic, and there's lots of new faces.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 11:22:44 pm »

I always assumed that it rhymes with "ow".

Such as "the Jough Dones Industrial average".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 11:41:52 pm »

Oh the noobs, ain't they cute.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 12:37:24 am »

um, what is the difference between "dough" and "thorough?" Am I pronouncing one of these in a strange way?

Judy needs to re-post his poem where he used all the possible pronunciations.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 01:54:51 am »

I was going to ask that, but I thought it was on purpose maybe.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 03:27:53 am »

um, what is the difference between "dough" and "thorough?" Am I pronouncing one of these in a strange way?

Doe and thir-uh, you heathen.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 03:32:32 am »

I know because Spouse told me.

And I'm not tellin'. 'Cause I'm like that.
Logged
We must repeat!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 04:13:14 am »

In my head, I just pronounce it 'jew'.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 04:19:47 am »

Quote from: Nabubrush drinks (a lot)
In my head, I just pronounce it 'jew'.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand SCENE.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 08:22:36 pm »

Never mind what it rhymes with, how is the "J" pronounced?

Djough?

Zhough?

Yough?

Hough?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 08:23:41 pm »

Pimps up, Joughs... down?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 08:49:02 pm »

Judy needs to re-post his poem where he used all the possible pronunciations.

Bloody hell, do you have a good memory. Seeing as I've contributed bugger all recently it's nice to look at when I made a "contribution".

Reposted for posterity:
Quote
He's ultra fine, he's super tough
He rules us all, his name is Jough

He'll entertain, put on a show,
You won't be bored 'cause he is Jough

He sneezes at times, he'll sometimes cough
It shows he's human... his name is Jough

He's quite the fellow, he ain't a cock
You'll know this well if you know Jough (Johkh, it's Manx)

He woos the women, he's skilled in lurv
Who's your daddy? His name is Jough.

It all rhymes, see?

If nothing else, I've secured my place in History with what is surely the most versatile use of a single word in a poem. Any opinion from the boss man himself and his vast knowledge of the poetic muse?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 08:54:03 pm »

Quote from: JudyIsADickSlap
Seeing as I've contributed bugger all recently, at least as JudyIsADickSlap, it's nice to look at when I made a "contribution".

Fixed that for ya.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 09:02:20 pm by littlefallsmets »
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 09:08:12 pm »

I still maintain the Spock answer.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How do you pronounce Jough
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 09:10:27 pm »

I have decided to change the pronunciation I use, as it could be construed as offensive. Henceforth, I will use "Jah".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up