Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pop-up ads and getting old.  (Read 1459 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Pop-up ads and getting old.
« on: March 18, 2007, 12:32:20 am »

Now, when pop-up and banner ads ask who the rapper with the blacked-out eyes is out of three choices... you know, it's supposed to be obvious if you have any sense of popular youth culture?

The whole point is making it so obvious that you're sucked into clicking on it and filling your computer with spam cookies or whatever people who know how computers work call them?

Man, I don't know who any of these people are.

I am old at twenty-seven, gang.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pop-up ads and getting old.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 12:53:26 am »

it's ok, I just got laughed at because I told my little brother that "Some T.I. person" was supposed to play at WashU, but then got greedy. I do not know popular rappers.

Except, you know, old ones. And some Hyphy ones (though not by sight.) And Kanye.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pop-up ads and getting old.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 02:19:06 pm »

I have most of the major advertising sites blocked at my router.  I can not recommend this enough.

As far as rap goes, I can identify maybe 16 people by sight, and three of them are the Beastie Boys.  I don't know what is happening in current music events, but Jurassic 5's latest was pretty good.  If I want to feel old, I think about how no one under twenty knows that Jam Master Jay was the big beat blaster, and he got better cuz he knew he hadta.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Pop-up ads and getting old.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 02:46:15 pm »

I have most of the major advertising sites blocked at my router.  I can not recommend this enough.

As far as rap goes, I can identify maybe 16 people by sight, and three of them are the Beastie Boys.  I don't know what is happening in current music events, but Jurassic 5's latest was pretty good.  If I want to feel old, I think about how no one under twenty knows that Jam Master Jay was the big beat blaster, and he got better cuz he knew he hadta.

I did not know until recently that Nelly and Nelly Furtado (sp?) are two different people. Also Fat Joe and Fat Mike. I also thought that Lil' Jon was just a character created for Chapel's Show until he popped up on eMusic.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Pop-up ads and getting old.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 03:03:43 pm »

I still don't know what these... pop... ups... you speak of are!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pop-up ads and getting old.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 03:22:27 pm »

Dude, you are so old.

The only popups I like are the Orbitz games. Sometimes when I'm inebriated I wonder what would happen if I actually followed through with those banner ads that promise free ipods or whatever. One day I'll be inebriated enough to find out.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pop-up ads and getting old.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 07:19:36 pm »

I did not know until recently that Nelly and Nelly Furtado (sp?) are two different people. Also Fat Joe and Fat Mike. I also thought that Lil' Jon was just a character created for Chapel's Show until he popped up on eMusic.

Over the course of the last week or two you have shattered all my carefully cultivated illusions about you, Cort.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1]   Go Up