Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets  (Read 10629 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 06:22:41 am »

And thats a can.

I worked at a vet for five years and have the coolest Great Pyrenees ever.  People should not fuck with their pets.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 11:15:58 am »

No way I'd introduce even the slightest extra risk to my pets just for the sake of proving a point.

He won't even buy a new keyboard though...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 12:04:23 pm »

Don't mess with this just because they haven't found the cause yet - there was another recall like this within the last year or two because a food was killing dogs - I can't find the link to the story right now but they found that some ingredient they were using was tainted.  Also in that case they specifically mentioned that some dogs didn't want to eat the food and some owners thought they were just being fussy and persuaded them to eat it by putting gravy on and so on. You can imagine how awful those people felt. So, I don't really want my animals to know this, but I am never going to talk them into eating anything they find even slightly suspicious.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 01:43:40 pm »

He won't even buy a new keyboard though...

I actually have a 60dollar wireless keyboard. A dude such as myself has to be able to type papers that involve commas and 'r' s. Its just awkward to use when Im at home (not school) because I usually have the laptop on top of my lap. Buying a new keyboard to actually go into my laptop is "a thing".

And despite common belief around here - I'm not a heartless bastard. I love my cats too. Lizzy Jake Jinx and Molly the homeless cat that lives in my basement. I do not however love baseless hysteria and demonization of corporations that are just trying to do the right thing. refusing to buy food from this company in the future will only serve to make them more hesitant to issue a recall - They are already taking a huge wash on this based on only a few sick pets and had already stopped using the suspect gluten.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 04:14:42 pm »

man, it makes me so sad, my mom is basically hoping that my dog will die soon. I love that little guy, and she hates him so much. We never should have gotten a damn dog.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 07:22:43 pm »

man, it makes me so sad, my mom is basically hoping that my dog will die soon. I love that little guy, and she hates him so much. We never should have gotten a damn dog.

Jesus that fuck*ng sucks.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 08:31:20 pm »

ok, I was probably exaggerating. She is just so fed up with him. And he's just a stupid little dog, you know!? It's not like he knows "I can't bark at the people outside, mom gets real pissed about that." And due to Circumstances (he was the runt and had to fight for his food, I think) he gets completely freaked out and growls if anyone comes near him when he has food. This enrages my mom. He has bit her, twice. Both times, it was basically because she got mad and confronted him about the growling. I mean... I don't know. if he growls at me, I yell at him and he runs off and hides in his bed.

Basically my dog has issues, and that is one thing. But my mom basically hates things that he does that are just... dog things. He doesn't know he can't eat things! He doesn't know that he is in the way if he stands in the kitchen! He is just a stupid little dog, jesus!

PS regarding the barking thing. What is the general opinion on bark collars? I cannot decide what I think about them... but I know that it would help regarding the whole "my mom hates every thing which the dog does" issue.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 08:59:05 pm »

Has your dog had any obedience training? Has your mom or anyone in your house read any books about dog training? I would recommend a book called Outwitting Dogs.  Barking is a hard thing to train a dog not to do, but the chapter in that book is good about how to identify particular triggers for barking and try to eliminate the behavior.

One thing to consider is that excessive barking is often just a result of boredom. If your mom doesn't like the dog, is there anyone else who likes the dog enough to be walking it and playing with it on a regular basis?  If the dog is left to entertain himself, barking and chewing on things is all he's going to be able to come up with.  It's not like he knows how to work the remote or read the newspaper.

Another thing that book will probably help with is to explain more constructive ways to deal with undesirable behavior in general. Getting mad at the dog, for growling or anything else, is really never going to help the situation.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 09:09:25 pm »

Wombat for the win. Dogs need shit to do. That's why I have cats. They don't care, and would just as soon you don't bother them so they can catch up on their sleep.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 09:58:56 pm »

PS regarding the barking thing. What is the general opinion on bark collars? I cannot decide what I think about them... but I know that it would help regarding the whole "my mom hates every thing which the dog does" issue.

Well, they're not a magic bullet.  I've never used one (haven't had to; dogs just haven't been barkers), but I hear that they can be an effective part of a behavior modification program.  As in - there's other stuff you're doing to get your dog to bark less, and the collar is there to help stop a barking cycle before your dog gets into his groove.  I hear they're completely useless if the collar is all you do.

And if you have one of these guys, you'd better just move to the boondocks
"Click on me for Finnish Spitz breed info" height="320" width="240"


"Finnish Spitz are extremely vocal dogs, quick to sound the alarm at every new sight and sound. You have to be equally quick to stop them. If you work all day and have close neighbors, Finnish Spitz are not a good choice for you. For the same reason, Finnish Spitz should NEVER be left outside in your yard, unsupervised. To make matters worse, many Finnish Spitz have intense, rapid, high-pitched barks that can set your teeth on edge."

Up to 120 barks per minute, plus "yodeling".
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 10:14:04 pm »

yeah, basically I had heard about one kind that didn't just straight-up shock the little guy? It was a smell or something, I think.

When I was home, there certainly was someone at home who would take him for walks and stuff. Now... I don't know. I think my brother and sister have been taking him on walks a lot. I don't know that it's so much that the barking is excessive, as that my mom just hates the concept of Barking. HATES IT TO HELL.

she's generally a very reasonable person, I swear.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 10:21:35 pm »

They put it on the Dalmation before putting her in the run for the day while they ran about. When they came back later they found out the dog had managed to peel that sucker off and basically eatify the sumbitch. Like to the extent of plastic fragments and collar shreds everywhere.

I believe she managed to pee over the largest remaining fragments in a final comment.

We took her over shortly thereafter.

Good Dog.

That's a dog I could like.

Here's my addition vis-a-vis shock collars. My dad & step-mom raised llamas. Some of them can exhibit a wide range of behaviors, not all of which are desirable. They had shock collars for the llamas. Now, llamas weight up to 350 pounds, so these collars are a bit different then the ones you get for dogs. I don't know how much juice they put out, but they got plugged into the wall to charge them up, and when the button was pushed their front legs would come about a foot off the ground, kind of like those low-riders a person might see in Southern California. That's all I got.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 12:30:22 am »

she's generally a very reasonable person, I swear.

Then get her that book.  When she sees that there are logical and reasonable ways to approach the problems that annoy her, it might be a completely different story.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 03:08:59 am »


I'm with L-Money on this one.

No way I'd introduce even the slightest extra risk to my pets just for the sake of proving a point.

I am not in the business of Proving Points, especially when it comes to the lives of my friends.

I don't have any pets out here, because the complex doesn't allow it, but my pets were my BUDDIES, man. Lily, Somebody nice, Spot, Poppy, Suzie, Bill... I would have sooner slightly risked poisoning people I knew in high school than my pets.

My pets were my buddies. You don't prove points with your buddies.

Hells yes, lfm. I totally agree. I emailed it to all the pet owners that I know, and I got replies back from almost all of them saying, "thanks for the email...OMG, are your little dudes okay??" Everyone makes jokes at how much I love the Mi-wan and Lennybruce, but everyone who's met them knows that they are the raddest little guys ever, and that they are irreplaceable.

ALSO...Why is it that the only people I meet with my name are people's PETS??


That's a dog I could like.

Here's my addition vis-a-vis shock collars. My dad & step-mom raised llamas. Some of them can exhibit a wide range of behaviors, not all of which are desirable. They had shock collars for the llamas. Now, llamas weight up to 350 pounds, so these collars are a bit different then the ones you get for dogs. I don't know how much juice they put out, but they got plugged into the wall to charge them up, and when the button was pushed their front legs would come about a foot off the ground, kind of like those low-riders a person might see in Southern California. That's all I got.

I almost pee'd myself laughing from your little simile there.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT: U.S. Pet food recall due to toxin and kidney failure in pets
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 05:08:23 am »

Okay, bitches who are rushing to defend Menu Foods.

The FDA was doing tests when Menu Foods was claiming "NONE of our tests have indicated the problem...we have no idea what it could be." One in six lab animals (cruel tests, I wish they didn't have to do it) died immediately from being fed the suspect food from Menu Foods. Even according to Menu Foods' tests (see New York Times article here) seven animals died before they finally sparked the recall. AND THEY KNEW THERE WAS A PROBLEM BACK IN DECEMBER, when the food was manufactured in Emporia, KS.

Whatever, I'd like to see you buy that shit and eat it yourself. Yeah, the government sucks and forcing companies to comply with safety controls are totally bogus cuz the free market would regulate itself! Because that worked so well as evidenced by Upton Sinclair.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up