Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Changes  (Read 6154 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Some Changes
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2003, 02:58:50 pm »

Quote from: "misterhaan"
as for browsers, i also use firebird set to 800x600 (at home and work), but i don't make it taller.  i design my sites so that they fit easily on 640x480.


I always check my sites in various resolutions - from 640x480 to 1600x1200, but I don't worry so much about the 640x480 anymore.  When I was first doing web design there were only two resolutions to worry about - 640x480 and 800x600.  I try to make the main content fit in 640 pixels wide, so if someone has to scroll horizontally in a small resolution they'll only be missing a right-hand side bar.

Of course, I use W3C standards - XHTML, all CSS layout, etc. - so my pages tend to flow pretty well in any web device.

I do, however, often write a handheld stylesheet to make things prettier and easier to handle in the limited 150px-wide window of the smallest Palm screens.

However, this forum is 800x600 minimum - it's horrible and painful to use in 640x480.

And how many people still use 640x480 to surf?  Just those at poor companies, or poor people at home.  I don't mean to disparage the poor, as I'm using pretty antiquated equipment here too, but anyone can afford a five-year-old computer, and that five-year-old computer will be able to at least display at 800x600.  I mean, how much are 15" monitors now?  $60?

I use Firebird and have some extensions to re-size the browser to various resolutions for testing, but during my everyday surfing I like to set it at 800x1000, because I can see more on the screen at once.  I mean, I have the extra pixel space, I may as well use it.

I'm looking forward to getting a 21" LCD one of these days and moving up to 1200x1024 resolution.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Some Changes
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2003, 06:01:26 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

Of course, I use W3C standards - XHTML, all CSS layout, etc. - so my pages tend to flow pretty well in any web device.


1280X1024 on a 19" flat screen for me. I wold use 1600X1200 but I have to drop it to 75hz refresh and after 85hz I just notice it too much and my migraine ratio grows again.

Indeed all my most recent sites have been done entirely with a linked style sheet so that whatever you do to the window it still looks right. Text flowing around images and such.
And I will get round to downloading Firebird over vanilla Mozilla (ooooh geek song title methinks in the vein of Three Dead Trolls).
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

misterhaan

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • http://www.track7.org/
Some Changes
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2003, 06:55:28 pm »

i probably could stand to make my browser window taller, but if i make it much wider i find things a lot harder to read.  somehow a paragraph is a lot easier for me to read if it's taking up 6 lines instead of one and a half . . . maybe that's just me though since it seems a lot of people run their browsers full screen . . .

also, i am retarded on this board when it comes to clicking new topic or post reply--i keep clicking the wrong one for some reason.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Some Changes
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2003, 07:17:26 pm »

It's OK.  I keep clicking "edit" instead of "quote."  

Aaah, the pressures of being an admin.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Some Changes
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2003, 09:02:21 pm »

Quote from: "misterhaan"
i probably could stand to make my browser window taller, but if i make it much wider i find things a lot harder to read.  somehow a paragraph is a lot easier for me to read if it's taking up 6 lines instead of one and a half . . . maybe that's just me though since it seems a lot of people run their browsers full screen . . .


Text is easier to read when it's not too widely spaced - having to find the left hand side on a full screen of text is not *that* difficult, but it's less readable than a shorter window.

A lot of sites that contain a lot of text will limit the width of that text - I do it in my articles now:

http://articles.poetryx.com

Of course, since it's sized to 800x600 it doesn't matter how wide your browser is.

misterhaan

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • http://www.track7.org/
Some Changes
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2003, 04:08:30 pm »

so i don't have a wide-reading impairment?  well at least i'm still a mutant . . .
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Some Changes
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2003, 04:35:12 pm »

I have astigmatism, which my glasses and contacts correct for to some extent, but not completely.  But, I hate to scroll.  So I usually leave my screen resolution at 1280X1024 and use my cursor to mark the beginning of the line I'm reading, moving it down as I go.  It's the internet equivalent of moving your lips while you read.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Some Changes
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2003, 05:20:56 pm »

I have an astigmatism too, as well as semi-night-blindness.

People wonder why I turn off the lights when I'm using my computer - it's not just because the screen is illuminated and the fluorescent lights tend to wash it out - it's just that the bright light can be kinda taxing on my peepers.

So I make my text BIGG, yo.

misterhaan

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • http://www.track7.org/
Some Changes
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2003, 10:03:09 pm »

i used to have a blurry monitor that was still blurry at 640x480.  i took the cover off but it still didn't seem to have a focus adjust, and i'm sure not going to be poking around with a screwdriver while a monitor is on to try to get it adjusted just right . . .
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up