Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.  (Read 7273 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« on: March 20, 2007, 07:19:46 pm »

So, this morning, my little brother left me this note:

Quote
Hay Rachel, Mom is at class and I am at school I will see you at 2:15 Reuben

PS: DON'T BURN THE HOUSE DOWN I am serious

It reminded me of this strip. I'm not sure if that makes me Nice Pete or not. Either way, I got a huge kick out of it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 07:30:20 pm »

I really want to type up a copy of this UTTERLY BRILLIANT email my friend's brother wrote to her.
it began as an application to a Magnet program at their local High School... and turned into this insane surrealist rant about how he was going to eat "Nushes" (her nickname, apparently.)

"she haunts me. Do I care?
no! I just eat the ghost."

...I cannot explain why it is funny without posting the whole thing. coming soon, maybe.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:40:56 pm »

I think the most eloquent message I ever got from my brother was the time I came home, chucked my stuff in my room and noticed a shoebox on my bed. In crayon (this was my youngest brother, I'm the oldest) on top of the box was a crude heart with my name inside. There was some tissue hanging out the edges of the box and it had a little heft to it so I was wondering what the gift was. So I peeled it open and found nestled in the tissue was a perfect kid sized...turd.

The little sonuvabitch gift wrapped a turd for me.

HIS frigging turd, I come to find out, harvested especially for me.

At that point I knew I'd taught him well.

P.S. I hope you decide not to burn down the house.

Greatest use of a landmark/threshold post ever. Congratulations on #2000, Ash!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 08:08:41 pm »

Quote
The little sonuvabitch gift wrapped a turd for me.

How old was your brother?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 08:11:32 pm »

My brother was in charge of our house as a kid, despite being the youngest.

Interestingly, now that my girlfriend and I live with him in an apartment away from my parents, we are much more democractic about the running of the place... even though he makes the most money of the three of us by far.

I think it was about him being in charge of my parents, not about being in charge of me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 08:16:31 pm »

so. Explain! Why does your brother think you might burn the house down?
Is this him being a cute little silly kid?
have you actually lit things on fire at home before?
is he a horrible domineering little bastard who makes you live in fear?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 08:20:14 pm »

Quote
so. Explain! Why does your brother think you might burn the house down?

I'm not 100% sure. I think he was trying to be funny mainly. And capitalizing on the fact that this is the first time I've acutally been alone in this house - the family recently moved from Kansas to Boston while I was at school, so I've only been here for breaks etc.

Or he's secretly Pat. Or something. Or maybe he thinks I'm actually going to burn the house down.

He says: "It was a distant possibility." Maybe he just wanted to make sure.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 08:33:48 pm »

Um, I wish I could give your little brother a tiny can of Dr. Pepper for that, but I guess I'll just have to give it to you. You did teach him it, after all.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 10:57:34 pm »

As long as this is the amusing little brother story thread, I have another from tonight:

My family lives right smack in the most heavily Jewish area of Boston, and so my brother goes to school with a lot of kids who have recently come over from Israel. Tonight, I was asking him about bar mitzvahs etc, and he offered this:
 
Quote
Today in class, the kids from Israel were making fun of me for having a big nose...in Hebrew...

I laughed and laughed. Turnaround is hilarious.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 11:44:14 pm »

I don't have sibling stories as my sister was mostly disinterested in me.

However back in university, being that I studied theatre, and a lot of people in theatre are in it because they didn't get enough love, it was sort of familial.  That is why a friend and I spent an evening cooking up, gift wrapping, and secretly delivering eggs to many of our classmates.  The hand made cards had quotes from green eggs and ham, and one of the gifts, a perfectly fried sunny-side up, was delivered to my most romantically minded friend in a heart shaped box.  Though neither of us ever admitted it to anyone, my car was egged a few days later.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 01:57:23 am »

Sub_Ashical, is your given Birth-Certificate name really Asherdan, or are you just being funny?

Oh, the sibling stories. Being girls, we never gift-wrapped turds or anything like that. That's just heinous.

My favorite story is the Wombie Thanksgiving, when me and kellichou were 16 and got to stay home in Denver rather than go to Wyoming to spend Thanksgiving with my mom's white trash family.

I have a great picture of me (I had a shaven head at the time, and I think I was wearing a Schwa shirt) holding the baked turkey breast that we got. Kelli, do you remember what we did? Did we fix Thanksgiving Dinner and then go smoke on the back porch? I remember there was a lot of snow. We peeled potatoes together just as we have done every Thanksgiving since we were old enough to hold a knife. Man, I really miss going home and spending Thanksgiving with Kelli and my family. Sadface. This is what pisses me off about my boss not letting me leave the island more than once a fuckin' year.

Thanksgiving is one of my most cherished times of year, because Kelli and I have our birthday around then (Nov. 27th, same day as Jimi Hendrix and Bruce Lee, suckas), and Thanksgiving is just a great holiday anyway.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 02:17:45 am by linnea »
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 06:26:00 am »

My brother always sends me bizzaro emails. Once, he sent me a "personality test" that he made during class. It was a bunch of squares, a heart on top of a rectangle, and some random lines. He also sent me a picture of a man playing polo with the word "TOYOTA" written across the entire thing.

I've also found some comics that he drew in fourth grade. The main characters were a magic cat, a conic cello, two regular K'nex people, a K'nex doctor named Professor Nice, and a K'nex villain named Dr. Evil. (Neither of us had seen any Austin Powers movies back then.) One comic was devoted to Dr. Evil doing the disco. The best line? "Nooooooo! My spumoni!"

I don't know how that kid managed to get accepted by any colleges.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 10:57:29 am »

I've also found some comics that he drew in fourth grade. The main characters were a magic cat, a conic cello, two regular K'nex people, a K'nex doctor named Professor Nice, and a K'nex villain named Dr. Evil. (Neither of us had seen any Austin Powers movies back then.) One comic was devoted to Dr. Evil doing the disco. The best line? "Nooooooo! My spumoni!"

I demand context on "Nooooooo! My spumoni!", because otherwise my brain will run itself ragged trying to think of one
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 09:16:09 pm »

(Asher)canned. Delightful.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: There is a very complicated power dynamic in my household.
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 09:18:44 pm »

Oh, man. I have such the backlog of song parodies in my notebooks.

You do not want to encourage my manifesting this trait here.

You do not want to read "MTV Killed The Video Star".

You do not want to read "Lunch For Life".

You do not want to hear a song about He-Man's girlfriend "Teela" to the tune of Layla.

It is probably for the better that I cannot play any instruments, is all I'm saying.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up