Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Favorite Holiday?  (Read 5950 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 04:31:59 pm »

Your are a kind, benevolent and wonrous mayor, and are deserving of high praise.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 05:33:49 pm »

I'm as old as the Super Bowl.  You know, XLI.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 05:38:31 pm »

I much prefer to show and share my love when it feels right, and I don't really like being arbitrarily force to spend time with people I don't care for just because of the date and my biological links to the day. 

Of course! That's why - Halloween!

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 12:06:08 am »

I celebrate Super Bowl Sunday as my alternate birthday.  I was born the day of Super Bowl IV.  Therefore this year I turned XXXVII.

Superbowl VII I think was on my birthday.  It is a couple of weeks later each year now.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 01:16:59 am »

Halloween, hands down.  I love that time of year - with the world remembering the heat of summer, but crisp winds and the first hints of rain.  The quasi-neo-celticness of carving gourds to scare the demons coming through the veil at Samhain, my neighbors working on their papier mache skulls for Dia de Los Muertos, kids in costumes and giving out candy.  Decorating macabre.  Its wonderful.

Also, the lack of pressure regarding gifts.

Which, by the way, is seriously ameliorated by drawing names from a hat at Thanksgiving, if you have a large family (as I do).  Christmas has pinched much less the last few years, and the recipient of my focussed giving has had a cooler present than I would otherwise have managed (due to dilution of attention).

I hate hallmark holidays, but do acknowledge Mothers/Fathers Day with a phone call.  I try to make every day an act of appreciation for love, parents, grandparents (had I any remaining) etc.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 04:53:38 am »

Easter is probably my favorite holiday, mostly because I love this time of year so much.  Things are green and flowery and being reborn.  There's so much life everywhere.  It's easy to like.

Thanksgiving is a favorite too.  Good food to cook and to eat, family, fall...  It's a good vibe.

Finally, December 23.  I'm good with Christmas in general for many of the reasons expressed herein already.  But for some reason 12/23 has always resonated with me.  For one thing we moved into both of our last two houses on rainy December 23d's. 

But it goes way back farther than that. 

When I was a kid, Christmas Eve was a family day.  School was out and festivities were peaking.  Christmas Eve Eve was a different kind of day.  It was a day for sharing the season with the world at large.  I used to deliver jars of homemade pickles to my Grandmother's neighbors on the 23d.  I'd ride around with my Dad and visit clients, friends or significant acquaintences. 

It was close enough to Christmas to fully focus you on the season, but it was sufficiently removed so that you weren't completely wrapped up in family celebrations.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 03:15:53 pm »

Finally, December 23.  I'm good with Christmas in general for many of the reasons expressed herein already.  But for some reason 12/23 has always resonated with me.  For one thing we moved into both of our last two houses on rainy December 23d's. 

Did you know they filmed your biography? Unfortunately it stars Jim Carrey. I don't think it turns out very well, either.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 04:23:03 pm »

Chinese New Year is my favorite holiday, hands down. For an entire week or so, all my family does is cook a lot of food, eat a lot of food, visit other people and eat their food, and give money to the people younger than thirty. It's better than Christmas because I don't have to dish out any money, my fake relatives come to visit and we go to visit them, and did I mention the food?

Thanksgiving is also fun because my dad bought a huge grill that looks like a giant green funeral urn and it looks like he's trying to cremate the turkey.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 05:05:45 pm »

[obligatory]My number three would probably be Festivus.[/obligatory]
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 08:27:49 pm »

Isn't the 23rd Festivus?

Also, my favorite is Thanksgiving.  B-Days suck, on Christmas my mom totally gives me too much and I feel like an asshole/ spoiled, but on Thanksgiving we just eat and talk and drink.  Plus, that is the only time all year that redneck, church basement green bean casserole makes its way into my life.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 08:34:48 pm »

that is the only time all year that redneck, church basement green bean casserole makes its way into my life.

Evidently you consider this a good thing.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 09:00:51 pm »

I certainly do.

That and corn casserole make Thanksgiving what it is.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 11:47:48 pm »

Did you know they filmed your biography? Unfortunately it stars Jim Carrey. I don't think it turns out very well, either.

Apocryphal story involving The Number 23:

The time: Unknown
The place: John Q. College Movie Theatre (UCSD area)
The film: 300

The movie begins. People settle down, conversations stop. Moments later, a woman stands.

WOMAN: (Stands) Shit. I came to watch The Number 23. This isn't The Number 23.
MAN (seated behind Woman): (Stands) No. THIS. IS. SPARTA! (kicks WOMAN in chest, she falls onto chairs)

Fade to black, sounds of applause and budding lawsuits.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 11:52:52 pm »

Yea, shes gonna owe so much money for damaging that guy's foot. I mean, who knows if he'll ever walk again. Think of the children.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 02:26:24 am »

I'm pretty anti-holiday for the most part. I strongly dislike Christmas. I hate shopping for other people (I barely tolerate shopping for myself most of the time). I'm always told, "It's not about the gift, but about the thought you put into it," and people have a hard time realizing that THE THOUGHT I PUT INTO IT IS THE PART I DON'T LIKE. I'm really bad at figuring out what people like and would be happy to receive. My wife is for the most part understanding, but thinks I can/expects me to get over it by the time we start popping out kids. That's gonna be the rough part of the year in the Haushold.

My "favorite" holidays... probably Easter (because as a non-Christian I'm kinda off the hook as far as actually having to DO anything). Thanksgiving has become a favorite too. I'm in the airline industry, and got to know a lot of people who would have rather been with their loved ones, but couldn't get there on account of it being the busiest travel time of the year. So I started inviting them to my place. Ten people hanging out with each other so they wouldn't have to be alone turns out to be a pretty good time.

I also throw an annual Super Bowl party. If the Super Bowl gets any bigger, it'll be named a federal holiday, and I see little reason why it shouldn't already be.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up