Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Favorite Holiday?  (Read 5951 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2007, 04:19:53 am »

I'm in the airline industry, and got to know a lot of people who would have rather been with their loved ones, but couldn't get there on account of it being the busiest travel time of the year. So I started inviting them to my place. Ten people hanging out with each other so they wouldn't have to be alone turns out to be a pretty good time.

Hip hip hooray for orphan parties!!!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2007, 07:45:27 am »

Apocryphal story involving The Number 23:

The time: Unknown
The place: John Q. College Movie Theatre (UCSD area)
The film: 300

The movie begins. People settle down, conversations stop. Moments later, a woman stands.

WOMAN: (Stands) Shit. I came to watch The Number 23. This isn't The Number 23.
MAN (seated behind Woman): (Stands) No. THIS. IS. SPARTA! (kicks WOMAN in chest, she falls onto chairs)

Fade to black, sounds of applause and budding lawsuits.

I don't care whether this is apocryphal or not it's now part of my movie-based religion.

Also i thought the 23rd was agnostica.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2007, 12:54:16 pm »

I also throw an annual Super Bowl party. If the Super Bowl gets any bigger, it'll be named a federal holiday, and I see little reason why it shouldn't already be.

But they can't call it Super Bowl Day because of the NFL's insane trademark lawyers. Last I heard they also want to TM "The Big Game." So I guess the holiday would have to be Commercial Day or Hot Wing Induced Heartburn Day.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2007, 08:33:08 am »

Turducken Day.

Chili-Cheese Day.  Con Carne.

I don't know.  But this needs to be official so we can get that Monday off.  I have never known something to be so true as this fact.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2007, 02:43:41 pm »

The day where I make Mole Poblano from scratch is a holiday in my mind.  It's a wonderful, meditative state to cook all day, and sit down that evening to a deeply satisfying meal. 

Also, I really like Spring Break - I normally don't tell the people I don't want bothering me that I have the week off, so it's a nice time bubble of hanging out with the people I want to and having private time to enjoy a break with no demands.

Halloween for me isn't so good.  It used to be my favorite, but the kidlings in the neighbourhood are total bastards who steal everything that's not chained down and vandalize anything with a surface appropriate for smashing or spray painting on.  Also, we get so few trick or treaters that its sort of sad.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2007, 05:51:17 pm »

But they can't call it Super Bowl Day because of the NFL's insane trademark lawyers. Last I heard they also want to TM "The Big Game." So I guess the holiday would have to be Commercial Day or Hot Wing Induced Heartburn Day.

I think the NFL would come to terms with a deal from the federal government to license the use of "Super Bowl" in connection with a holiday. "Enjoy having tomorrow off, America, courtesy of the federal government, official national government of the NFL and Super Bowl XLVII."
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2007, 07:20:04 pm »

I think the NFL would come to terms with a deal from the federal government to license the use of "Super Bowl" in connection with a holiday. "Enjoy having tomorrow off, America, courtesy of the federal government, official national government of the NFL and Super Bowl XLVII."

I'm laughing through my tears right now.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2007, 02:20:27 am »

My favorite holiday is the Wombie Thanksgiving, when me and kellichou were 16 and got to stay home in Denver rather than go to Wyoming to spend Thanksgiving with my mom's white trash family.

Yeahhhh!  That was awesome.  Talk about good times!  I think we totally smoked, then sat down to our awesome Wombie Thanksgiving dinner.  I made gravy, like I do every year.  I'm the gravy expert of the family.  That was such a great experience!  Perhaps one day we should have another one!  Or a reenactment!!!  Woot!
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Holiday?
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2007, 08:19:54 am »

Yeahhhh!  That was awesome.  Talk about good times!  I think we totally smoked, then sat down to our awesome Wombie Thanksgiving dinner.  I made gravy, like I do every year.  I'm the gravy expert of the family.  That was such a great experience!  Perhaps one day we should have another one!  Or a reenactment!!!  Woot!

Fuck YES. Reenactment in June. Let's do this! Let's do this!
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up