Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?  (Read 4589 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« on: March 22, 2007, 11:50:28 pm »

So. Apparently for the Pitchfork Music Festival's opening, Sonic Youth are going to play all of Daydream Nation. tickets are 15$. I love this album, I have never been able to see Sonic Youth... but I'd have to drive all the way there? And probably none of my friends would want to go. And I'd be surrounded by horrible hipster people (I'm supposed to hate people who like what I like, right? Isn't that how it works?). Perhaps most importantly, I'm not really interested in any of the other bands playing, and I'd probably stay with my friend who lives way outside the city.

So. Thoughts? I have never gone to a music festival like this, so I don't really know how to decide. Have you gone to a music festival and loved it? Hated it?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 01:35:00 am »

Oh man, I love Pitchfork. I would totally go if I were able. That sounds like a great festival.

The last music festival I've been to was probably Lollapalooza in the early nineties! I did get to see Sonic Youth and other awesome performers, though. :P I would love to go to the Michigan Women's Music Festival, South by Southwest (SXSW), and an Austin City Limits festival.
Logged

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 04:52:07 am »

Music festivals=thumbs up. They are never a bad time. Even when they're bad, they're good. If nothing else, remember this: people regret more the things they didn't do than the things they did.

It will be as Awesome as you want it to be.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 05:42:21 am »

huh. My mom informed me that she'd want me to take a plane, instead of driving. Because, you know, paying a couple 100$ to go to a 15$ show makes so much sense.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 06:48:35 am »

PS: has anyone seen The Decemberists, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Son Volt, or Yo la Tengo live? They are all coming before the end of the school year, but tickets are 20$. And that is... kind of a lot. I have not listened to a particularly large amount of the music of any of these bands, but you can bet your ass I will be listening to what I have between now and when they come.

So... do any of these bands suck live? Please tell me Yes for at least one. If I have to judge for myself, I'll go to all of them. Or else, decide by going to none of them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 06:55:54 am »

The Decemberists were okay when I saw them, but were totally outdone by their opening act, which was Sons & Daughters.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 08:38:15 am »

PS: has anyone seen The Decemberists, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah,

Both are really fun live shows.  Sorry.
Logged

Doc Benway

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 22
  • That's right Stouffer, you help!
    • View Profile
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 10:08:01 am »

So. Apparently for the Pitchfork Music Festival's opening, Sonic Youth are going to play all of Daydream Nation.
That sounds incredible! DN is one of my all-time favourite albums! Also, Yo La Tengo are great live, definitely worth $20 in my book.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 12:34:34 pm »

I live in Chicago and had no idea about this festival. 

I'm down.  Also, I'm good for buying a drink and kicking it around town for any board regulars who show up. 

EDIT: Just bought tickets.  And it's in July, not June.

http://pitchforkmusicfestival.com
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 12:39:15 pm by jough »
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 01:24:10 am »

PS: has anyone seen The Decemberists, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Son Volt, or Yo la Tengo live?

I've seen The Decemberist Live.

link

Colin Meloy ended the show early due to a sore throat, stopping just before the song I was eagerly awaiting to hear, The Mariner's Revenge Song was next on the setlist.  Otherwise they played very well and were entertaining.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 05:23:25 am »

OH GOD... theinev, if you get to see Son Volt play live... I will rip out my heart or spleen or something so you can go up and rub it on Jay Farrar. I fuck*ng love Son Volt sooooo much, just check out my last.fm dashboard sometime. They're insanely good. SEE THEM FOR ME. PLEASE.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 04:08:54 pm »

Anyone planning to go see this show, by all means contact me ahead of time.  I will make Chicago sway to welcome you.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 05:48:30 pm »

I kind of want to go to see some of the other bands, truth be told. Maybe I can Make This Happen.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 06:28:04 pm »

dude... I will totally drive there with Hobot.

I WILL MAKE THIS HAPPEN.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

hound

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -21
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 02:03:03 am »

also in this series slint are playing spiderland straight through and house of love are playing their first s/t, both of which are probably more solid albums to my mind than daydream nation

not that i'm one of those people who pretends sister is better than daydream nation but the latter does have some throwaway traxcks

spam post tiny can lark l@@k
Logged
Yoke-fellowes in Armes, let vs to France, like Horfe-leeches my Boyes, to fucke, to fucke, the very blood to fucke.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up