Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy little time waster  (Read 2807 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Happy little time waster
« on: March 22, 2007, 11:53:30 pm »

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/games/boomshine

I kept this guy running in the background while I was writing today.  It sort of reminds me of the background music from the home design part of The Sims.  Cheery, low key, not distracting.  I just never got around to closing the window.  The game itself is pretty good, although I didn't develop much of a strategy for it (hence my middling final score of 260 - should be easy for any TOUAMBie to crush).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy little time waster
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 12:40:15 am »

Here is a similar, if less soothing version of the same game.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy little time waster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 12:44:28 am »

This game drove me nuts on so many meta-levels it was disturbing.
Do the dots have choices? Am I dot?Am i the white dot or a colored dot? Does it matter? Is this how society forms? Just dots crashing and joining in their crashing? Is this how networking works? Is this what disease looks like? What if they saw this before the black death? Would they know what it means? What if this is the question to everything? What if this is the answer to everything? What if its just a game?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy little time waster
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 12:49:20 am »

I definitely can't get past 206. I cannot figure this out at all. I'm always off by a couple.

But it's so pretty! so very very pretty.

I don't get it. But then... "what is Making Sense?"

wait.... now it decided that I lose? I got 267. Somehow.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Happy little time waster
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 01:03:52 am »

274

I had a train of thought along the lines of a juuuust subcritical mass of fissile material.  Come on little neutron - just move a little faster and the boomshine radius will enough to sustain the reaction!

p.s. Augie, that's hilarious.  The game is entirely in (Japanese?  Chinese?) until the final moment when you get over some score and it displays, COOL!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 01:11:08 am by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy little time waster
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 01:21:08 am »

281.  And Inev, you didn't lose, you just finished the last level.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy little time waster
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 02:41:05 am »

oh. damn. I was hoping it went on forever.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Happy little time waster
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 05:05:19 am »

It makes everything okay.


This game... makes everything okay.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Happy little time waster
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 05:08:42 am »

I suck at this game. How do you manage to get numbers in the upper two hundreds?
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy little time waster
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 05:16:34 am »

Play through all 12 levels.  You pretty much can't avoid getting less than about 240...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Happy little time waster
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 05:46:37 am »

This game is like the combat simulation in Ender's Game.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy little time waster
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 06:18:07 am »

the only error: lack of the ability to turn off the music.

I decided to stop playing mid-way through and do some work. So I had to turn off the music.
Every few minutes, I'd think "oh, why don't I have any music going?" and I'd turn up the speaker, only to be confronted with the game and I'd have to play all the way to the end again.
This happened several times. 267 is my best I think.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy little time waster
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 06:59:36 am »

There is a button you can click before the game starts, on the right side of the screen, to turn off the sound.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Happy little time waster
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 12:20:26 pm »

I thought that the little noises it makes when you burst a light were part of the music until about the fifth level.

And I suppose, in a way, they are.
Pages: [1]   Go Up