Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.  (Read 18458 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Panopticon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« on: March 23, 2007, 06:04:12 am »

Hello, all.

I am in my last semester at the Naval Academy.  It is a pretty decent place to be for the most part although at this point I'm itching to move on.  I stumbled upon Achewood when I was a lowly plebe (=freshman) and it seems to tickle a part of my brain that had been just waiting for an opportune moment to be tickled.  It was as if I walked into a new-to-me restaurant at complete random and loved every item on the menu: "Yes, I'll start with a glass of the rabbit ambulance sauvignon.  Ocular shenanigans tartare for the main course, and I'll top it off with a slice of A BLOO BLA BLOO BLOO BLOOOO pie.  My compliments to the chef, Achewood.  Keep the change." 

Anyway.  I set up an RSS feed reader so I could stop compulsively checking for updates, but it hasn't helped.  Because, you know, maybe he added some new content and the reader missed at.  At two in the afternoon.  On a Saturday.  It could happen.
Logged
"Superman? Superman?!"
"Supraman."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 06:25:34 am »

my best friend, who is a freshman (I forget what this is called. 1st year cadet?) at the Air Force Academy, informed me that he hadn't read Achewood in months and months. I'm glad to know that this isn't due to some kind of anti-Achewood lesson plan that our government has going on.

welcome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 06:54:29 am »

You are pond scum.

This is not the story of the guy choosing between Wal Mart and the armed forces.

This is a guy choosing, rationally, to be a hired killer.

Well you fuck*ng die.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 07:04:34 am »

wow, how friendly. Are you this awesome in real life, KH? Because I totally want to be friends with people who say things like that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 07:10:26 am »

I totally want to be friends with people who defend hired killers, so that is a good thing.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 07:33:54 am »

oh, haha, sorry! I have this thing I do where if one person says "hello, nice to meet you" and another person says "you are pond scum. die." I pick sides pretty quickly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 07:37:38 am »

Likewise, I have this thing where I don't like people who could have done more who choose to feed themselves with the blood of others.  It is not easy to get into Academies, therefore this guy could have gone to nearly any school in the nation, but chose the one that allows him to kill.

Also, the people that defend them.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Panopticon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 07:40:06 am »

Well.  This was unexpected.  I was under the misapprehension that this is mainly a place where people come to discuss a comic written for amusement, not a vehicle through which to semi-anonymously disparage the life choices of others.

Joining the military, whether enlisted or officer, whether rationally considered or as an alternative to Wal-Mart, doesn't somehow add up to bloodlust or a callous heart.  Joining the military doesn't even necessarily mean one supports current foreign policy.  But foreign policy decisions aren't up to the military the way our government is structured, nor should they be.  Moreover, there are a multitude of jobs in the armed services through which one can help provide for the nation's defense without being anything remotely resembling a "hired killer."  You make many assumptions, Mr. Hernandez.

And no, theinevitable, there is no governmental anti-Achewood conspiracy.  Recently, though, due to some network security concerns on campus here, they set up a filter that blocks our access to "questionable" sites (pornography, gambling, illegal miscellany), and for some reason Victoria's Secret's website was apparently among those blocked.  Anyway, female midshipmen who actually wanted to purchase clothing complained and I hear they've since restored access.  I suppose the administration feared network security was at risk so long as midshipmen were ogling the models; it seems they didn't anticipate legitimate purposes among those of the fairer sex here.
Logged
"Superman? Superman?!"
"Supraman."

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 08:10:51 am »

Wow, Keith.  Wow. 

Kinda crass, there.   
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 08:12:09 am »

First of all, not always, but in your case.

Second, yeah, I guess some people just defend imaginary lines, tell the killers where to go, develop the killers weapons and rape other countries women.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Panopticon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 08:42:08 am »

This internet thing we've got going here is pretty darned amazing.  You can effortlessly and inexpensively communicate with people across the globe.  You can share ideas and opinions to an extent humans never dreamed of a few generations ago.  It amazes me that some people use it instead to spew venom at people they've never even met.  I'd simply say "let's agree to disagree," but this seems like too much of a fundamental, core-outlook-of-the-world type of incongruity for even that.  Regardless, I came to this board because it looked like a group of smart, generally good people with whom to talk about some words and drawings of anthropomorphic animals.  I've never met another real skin and gristle and bone human being who even heard of Achewood, much less enjoyed it (despite my attempts to introduce it to a number of people), so I figured I'd enjoy a little Achewood-related discourse with some virtual folk.  I thought it'd be polite to say hello and a little about myself.  But that doesn't matter.

Cartoon.  Cats. I like the comic.  I like how Roast Beef gets all angry-indignant when he's drunk, or when he's finished hacking Yahoo.  I like the two-week Uncle Culpepper buildup, even going so far as to off a main character, only to end in the 'bots tearing around in a pickup truck.  I like Ray's Hemingway-voiced blogging wristwatch ("He read a website about Italian sports cars, and then one about loose women").  Cartoon cats.  Exchange of non-vitriolic ideas.  Let's do this.
Logged
"Superman? Superman?!"
"Supraman."

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 11:39:34 am »

Hi.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 12:01:35 pm »

Nice first post, Pan. Sorry I wasn't awake to do something about the rabid ravings. Please ignore them.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 12:31:28 pm »

Keith, you should never be a dick to strangers EVER.

Please stop being a dick, dude.  Seriously, if you feel the need to be a tremendous dick, please go where such dicktitude is welcomed and expected.  Go be a dick on Slashdot, dude.  Go to YouTube and just post "taht suxxed" for every video you see.

Just keep it out of my house, Keith.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 12:58:22 pm »

Party foul.


So, how's Annapolis? Enjoying the crab cakes? I feel like a tool because I've lived near Maryland for so long and never learned to pick crabs.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up