Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.  (Read 18427 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 01:12:44 pm »

Hi Pan!  Welcome.  

You know, I was sort of thinking that us old timers should sort of think up a short intro about who we are, since it's hard to discern who's who at first.  I still have trouble keeping some people straight.  

side_show:  I am a mod, longtime reader/poster.  Things that might make me stand out to you as a human (not just random lines of text): I'm Canadian, a theatre artist/writer, and I had an extensive list of insane jobs that put me through university/the first few years of establishing my artistic career, which are fodder for many story/posts of mine including: person in old folks home who put food in blender to mush it, KFC, peer sex-educator, porn video store cashier, Wal-Mart, bookstore, comic & used book store, distributor of food samples (Dunkaroos!), sex column writer, art gallery employee, asst. art gallery manager, call centre 1, call centre 2, call centre 3, actor, file clerk, journalist, workshop planner at children's theatre, playwright, director...  There's more, but I can't remember right now.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 07:12:06 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 02:04:19 pm »

So, how's Annapolis? Enjoying the crab cakes? I feel like a tool because I've lived near Maryland for so long and never learned to pick crabs.

I finally realized after living in Maryland for over ten years - you know, I just don't like crab cakes that much. I am sorry if that makes me some kind of traitor.

I like side_show's idea as far as reading everyone else's intros. Writing my own, not so much.  But maybe we should split it to another thread?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 02:29:09 pm »

I finally realized after living in Maryland for over ten years - you know, I just don't like crab cakes that much. I am sorry if that makes me some kind of traitor.

I guess that's OK. I've lived in VA for 18 years and I don't like ham. Or senseless bigotry. There's no rule that says you have to like the things that your state is known for.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 02:43:46 pm »

Welcome Pan.

Way to be a crap dude Hernandez.  You're welcome to your opinion, but if you can't express it in a civil manner this probably isn't the place for you.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 02:53:55 pm »

Welcome, Pan.

Keith's heart is in the right place... from a certain point of view, not wanting anyone to die... but that is neither the voice of progressives here nor was it the polite or sane things to do.

I'm pretty much as against the war against the Iraqi people as anyone in the worldwho hasn't had my family killed in the streets but... man, I salute your drive to serve your country directly. I think nearly everyone here does.

Do I think the motherfuckers in charge are cynically manipulating the noble service of hundreds of thousands of cats like you to settle petty vendettas, enforce hallucinatory religious zealotry and stuck money in the pockets of people already born rich?

Yeah.

If you told me that you were on the cusp of a decision to join up or not today, would I suggest that maybe you find a different way to serve your country until These Bastards are off the reigns and there are people who will respect and honour your drive to service?

Such as "maybe be an EMT or a firefighter or in the Peace Corps or something until someone deserving of leadership is in charge and then get involved later"?

Sure.

But the betrayal of your noble urge by Soulless Rich Fucks ain't on you.

Thank you for being prepared to give everything for us. Am I afraid your potential sacrifice could be wasted by people who only know for silver spoons and Bible study? Yes. Definitely yes.

But that ain't on you. In a saner America, there would be no parentheticals on your service.

Don't judge Keith too harshly, though. There is madness in every direction. Our very culture is on the verge of a nervous breakdown over their inability to reconcile their love of the people trying to defend us and the... abject horror... that those brave men and women have been forced to be involved in.

There is madness in all of us now, blood running from 10000 miles away and on through our television sets in washed-out video flickers, not stopping, nowhere near consideration of stopping.

It is making us all do and say things rashly and from passion before reflection.

Welcome, Pan. It's a fun ride, this Touamb.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 03:00:04 pm »

Pan,

If you've read the archives, you know that threads veering wildly off topic is an ancient and noble tradition here. Don't take it personally.

Welcome.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 03:14:27 pm »

Pan,

If you've read the archives, you know that threads veering wildly off topic is an ancient and noble tradition here. Don't take it personally.

Welcome.

We are not a wasteful people and try to use every part of the thread.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 04:34:20 pm »

Avatar and sig on the first post, that's a classy move whether you've killed a man or not.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 04:35:38 pm »

Considering that my father, stepfather, both grandfathers, one grandmother, four great grandfathers, good friends, casual acquaintances of moral stripe I admire and thousands of others who I don't know and haven't met, have stood on those imaginary lines for all of us (Canadian friends included) as "voluntary hired killers", here's a virtual cockpunch to those who spit on them for their service.  There's a moral difference between guard dogs and wolves, KH.  The funny thing about the dog, is that even when the sheep piss on him, he's still watching for the wolves.

Canis lupus suffers unfairly in my metaphor, of course, but c'est la vie
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Panopticon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 05:10:39 pm »

I am enjoying the absurdity of the image of a guard dog sustaining sheep urination.  He has seen this before and the look in his eyes says he is too tired to reprimand the simple woolly creature.  He is jaded, this dog, in my mind.  He is bored of sheep piss.  Come up with some new tricks, sheep, he thinks.  The pissing thing has lost its luster.

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes.  I do indeed enjoy the occasional crab cake.  I've read enough of the archives to be somewhat familiar with the sweeping tangentiality of many of the threads, and I have enjoyed witnessing some of the odd places the conversations eventually find themselves.  In your face, collective thread titles.  Don't try to chain us down to one topic, etc.
Logged
"Superman? Superman?!"
"Supraman."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007, 05:11:33 pm »

Morning, Ralph.

Morning, Sam.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 06:24:29 pm »

Most people enter the armed forces for the noblest of reasons.  They can't be held responsible for the policies of their superiors in Washington.  I'm dismayed by the fact that American military personel have been involved in way too many attrocities, but that's what happens when you give a bunch of young guys big guns and then throw them in a pressure cooker.  I don't however think that all military personnel are pond scum hired killers filled with rage and bloodlust.  Panopticon, you seem like a very non crap dude.  You like Achewood and that is what's pertinent. Welcome to TOUAMB.

Per Melanie's suggestion...  Hi, I am Paul, I am the board's picture guy.  I am the boards second eldest member and I have returned to college after being in the workforce for over 20 years.  I'm also known as the moustache guy and once the entire board but moustaches on their avatars in tribute to me.  I won the Mr. Congeniality award at the 205 TOUAMBies.  I also placed 2nd in the TOUAMBie MVP contest placing a distant second to Side Show.  I've been here since day 1 and I am member no. 12.

Keith, you should never be a dick to strangers EVER.  You have been warned!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 06:37:20 pm »

Speaking of TOUAMB members in the military…

You guys remember lprkn? AKA "Porkin"? AKA "LepreKHAAAAAAN"? Got shipped off to Iraq almost a year ago?

Does anyone know if he returned with all his f-a-c-u-l-t-i-e-s intact?

Also: Welcome.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 07:03:30 pm »


Does anyone know if he returned with all his f-a-c-u-l-t-i-e-s intact?


Here's a can for you -- with love and squalor.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tippings of hats and shakings of hands.
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 08:24:21 pm »

howdy, I'm TheInevitable! Or... Daniel.
I am in college in St Louis. I play guitar, and want to be in a band. I am from Charlotte, NC. I have posted on this board for... a year and almost a half. I have a large number of posts because I post too often. I am trying to check the boards less often, but it hardly works.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up