Over the past several months or so, I've been engaged in a grand project. I'm trying to digitize my music collection. So, I'm playing all my albums, cassettes and yes my extensive 8-track collection into my computer, saving the tracks as MP3's and burning CD's.
It's been kinda fun to listen to music I haven't heard in years. I took a break for several weeks and just started back tonight. I've got a stack of albums 21 inches high to convert.
I propose to share my listening experiences with my pals here on the Achewood board. Feel free to ignore or make fun of me as you wish.
Tonight's first album was Barrett, Syd Barrett's second (and final) solo album. I've always loved this album. It's so goofy and weird. Also, it's almost a companion piece to Piper and Saucerful because David Gilmour and Rick Wright produced the album and play on all the tracks. Delightfully absurd, from Rats to Baby Lemonade to Effervescing Elephant.
I tried to record Herbie Hancock's Headhunters but had problems. For some reason it was seriously scratchy in the middle sections. I aborted and will try this one again later.
Right now I'm on side two of Mingus at the Bohemia. This has long been a favorite of mine. It's the only Mingus album I own, but it makes me wish I had much more. The tone, the attitude is just perfect here. Mingus is easily in my top ten jazz musicians (in no particular order -- Monk, Parker, Coltrane, Coleman, Mingus, Davis, Dolphy, Armstrong, Ellington, Gillespie) based on this album alone. That being said, I haven't listened to it for a looong time, so it's great to hear it.