Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 100 Mile eating  (Read 5234 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
100 Mile eating
« on: March 26, 2007, 08:50:42 pm »

I've been thinking seriously about joining this group and taking the challenge this fall.  It's a really intersting idea, but also a bit terrifying.  That said, I totally love gardening, and the idea of learning to can and preserve is so quaint and salt-of-the-earth that I think it could be pretty cool.  I'm really into the whole slow-food way of cooking to begin with.  An awesome weekend could be making and freezing home made pasta made of local grains.  I would enjoy this so very much!  The idea of living off frozen/canned food for all of winter is gross, gross, gross to me, though!  Root vegetables and squashes will keep without freezing.  The challenge is only for 100 days from Sept to Dec...  I can see implementing the practice without being a stickler after that though.  Plus the org. is based walking distance to my neighborhood, which is a big plus.

Anyone think I'm insane?  Anyone done this or interested in trying it out? 

In a crazy way, what I want is to know is that if civilization as we know it ends tomorrow, I can still sustain and even thrive.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 09:09:29 pm »

I don't know. I think the limits would drive me crazy after a week or so. I try to eat as much local food as possible, and I like the idea behind it, morally. But as I say, if it's limited to just this...
If you can source a good charcutery within 100 miles of you for instance, then maybe...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:14:04 pm »

Oh man, I could never do this. I shop at the farmer's markets as much as I can all summer, but basically, I know that I am screwed if civilization ends. I have absolutely no useful skills, and there's no point in pretending otherwise.

Also, civilization is just marginal enough in my neighborhood that freezing stuff wouldn't work for the long run.  As soon as I have a full freezer we always have one of those infuriating power outages where my block is dark but I can look out the window and see the traffic lights on the corner and the whole downtown still lit up.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 02:46:33 am »

I keep asking women here to teach me how to smoke, prepare, and can salmon and make blueberry jam, but it hasn't come to fruition yet. I haven't actually pestered them at the right time of year. I'd like to learn how to do it, though.

And Ash... if you were at my house, those tomatoes would be used up DAMN FAST. A couple batches of homemade curry, and a batch of homemade spaghetti sauce would use them up right quick. I love tomatoes. Someday I'll live someplace where I can grow them myself and can them at the end of the summer.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 02:53:18 am »

The idea of self-sufficient life skills has always been of interest to me. So much so that I do it for lengths of time such as a week on the Appalachian Trail (next trip possibly 2 weeks this June). So to that end, I encourage your pursuit.

I looked at the website and I'm still not clear how getting locally grown food is of benefit. Is it just the idea of eating fresh produce and supporting local farmers?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 03:48:56 am »

The idea of self-sufficient life skills has always been of interest to me. So much so that I do it for lengths of time such as a week on the Appalachian Trail (next trip possibly 2 weeks this June). So to that end, I encourage your pursuit.

I looked at the website and I'm still not clear how getting locally grown food is of benefit. Is it just the idea of eating fresh produce and supporting local farmers?

Totally.  Also, knowing and meeting farmers is a community building act,  as is the group itself.  If you get to know the food producers themselves, better food choices can be made.  This is the magic of farm folk, who I've spent a lot of time with already with both the SO and I being first generation city kids - when you have a relationship with the person who grew/raised the food, you get the inside track:  the red peppers are nice and sweet this year, the cabbage has some sort of blight and isn't keeping well, this chickens only good for stewing... etc.  They also argue that food safety is less of a concern (not sure if I believe this, unless you grow it yourself, there's no way of really knowing.  Is a larger farm more or less likely to maintain safety standards?  I don't know.)  The linked sites also talk about a reduced ecological footprint, as purchasing more locally reduces transportation of goods and related pollution.

Also, Ash, I must agree with linnea - what world do you live in where there is too much tomato anything?  Isn't the idea of canning that it'll keep til it's needed?  Or am I wrong?

(edit:  also, there is a theory that it is healthiest to eat food native to where your ancestors are from.  Mine are from right where I lived, hence another benifit)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 02:21:50 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 04:52:32 am »

well, yeah. Kind of like how it makes more sense to buy everything at a huge discount from Sam's Club, in crate-portions. I think there is a Seinfeld episode that deals with this, re: buying 4 gallons of Heinz ketchup.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 10:05:30 pm »

also, there is a theory that it is healthiest to eat food native to where your ancestors are from.  Mine are from right where I lived, hence another benifit.

You're of Cree descent?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 12:42:28 am »

If you guyzos can contemplate massive quantities of  tomatoes over days or weeks then cool, it's a deal for you. Me, I'd start wondering if housecat was any good.

Oh, never turn down housecat. Delicious!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 04:17:00 am »

You're of Cree descent?

Metis if you want to split hairs, but yeah I am of predominantly Cree/French blood. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 10:14:42 pm »

Someday I'll live someplace where I can grow them myself and can them at the end of the summer.

Or if you lived here, at the start of the summer.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 10:18:45 pm »

If you guyzos can contemplate massive quantities of  tomatoes over days or weeks then cool, it's a deal for you.

I eat tomatoes virtually every meal.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 11:42:35 pm »

Wouldn't Thomas Jefferson be proud?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 11:47:17 pm »

Absolutely. TJ wanted America to be an entire nation of agrarian farmers who never had the time to be lazy or get on each others nerves.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 100 Mile eating
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 01:24:31 am »

the concept of "not having time to be lazy" is hilarious. Is this just me?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up